Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some games just not worth a trade in

Options
  • 29-01-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

I'm just back from xtravision who I believed were the best place to trade in games but my good god did I get ripped off :mad: I understand that older games won't get much and depreciate as soon as you buy them, but I have to say I traded in Fifa 09, I know it's an old ass game but I was offered 10 cent for it.

I knew it would be low but that's a bit much and considering I saw it on sale 2nd hand for €15.00 just before I left, how can they justify that?? Any one else think that the trade in prices are just ridiculous on old games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I never really understand why people trade in any games.

Sell them privatley or keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

Well some of the games I traded in I got more than what some people were offering me, but seriously old game trading prices are shocking for the price they re sell them at!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ntlbell wrote: »

same, i dont like trading in games, unleas its super crap.

i love to keep my games, then in a good few years, its allways interesting to see your collectionand what you played.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

this, I traded in Blops on the ps3 for Blops on the xbox due to the lag issues and wound up paying a tenner for it, but i never trade in games, I always replay stuff so I've wound up buying things again a year later, so I wind up paying more for the same game. the prices you're offered are ridiculous as well, i was gonna trade MW2 for the xbox one but gamestop were offering me 9 euro for it, 9 fcuking euro for a game thats still 49.99 to buy new from them.

what makes me laugh is when you see a preowned game of a release thats been out ages. and its a fiver less than the new version, dunno about anyone else but id pay the extra fiver for the unopened one as opposed to the one thats had someones grubby mitts all over it.

Well some of the games I traded in I got more than what some people were offering me, but seriously old game trading prices are shocking for the price they re sell them at!

fifa 09 for 15e, I don't think they're "selling" at all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

Well i doubt anyone is buying it but how can they be brazen enogh to ask for €15 and offer 10c for trade in? I never used to trade in games but there are certain games that you just can't play again when you complete it.

Well i doubt anyone is buying it but how can they be brazen enogh to ask for €15 and offer 10c for trade in? I never used to trade in games but there are certain games that you just can't play again when you complete it.

To put you off trading it in I assume :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

why do you think game developers are so pissed off with the second hand market ? :D Because mugs will trade in a game worth 50 euro for 20, thinking they're getting a great deal, and then go buy another second hand game for 40euro. The only games i ever trade are the really **** ones that someone buys you for your birthday or something... you know the kind... Halo/BF2 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

same, i dont like trading in games, unleas its super crap.

i love to keep my games, then in a good few years, its allways interesting to see your collectionand what you played.

Agreed completely. I'm a collector, as well as a player, and it's very very rare that I'd trade in a game. Traded in Iron Man 2 a few months ago. I think that was the first game I've traded in about five years. If a game is good, it's alway worth replaying a few years later, so I keep'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I seen it for £2 preowned in Game up north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Nearly certain Fifa 09 was €5 last time I was in Xtravision. Never know though, they do change prices regularly. I got Fifa 11 before xmas for €35 normal price and was bemused when i saw it 'on sale' for that price after xmas, with the normal price €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Any game that has a year in a title loses it's resale value dramatically from one year to the next, is the thing. Once the newer title is out, you get piles of them in, and sell very few.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

deathrider wrote: »
    Agreed completely. I'm a collector, as well as a player, and it's very very rare that I'd trade in a game. Traded in Iron Man 2 a few months ago. I think that was the first game I've traded in about five years. If a game is good, it's alway worth replaying a few years later, so I keep'em.

I couldnt imagine trading in something like Ico or Mario Galaxy or something, one of my friends traded metal gear 2+3 on ps2 and got about 4 quid for them, seriously?! how is that a worthwhile trade? I'd rather pay the 4 quid I would have made and keep the games.

this will make you laugh, wanna know how much Gamestop offered my housemate for his 40gb phat PS3?

€20, twenty fcuking euro. what a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Football games date very quickly. Best off trading them at least 4 months before the next ones comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

to be honest 10c is even good price lol.

who will buy a 2 year old football game, when there is new one out every year... i honestly cant understand what can you do better every year, as still a field, few poeple and a ball....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

to be honest 10c is even good price lol.

who will buy a 2 year old football game, when there is new one out every year... i honestly cant understand what can you do better every year, as still a field, few poeple and a ball....

It's mainly for the team rosters and new player info.

To add to what I said earlier - the reason they only offer ten cent is because they don't actually really want that game. It's not worth anything, it's just going to sit on the shop shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

To add to what I said earlier - the reason they only offer ten cent is because they don't actually really want that game. It's not worth anything, it's just going to sit on the shop shelf.

This is true. Have a look at anywhere that still does second hand PS2 games. 90% of them are fifa games from various years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

[QUOTE=krudler;70354381

€20, twenty fcuking euro. what a joke.[/QUOTE]

Good grief thats bad,I wonder how much I would get for fifa 10 and pes 10..hmmm

Good grief thats bad,I wonder how much I would get for fifa 10 and pes 10..hmmm

well if 09 is worth 20cent, i'll offer you 80cent for the lot ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

well if 09 is worth 20cent, i'll offer you 80cent for the lot ;)

Got urself a deal mister ;-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement