Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNMP on UPC Cisco EPC2425 ?

• 29-01-2011 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an EPC2425 and want to use SNMP on it. It won't respond to "public". Is it even enabled and if not, any idea how I could go about getting it enabled ? Even the most basic routers seem to support SNMP. I just want to monitor my bandwidth real time with a small utility. Cisco manual confirms SNMP is part of Spec.

C

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Just got UPC 30 Mb and had exactly the same question as yourself.

I haven't found an answer yet but did confirm that the Cisco EPC2425 is indeed supposed to be SNMP capable.

If you save the config to local disk and then look at it in Notepad, it's just a plain text file you can edit. I expect it would be possible to add some settings to it, then copy it back to the router, to enable Telnet and/or SNMP, both of which would be useful.

But as yet, I haven't been able to track down any documentation for the config file format. The router seems to be originally a Scientific Atlanta model, before Cisco bought them, so my next step is to trawl through some of their old config manuals to see if the format is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I'd also be very interested in this. I've been trying to get SNMP working too, but unfortunately I didn't have any luck yet.

I'm using SNMP a lot at other sites for bandwidth monitoring, because the router is the best place for this. I have a script that checks the OctetsIn/Out counters every 5 minutes and deals with rollovers, etc. Would be the best way to make sure I stay within the 250GB cap because it captures the usage of every device on the lan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭championc

After emailing UPC Support last week, I finally got a call back yesterday to say that they don't support this on their router and as far as they are concerned, that's the way they ship the router and no changes to this setup is possible. I couldn't quite ascertain as to whether they are turning it off or whether the router comes to them originally and they have no access to turn it on. No matter what, the end result is the same - nout !!

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

its probably part of their dastardly scheme to let people go over their 250gb AUP and then automatically upgrade them to the €80 per month extreme package to generate more revenue. :)

after all, they have no problem monitoring people's usage, but don't seem to want to give users access to monitor it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭championc

I had noticed that the Manual mentioned SNMP v3. What I didn't realize was that v3 uses a Username and password rather than a community string and that maybe v3 can be implemented WITHOUT v1 or v2

C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pollus

Did anybody got on top of this thing?

I was not able to find an option to do so.

Firmware I use is: epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100519cs_upc.bin

Advanced option well all of them give me this : “This feature has not been enabled in your cable modem.”

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Advertisement