Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surviving with no money ?

• 29-01-2011 7:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

I live on my own and actually survived without a cent for 4 days ! My fridge was kinda full and I walked a fair bit. I could have gotten a loan from someone but did'nt. Once your belly is full and you have a warm bed, you will be ok. monday thru to friday with 22cent. If I had no food I would have gone crying to someone.
    My internet was running so I could check tv guide online and I went without my daily paper, which I love ! Could u do it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Well, if I had everything I needed like you did, then yes sure, I don't see the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Often have survived without money for long periods. Having a full fridge would have been lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

lol wut surviving without money for a few days is a lot more impressive when you dont have a fully stocked fridge and a house with electricity..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

So what your saying is if I spent my money on food and heat and electricity and phone bills,could I live without more money?

Em,I think most people in Ireland do this every week....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Well, if I had everything I needed like you did, then yes sure, I don't see the issue?
    The issue is Knowing you have nothing not even a bar of chocolate...and walking !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You had food, electricity, internet and tv.

What a hero you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

four18 wrote: »
    The issue is Knowing you have nothing not even a bar of chocolate...and walking !
    But that doesn't apply to you as you didn't "have nothing". You may not have spent money but you had everything you needed in the first place. Your bed won't be warm in this weather either with nothing (gonna need extra bedding at least).

I walked into town and back today too - no biggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Usersname

I done it with no food. Too proud to ask for help. Worst. Experience. Ever. At least now I know how the starving masses feel 24/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I live on my own and actually survived without a cent for 4 days ! My fridge was kinda full and I walked a fair bit. I could have gotten a loan from someone but did'nt. Once your belly is full and you have a warm bed, you will be ok. monday thru to friday with 22cent. If I had no food I would have gone crying to someone.
    My internet was running so I could check tv guide online and I went without my daily paper, which I love ! Could u do it ?

what would the loan be for, you had more than the essentials to survive. If you had not eaten for four days Id say something. As for the paper you had the internet. I could go days and not spend money.

• Advertisement

Remmy wrote: »
    lol wut surviving without money for a few days is a lot more impressive when you dont have a fully stocked fridge and a house with electricity..
    Point taken !

no disposable income != no money at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Surviving with no money shopping.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

Sure as long as you had food, you were grand!

What you are describing as unusual is completely normal to me. I don't have much money and pretty much all of my monthly budget goes on buying cheap food, rent, heat, internet and phone. Apart from that I don't spend anything.

What more could you need if you've got a roof over your head, enough food to keep you going and access to the internet? Sure, it would be nice to have an extra few bob to go out and do something fun, but you're not going to die without that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

My fridge was kinda full and I walked a fair bit.

I read this as 'wanked a fair bit'. Had to do a double take. Sick mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

I've often gone through the week without spending any money, I do a big shop whenever we are low on food, put petrol in the car once a week and that's usually all I need. Not every week obviously but most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

When I lived in Dublin I walked to work every day 35 minutes in each direction, made my own coffee, and brought my own lunch and snacks from home (that I purchased from Aldi). I didn't eat out during the week.

For many people, your "achievement" is standard modus operandi. Try it when you do actually have money coming in and see how quickly you can build up your savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

well if you have a fridge full of food, internet bill paid for, a warm bed well it'd be dead easy to live with 22c a week..

now try that 22c to get you over the next week when your fridge empties out - and then the week after.. and the week after again..

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

Last Tuesday we bought a week's worth of petrol, paid 40 to the school for some books/expenses long overdue, bought groceries in Aldi which should (again hopefully) see us through til next tuesday, made a loan payment and paid my friend back 100 I owed her. We had 15 euro left, family of 5. That ran out by thursday. Not a bob left now til next tuesday when we'll do the same ol' ding dong, just different things (phone/ESB gonna be cut off any day so they're next to be paid, partially anyway). It's my life now. Used to be so much better. I still haven't paid my other loan or the mortgage yet for January.

Yeah it sucks. I want to pay the mortgage on time and the other bills. I want to get the kids some new clothes, I want to treat them to the cinema. I want to buy a coffee and cake in a cafe. I want to go on a holiday. I want to just have some money in my purse. I want to take my mother out for a meal. I want a TV that doesn't f-ing cut out every half hour. I'm fed up of it. But it's normal life now. For many people. I hope things pick up soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Debthree wrote: »
    Last Tuesday we bought a week's worth of petrol, paid 40 to the school for some books/expenses long overdue, bought groceries in Aldi which should (again hopefully) see us through til next tuesday, made a loan payment and paid my friend back 100 I owed her. We had 15 euro left, family of 5. That ran out by thursday. Not a bob left now til next tuesday when we'll do the same ol' ding dong, just different things (phone/ESB gonna be cut off any day so they're next to be paid, partially anyway). It's my life now. Used to be so much better. I still haven't paid my other loan or the mortgage yet for January.

Yeah it sucks. I want to pay the mortgage on time and the other bills. I want to get the kids some new clothes, I want to treat them to the cinema. I want to buy a coffee and cake in a cafe. I want to go on a holiday. I want to just have some money in my purse. I want to take my mother out for a meal. I want a TV that doesn't f-ing cut out every half hour. I'm fed up of it. But it's normal life now. For many people. I hope things pick up soon.

after reading that it makes me grateful for having a job and realising how lucky I am. I hope things improve for you soon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Worst thread ever OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 daniel.ocarroll

This isn't gonna help MUCH, but find all the coins in your hours, get those counting bags from AIB (or your local bank), divide into denominations, and lodge. I found €120 worth. Every little helps.

Also, buy everything from Tesco Value. Quality suffers (somewhat), but it can make a huge difference to the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.same.

I survived in the forest for 2 years and 8 mths without money, just a tent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

phasers wrote: »
    Worst thread ever OP.

Ah no! There are worse.....just check some of mine!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I remember when I was a child I survived for years without any money. Move over Eddie Hobbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

I work full-time and all wages accounted for and spent as soon as they are lodged each week. After shopping and bills are taken care off, there is no money left over. There is no money for outings or treats. However, I consider myself lucky to be able to afford to eat plenty of home cooked food and the odd glass of wine (at home) and stay on top of the bills...just about. I can also afford to buy a newspaper at the weekend when I also have the time to read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

A friend of mine told me just last week that she had only €5 left and was waiting for her hubby's pay day in January.

She is down on her luck at the moment. Sad really, cause they have the last kid at college and it is crippling them. We are part of a local Club and after a meeting it entailed going for just one! She could not afford to go and articulated very well by saying " I am in my late 40's and can see no way out. It is terrible to reach this stage of your life and not to have money"! This is true and sad.

She came to the pub as I insisted and we just had the TWO but it was a nice release for her.

I bet there are loads of stories like that at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

What your saying is dont spend money for 4 days??? its kinda stupid thinking you have achieved something here when your fridge was full and your bed was warm... you just did nothing for 4 days.. big woop! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

Really sorry to hear of your situation. :( is there any way you could get financial assistance from welfare? or possibly cut down on bills?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Terrible thread TBH, a lot of people live like that these days, get a bit of cash at the start of the week, use it to buy groceries to get you through to next week when you will (hopefully) get enough money for another shop.

It's not a nice way to live, especially if your friends are going out for pints or something but what's necessary is necessary. The most worrying thing is that if you find yourself in a dodgy situation like stranded somewhere or something, you wouldn't be able to afford credit to call anybody (though I'm sure you had a phone full of credit OP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Hey OP

I think people are being a tad harsh. I cant think of the last time I went 4 days without spending anything - even if I did have food at home. There is usually always something I see that I buy.

My circumstances have changed recently so going a day or two here without spending has become the norm, but 4 days, not dont that yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Consider yourself lucky. I once heard of a p-p-poor b-b-bollocks who had to survive on a Minister for Finance's salary. This saint, no martyr, did it in the 1980s too. We should build a massive white elephant sports stadium in his honour.

.same. wrote: »
    I survived in the forest for 2 years and 8 mths without money, just a tent

Why would you need money in a forest though?Unless you wanted to go to starbucks or macdonalds I suppose..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

OP, I have to ask, what's your average monthly income? do you work? what branded food etc. was the fridge full of? also, why were you so strapped for cash?

As others may have pointed out, and I genuinely don't mean this in a nasty way, but your dilemma wouldn't be viewed as such by many single parents around the country tbh, many of them face the same scenario on a regular basis.

To be fair, I haven't read the entire thread so I could be out of line with my post, not my intention, just seems as though you're proud of going a few days without spending money, and spending money every day, even if not needed seems like a very celtic tiger mentality. (don't you know there's a recession on? :P )

No offence meant, just wondering about the logic.

Kinda puts me in my place, I really hope things pick up for you. M

• Advertisement

That story is the legacy left behind by the FFkers. I hope things pick up for you. Who knows, it may pick up as quick as things went down the ****ter

Hearing things like this puts me off having kids, until I am certain of secure income/win the lotto!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

LIAR!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.same.

Why would you need money in a forest though?Unless you wanted to go to starbucks or macdonalds I suppose..
    the thing is i survived without any £££, i had to live in the forest to survive. It's not that hard when you get into it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm sure I could do it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I went 2 weeks without spending a cent before. Was in the Amazon in Ecuador though staying with a tribe and all the food was hunted or picked.

• Advertisement

I went 2 weeks without spending a cent before. Was in the Amazon in Ecuador though staying with a tribe and all the food was hunted or picked.

Thats nothing.Back in my day we didn't have rainforests..and we were glad of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Thats nothing.Back in my day we didn't have rainforests..and we were glad of it.

You'd have to walk barefoot through the snow for three days just to get to a rainforest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

salonfire wrote: »

Hearing things like this puts me off having kids, until I am certain of secure income/win the lotto!

For this reason alone I don't think I'll ever have a child.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

.same. wrote: »
    the thing is i survived without any £££, i had to live in the forest to survive. It's not that hard when you get into it.
    Since when did they have the internet in a forest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

yyyyup .. sure its perfectly normal. don't worry about it! sooner this than struggling to survive, with money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Ive been doing that for about 15 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

its what i was built to do. trudge windswept mountains in the rain, with nothing but a plastic poncho and sausage and beans in a foil pack.

sometimes i scale dangerous rafters, just for a pidgeon's egg. then i climb down again

Survived for 5 days only eating Weetabix.. Was told I looked white at the end of it.

Dean0088 wrote: »
    LIAR!! :D
    I never realised you were watching me !
    Such a silly comment which does not even warrrent a reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Talk to these people, they'll help you manage your money better and pay off your loans easier. http://www.mabs.ie/

• Advertisement
Advertisement