Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Faults

Options
  • 29-01-2011 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi
    I replaced my old aritech alarm with a new HKC one yesterday as had been getting faults and had been unable to resolve them i also put in a new sabb. When setting up the new alarm i kept getting ext bell tamper so i have put a resistor across the tamper and bho to stop this. All had been fine untill a hour ago when i got a fault again. was unable to stop the ext bell from ringing from the panel so had to disconnect the siren from it.

Has anybody and ideas of what is causing this as i am at my wits ends,
    much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

So when it went off what fault displayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jtceltic

ex fuse fault in panel, i`ll replace this and it should work but just cant see what is causing this as it is new

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

jtceltic wrote: »
    ex fuse fault in panel, i`ll replace this and it should work but just cant see what is causing this as it is new

It sounds like there is a fault on the cable,this is why the fuse keeps blowing. Take the bell down and wire it in beside the panel just to be sure. If you have a multimeter you can test the cable for faults. Installing the external bell without the tamper is not advisable either.

thanks ill try that tomorrow, it just seemed strange that it worked for the guts of 12 hours and then decided to go. If there was a fault in the cable i would of expected the fuse to blow straight away.

also is there a way of stopping the siren from the panel when there is a fault besides having to get up on a ladder as i don`t fancy doing this in the middle of the night :)

thanks ill try that tomorrow, it just seemed strange that it worked for the guts of 12 hours and then decided to go. If there was a fault in the cable i would of expected the fuse to blow straight away.

also is there a way of stopping the siren from the panel when there is a fault besides having to get up on a ladder as i don`t fancy doing this in the middle of the night :)

Could be a cross on the cable. I would think something is up with it as the tamper did not work for you either.

If you dont connect the battery in the external bell you will be able to disconnect it from the control panel to stop the siren sounding ;)
    Just remember when you do get it fixed to reconnect the battery :D

• Advertisement

ok thanks for your help ill give this a bash tomorrow, if its the cable its gonna be a nightmare to replace but at least ill know what im dealing with

ok thanks for your help ill give this a bash tomorrow, if its the cable its gonna be a nightmare to replace but at least ill know what im dealing with

Please tell me you used the new Securewave panel. If you did its only a mater of getting there wire free bell for it, if not there is a wire free bell made by GE that will go onto any alarm system.

ok tested the cable today and its all belling out ok, the fuse F4 was blown so replaced this and i have the sabb wired beside the panel all day and no problems so far, tamper is working fine too, fingers crossed it stays working and ill wire it back outside

Thats good to hear, you may have had a loose connection or the cable touching off the other while it was wired in. Hopefully it will all work out tomorrow.

still all working but just realised the fuse i replaced is a 1amp fast burn that i had spare in my toolbox, any idea`s where id gat a 800mA slow burn fuse, im in dublin but do be all over the country

• Advertisement

Should be handy enough to pick up in most electrical wholesalers. You might get one close to you on the suppliers list.

put back up the sabb and within 15 mins it has blown the fuse again, ive checked the cables again and alll is still ok. can`t think of anything else. could it be the type of fuse i had in that it worked ok when beside the unit but cant handle it when going outsie to the sabb

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You need to isolate this problem.
    Try this.
    Disconnect all the connections in the SABB & ensure they are seperated.
    Leave BHO & TR closed in the panel with a resistor.
    Leave the connections in the panel in place & activate the alarm.
    If it activates without blowing a fuse then connect in each cable one by one & repeat.
    Post your results .

put back up the sabb and within 15 mins it has blown the fuse again, ive checked the cables again and alll is still ok. can`t think of anything else. could it be the type of fuse i had in that it worked ok when beside the unit but cant handle it when going outsie to the sabb

I would not think its the fuse. It has to be a problem with the cable as it worked with no problems when you had it beside the panel. When you say you have tested the cable did you test each core, red with black, red with yellow, red with yellow and so on ?

yeah have tried them all, maybe it a small short that doesnt materialise until there is voltage going through it, i`m gonna have a look at replacing in now, thanks for the help. much appreciated

How many cores are in that cable.
    Try the way I said, it may be a single strand thats giving you trouble.
    The ideal solution is replace the cable but if you want an easy workaround??

yeah have tried them all, maybe it a small short that doesnt materialise until there is voltage going through it, i`m gonna have a look at replacing in now, thanks for the help. much appreciated

If thats the case replacing the cable would be the best option.

found the fault :) under a board in the attic there was a lovely join of cable, all 6 cores joined and just twisted together wit no insulation. I reckon the problem was when a bit of wind shook the board it caused a short. Should of checked this last week and saved myself a new alarm and sabb!!!

found the fault :) under a board in the attic there was a lovely join of cable, all 6 cores joined and just twisted together wit no insulation. I reckon the problem was when a bit of wind shook the board it caused a short. Should of checked this last week and saved myself a new alarm and sabb!!!

Good to hear that you found the fault, you also saved yourself a bit of work in the process :D

Advertisement