Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[D] PvZ Phoenix

• 29-01-2011 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭

Ok, this is the latest incarnation of my attempt at a Sair/DT esque sc2 build.

Number of things I have found.

#1 You cannot FFE before SG else your phoenix get there way too late, you're aiming to get the queens before they get that crucial round of drones in to saturate their nat. Also since you're NOT getting an early obs or halluc you need the scouting info. If you miss this window, you're pretty far behind, turtle tech on 2 base, abuse DTs if you're really far behind.
    #2 Skipping the colossi part is possible but I have just died straight up to hydra/ling even with dual forge upgrades, blink and DTs and 5 gates. Consider this the equiv to being 5 hatch hydra busted, without the 5 hatch requirement and the ability to kill hydras with speed zealots and a ****tier storm.
    #3 Do not do this build on close positions meta/LT/Steppes, you will die to hydra before you get anything out of your nat or simply get delayed too long by lings containing your main ramp. XN is doable but nat is usually delayed since it's so open, wall off backdoor entrance to it with 31 and 40 pylons.
    #4 Zs usually won't get spores at their 3rd/4th. Abuse this, much. Usually with DTs, if they take a really early 3rd, send your chronoed void ray (that I usually build right after my nexus (because the roach counter is popular)
    #5 Be greedy, if you see that their force is pretty much just hydra, get 2 colossi, take your third.
    #6 Add more void rays after your third (after DTs)
    #7 Significant danger of being hydra dropped while you're still transitioning into colossi, the solution to this is to hunt down every single overlord outside Zs bases and to be actively patrolling.
    Theoretical transitions on 4 base (if somehow you haven't won yet), add mothership. Z will now die.

This is about the most non all in PvZ build I have and the most fun to play, P should be able to turn the Z into a blind cripple.
    In this attached replay, replace proxy pylon with a warp prism if you don't manage to get it

If for some reason you're STILL behind (had an aneurysm while in battle and move commanded everything), your eco should be strong enough to hold, drop another stargate immediately and pump zealot/archon/void ray with like 2-3 colossi if he keeps with hydra, tech if you can to HTs, storm drop and zealot bomb(get warp prism speed).

I'm dicking around with the exact order I get stuff in though and that's probably what I'd like some feedback on most, mostly it's

Gate
    SG
    Gate
    Nexus

Gate

Gate or Robo

TC or Gate

DS or Bay

Nexus

#8 I don't have enough multitask really, xD.

I'll start adding replays as I iron things out more but, this is the general gist of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

early 3/4 phoenix can deal devastating damage to the Z's econ (even when i scouted SG, the range of spore cant really deal with them or they can just go overlord sniping).

i have yet seen any effective Z counter to this phoenix play :( if the Z can get enough hydras out to deal with that, the toss can lol at Z's hydras later by a nice colosus timing push:(

if i didnt prepare for the phoenix play(failed scout etc), i just go all in with all my army when i see his phoenix moved out :pac:

imo close-air position in LT is the best map for the phoenix play.gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Best position for phoenix play is long positions LT/Meta/Shakuras because the hydras are so slow :D.

Oh and, you can definitely go Gate/SG/Gate/Nexus/Gate/Robo+TC simultaneously/Shrine/Bay(optional) if you see him keeping to mass mutas or corrupters obviously temp archives is better and absolutely drop another SG or 2 by 20 mins for void rays + MShip) esp if when your phoenix get there he already has a lair, if not you can add on more gates first.

The purpose of this build is to slow down the Z, to prevent that runaway midgame economy that happens if you try and play a completely straight up macro game.

Advertisement