Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Octo LNB Help please

• 29-01-2011 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

I spent some of the day running 3 cables to extra boxes around the house today on top of the existing 2 cables that were running to my Sky HD box. I ordered an Octo LNB that said it was for a Sky Minidish, the photo on the site looked the right job.

The one I received is a Zinwell, it came with two brackets. One has a little spirit level feature and it looks as if it should sit on the arm of the dish, but it looks too flimsy to be the correct set up, as the little plastic screw would be insufficient to hold it in place.

The other bracket is designed to slip in to the arm of the dish, but it is too wide. Presumably my dish has been superseded and there is a newer version out, or else I'm being very dumb and can't figure it out. I can't phone the lads in Dublin I got it off until Monday, would like any suggestions or info anyone can provide please. Hopefully it's just a matter of getting a slimmer bracket that will fit snugly in to my current dish's arm.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I would say that your sky dish is a MK1. You probably have it more than 6-7 years
    The Octo lnb came with 2 adapters the one with the spirit level is a MK4
    and the other one is a legacey adapter for Mk 2-3 dish
    what you probably need is a Mk1 adapter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Thanks Scaller, that looks like the problem solved alright. Yes I have my dish since I got Sky Digital about 2000/2001. Currently it has an 'Andrew' quad that was fitted in 2008 when I got Sky + and subsequently HD in 2009. At least I can sound half intelligent when I ring them on Monday!

Is there a removeable collar/adapter on the Andrews lnb if so try that on your Octo.
    more info here about adaptors http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/skylnb.htm

The collar on the Andrew is unsuitable unfortunately. The photo of the Mark 1 adapter you linked above, what site did you take that from, it looks like the right one? I'm on that Satellite Superstore site and seem to be going around in circles.

• Advertisement

Fair play, thanks a million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I spent some of the day running 3 cables to extra boxes around the house today on top of the existing 2 cables that were running to my Sky HD box. I ordered an Octo LNB that said it was for a Sky Minidish, the photo on the site looked the right job.

The one I received is a Zinwell, it came with two brackets. One has a little spirit level feature and it looks as if it should sit on the arm of the dish, but it looks too flimsy to be the correct set up, as the little plastic screw would be insufficient to hold it in place.

The other bracket is designed to slip in to the arm of the dish, but it is too wide. Presumably my dish has been superseded and there is a newer version out, or else I'm being very dumb and can't figure it out. I can't phone the lads in Dublin I got it off until Monday, would like any suggestions or info anyone can provide please. Hopefully it's just a matter of getting a slimmer bracket that will fit snugly in to my current dish's arm.

I got one of those octo LNBs with the adapters several months ago. The existing quad LNB was on a plastic stalk which fitted inside the metal arm, so I puzzled about the new one for a while but eventually I just sat it around the existing arm and used an M4 (not 100% sure of the size) stainless nut and bolt. It's rock-solid on the dish.

Thanks Tony, I toyed with that idea but it just felt too flimsy, I was afraid of breaking the housing if I tightened the nut too tight and due to it not sitting right, I just didn't fancy it, glad to hear it worked for you, I should have been braver! I've ordered that part that Scaller recommended, hopefully I'll get it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭reaper180

sorry
    just wondering where you bought the octo lnb as im changing from a quad

• Advertisement

Just to follow up on this, I tried what Fat Tony had done and it's grand, stainless steel nut and bolt and a couple of cable ties for balance and it's rock solid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Glad you got sorted

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement