Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roast Potatoes?

Options
  • 29-01-2011 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has a simple way of cooking roast potatoes. I usually have boiled potatoes for dinner but I was getting sick of them so I said I'd have a go at roast. The way I did it was boil them for ten minutes, then throw them in the oven with my chicken for about 20 after drizzling a little oil on them. The result- disgusting, couldn't eat them at all. I was glad I had prepared some baked potatoes too otherwise It would of been chicken on its own for dinner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Parboil 'em. Heat oil/fat in the oven. I used goose fat last time I made roast potatoes and they were yummy. After you drain the water off them, shake them around in the pot a bit to 'fluff' them up, then place carefully in the hot fat. Actually, I seasoned them at that stage too. Then just keep an eye on them, turn them etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The oil needs to be hot, so heat the oil/ fat in a seperate tray to the chicken and then add the potatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

The oil needs to be hot, so heat the oil/ fat in a seperate tray to the chicken and then add the potatoes.

Probably what I was doing wrong, thanks Jam_Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Use fat, like frytex , not vegetable oil. Have the Fat really hot.:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I cover thm in sun-dried tomato pesto after par boiling them - fecking delish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

As was said - very easy to do. Parboil, then into oven - salt 7 pepper drizzle of olive oil and turn every so often. I have mine at 180 for an hour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My favourite roast potatoes at the moment are baby potatoes in their skins boiled until tender then slightly crushed with the potato masher, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with rock salt and then roasted until crisp and golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,595 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My favourite roast potatoes at the moment are baby potatoes in their skins boiled until tender then slightly crushed with the potato masher, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with rock salt and then roasted until crisp and golden.

Oooh that sounds nice!

OP if you put yours in with the chicken they just kind of boiled in gravy. They really don't need much oil/fat and if you cut them into medium sized pieces you can have nice roasties in about half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Firstly, 20 minutes is nowhere near enough for roasties.

My tips:

As already mentioned, par boil for 5 - 10 minutes and give the pan a shake.

Into a roasting pan with hot oil/fat of your choice, get them all coated and season with salt and pepper.

Do not overcrowd the pan!

Into a hot oven - no less than 200deg for really crispy spuds - you can do them at 180 too but they won't be as good.

Be patient, good roasties take up to an hour - no matter what anyone tells you your cannot make good roasties in 30 mins.

Giving them the odd turn will make them more even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

use some duck fat and a sprinkle of salt.. into the oven and wala!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,595 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My tips:

Into a roasting pan with hot oil/fat of your choice, get them all coated and season with salt and pepper.

Into a hot oven - no less than 200deg for really crispy spuds - you can do them at 180 too but they won't be as good.

Be patient, good roasties take up to an hour - no matter what anyone tells you your cannot make good roasties in 30 mins.Giving them the odd turn will make them more even.

Lol, we will have to agree to differ. It does depend on the heat of the oven and the size of the pieces. If they are left in too long they go leathery.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

how long would these usually take in the oven to brown and crisp up?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Redr

What I do after parboiling them is I drain them and put a couple of dessert spoons of flour into the saucepan and really shake them up! Then I put them into really hot oil in a roasting pan.

If you put spuds in the roasting pan with meat they get soft and slushy - roast them separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭papermaker

sharp, angular cut (thin edges crisp up better, parboil/drain/good shake/very hot oil with a generous knob of butter/at least an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

As I hate washing up and am all for an easy life. Wash, skin or not depending on the state of the spuds, cut into reasonable sized chunks. Put round the roast cut side down and cook with the roast.

They get a lovely golden surface, a soft floury inside (if the chunks are not too small) and take in some of the taste of the roast. I've tried the Nigella way, goose fat, parboil. The low effort way works well for me, love 'em - Roosters do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,497 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My tips:

Be patient, good roasties take up to an hour - no matter what anyone tells you your cannot make good roasties in 30 mins.

Giving them the odd turn will make them more even.

+1

Exactly what I do. The only thing I could add is to take the tray out of the oven regularly and baste the roasties with the hot oil that's in the tray.

If you have them in a single oven with say a roasting chicken at 180c, here's to solve the problem of the temp (180) being too low for the spuds: take the chicken out (after the spuds have been in for at least 50 minutes), bump the oven up to 220 or more and give the spuds another 15 minutes at least. Job done :D

I usually use sunflower oil, which works fine. Occasionally I use goose fat which works best :D

Not too much of either or the spuds won't crisp!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Robin132 wrote: »
    how long would these usually take in the oven to brown and crisp up?

They take 30-40 minutes at 200C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Right everyone thanks for all the tips. I took some of the advice given here and had another go at roast potatos yesterday, they ended up really nice this time. Just boiled for 10 minutes, chopped them in half sometimes in thirds, then stuck them in the oven in some heated sunflower oil at 200 degrees(didn't have goose fat). I turned them after half an hour and took them out of the oven after about an hour. Delicious. Thanks again everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Right everyone thanks for all the tips. I took some of the advice given here and had another go at roast potatos yesterday, they ended up really nice this time. Just boiled for 10 minutes, chopped them in half sometimes in thirds, then stuck them in the oven in some heated sunflower oil at 200 degrees(didn't have goose fat). I turned them after half an hour and took them out of the oven after about an hour. Delicious. Thanks again everyone.

Glad it was a success. Roast spuds are one of lifes great pleasures.

Mind you, I shouldn't have read this post just before lunch. I'm starving now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement