Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HomeFront

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

this look quite good actually.

although i was expecting plot to be about america having some glorious crappy story ie we will get through this YAWN lol

will defo pick it up though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i really like the look of the multiplayer

drone vehicles

hopefully they did a good job of it and didn't mess it up

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭qbhod

Kinda of reminds me of Frontlines Fuel of War; played the demo of that to death because you could play one map for free online!.....until they took the demo server's off......wish i'd bought it back then but i doubt anyone plays it now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

The guys at JoyStiq were genuinely impressed with the multiplayer of Homefront, not so much about the single player.

It's like a deja vu of last years launch with BF:BC2, average single player with positive multiplayer reviews. About a month after launch, everyone then realised that BF:BC2 was probably to best multiplayer FPS ever released on a console, once they came to grips with the squad aspect of the game! Those that couldn't, stuck with the CoD franchise.

thats the way most games are going these days they are putting all into the multiplayer aspect and just doing a half arsed singleplayer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭qbhod

Some games are just built for mutliplayer, but you wouldn't see it happening with the likes of Bioshock of Half-Life. Halo Reach is the perfect example of balance between the two

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Loved the MP in Frontlines:Fuel of War, very Battlefield-esque with squads, team objectives, etc. The 'frontline' mode was a bit of a rush/conquest mash-up where all of the fighting was focused at a particular point until one team managed to gain a foothold and the others got pushed back to the next point, made for some great battles. Some excellent open maps where air vehicles and tanks ruled plus it had 32v32 gameplay, which no other game can match.

The drones were a great addition and its good to see they will be making a comeback. Looking forward to this and definitely a day-1 purchase for me.

Game coming out soon (18th), looking good for those of us who like to mix up our FPS with some vehicles:

Battle Points system sounds interesting and may add a new dimension not seen before. Looks like a hybrid of COD and BF:BC2 which might not be a bad thing.

Best price is £29.99 delivered (just under €35) from bee.com, might tide me over until BF3;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Actually considering getting this, with no BF3 for the forseeable future, BF:BC2 being a bit...meh...and BLOPS being...well BLOPS, this has me intrigued. liking the way the battle Points work, so you can access killstreak style rewards without headshotting 15 people with 1 bullet or so.

Dibs on the Johnny-5 drone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

looks like it'll be a good sub for blops ,hopefully alot better and not as rage inducing.Really like the sound of the single player as well,aparently fairly brutal.Opening scene is supposed to be the N.Korean army executing a bunch of civilians in front of you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

There's also easter eggs in the game of babies in dumpsters- originally they had a game mode about protecting a baby in a dumpster but they took it out.

I hope it will be good, i loved the story mode of frontlines and I've been waiting for this "unofficial sequel" since it's release. I never took to the MP but played it last night to remind myself of it, found it to be a bit crap, but maybe i was just in awful matches

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've played an early build of the multiplayer and I quite like it. So on that note, I include the following caveat that I'm not sure how much of what I played changed and made it into the final game :)

The game has a points system that allows you to upgrade your soldier on the fly, so you can buy things like anti-air missile launchers, drones (land and air), missile strikes and even vehicles! The different classes will have different available otions. So you can save up, buy a tank (or helicopter which is a very good laugh). There are weapon upgrades too like sights and silencers etc. It's all very natural for anyone who's played Battlefield or CoD. The game mechanics worked well and weapons felt solid.

I've no idea how the single player will work, but can't imagine it being much more different from any of the others.

If you're a die hard FPS fan, go for it, but if you're more "casual" about these things, I'd probably stick with whatever you're currently playing, it's mostly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Kharn wrote: »
    I've played an early build of the multiplayer and I quite like it.

In regards to MP which FPS does it play like most? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Its supposedly possible to clear the SP mode in about 4 1/2 hours. For that reason, I am refusing to ever buy this game despite being interested in it from its early previews. I won't give any more money to cheap ass developers who neglect the solo player for the multiplayer mode of their game. Their excuse? MOH got away with it and it was only "really skilled players" who were able to do it in 4 1/2 hours.

Really skilled players? Like the ones who mainly play FPS titles? In that case, because I'm good at FPS games I get a ****ty cheap ass story mode for my €50. **** this game.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Its supposedly possible to clear the SP mode in about 4 1/2 hours. For that reason, I am refusing to ever buy this game despite being interested in it from its early previews. I won't give any more money to cheap ass developers who neglect the solo player for the multiplayer mode of their game. Their excuse? MOH got away with it and it was only "really skilled players" who were able to do it in 4 1/2 hours.

Really skilled players? Like the ones who mainly play FPS titles? In that case, because I'm good at FPS games I get a ****ty cheap ass story mode for my €50. **** this game.

Ho hum, each to his own I guess :rolleyes:.

If you're the type of player who doesn't play online, then this type of FPS won't be up your alley. If on the other hand, you do buy it for the MP, then value for money in my opinion will be much better compared to your typical single-player oriented game.

I have over 5 days clocked on BFBC2 online and it still plays great when you're in a decent team, every game is different which SP will never be able to match. The less-than-10 hours SP campaign has long since faded from memory.

It's a fact of life that developers will nowadays skimp on the SP when most of the fanbase will focus on the MP.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Ho hum, each to his own I guess :rolleyes:.

If you're the type of player who doesn't play online, then this type of FPS won't be up your alley. If on the other hand, you do buy it for the MP, then value for money in my opinion will be much better compared to your typical single-player oriented game.

I have over 5 days clocked on BFBC2 online and it still plays great when you're in a decent team, every game is different which SP will never be able to match. The less-than-10 hours SP campaign has long since faded from memory.

It's a fact of life that developers will nowadays skimp on the SP when most of the fanbase will focus on the MP.

But not everybody actually wants to play MP. Some people still enjoy the single player experience of a game more than going online with it, something the developers seem to be overlooking lately. They should at least rename it "training mode" if its primarily MP they focus on, calling it a single player experience is completely misleading. €60 for less than 5 hours of a game? No way, and I'd be hard pushed to even justify a rental for those 5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

But not everybody actually wants to play MP. Some people still enjoy the single player experience of a game more than going online with it, something the developers seem to be overlooking lately. They should at least rename it "training mode" if its primarily MP they focus on, calling it a single player experience is completely misleading. €60 for less than 5 hours of a game? No way, and I'd be hard pushed to even justify a rental for those 5 hours.

If Single player is your thing, get Bioshock or something similar.
    You can't knock a game because its not the type of game you like.
    I'm sure Forza is a great game, but I don't like racing simulators, so I won't buy it. I don't however think "****" forza, I can't shoot anyone in it!"

mcgovern wrote: »
    If Single player is your thing, get Bioshock or something similar.
    You can't knock a game because its not the type of game you like.
    I'm sure Forza is a great game, but I don't like racing simulators, so I won't buy it. I don't however think "****" forza, I can't shoot anyone in it!"

Why should I have to pick up older games just to get a single player experience? I'm not knocking FPS at all, I love no other genre more to be honest but I hate being ****ed over with these new games coming out because they neglect the single player, just to throw an online mode in. Its nothing to do with liking or hating a genre.

I made this point before, but I wish developers would decide on what they are aiming for. If its MP only, then make it MP only and don't be cheating people out of cash with promises of a single player mode, that isn't any longer than a half decent ****. If it has a single player, then for **** sake give us our moneys worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Release dates changed again!

18th March for UK and IE
    15th March for rest of Europe

keith123 wrote: »
    Release dates changed again!

18th March for UK and IE
    15th March for rest of Europe

it has been that for a few weeks now its because they have to remove something or it wont be allowed to be sold some where

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

That isn't any longer than a half decent ****.
    You can go 4 and a 1/2 hours? Impressive :pac:
    Seriously though I can't wait for this and crisis to come out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

sorry for my lack of knowledge on this , but does anyone know anything on the the developers of this game , like what have they released before and what is there track record like , im really really looking forward to this game as the COD games are getting a bit .......well you know what i mean :(

if you remember frontlines fuels of war they made that

dunworth1 wrote: »
    if you remember frontlines fuels of war they made that

does not ring a bell mate , ill have a look at youtube see what its like , are you getting it Dunworth ? i know a good few of the IRL lads are .

almanu wrote: »
    does not ring a bell mate , ill have a look at youtube see what its like , are you getting it Dunworth ? i know a good few of the IRL lads are .

ya i'm picking it up on day one i have the day off so i will have the whole day to play with it

i hope this turns out well

in a interview with major nelson one of the devs explained that they were a small group but they are hoping that this game would change that for them.

heres a great video i found that show the multiplayer

thats probably the best multi player clip ive seen so far dunworth , first impressions is that it a hybrid of COD and battlefield which is basically what we have been all waiting for , rather the the cod every man for himself mumbo jumbo we finally have a game that requires teamwork ,
    im going to be a 1st day release buyer myself,
    from what ive seen from online clips it looks really smooth , is there any more rumours on the 32 v 32 aspect , ive heard it will be at least 18 v 18 .
    im really getting excited about this now , the weapons the tanks the hummers nom nom nom .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Might pop downtown later and trade in a few games and get this...EDIT: Next Friday I mean!

I loved Frontlines, but it got ruined by spawn killing online, automated turrets placed behind spawn points, it was hell.

Hope it has a longer online life than Frontlines too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

almanu wrote: »
    sorry for my lack of knowledge on this , but does anyone know anything on the the developers of this game , like what have they released before and what is there track record like , im really really looking forward to this game as the COD games are getting a bit .......well you know what i mean :(

They did make Frontlines which was another quite short game but i really enjoyed it. Its quite old now but i played it recently and it has some nice touches with cool little toys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Why should I have to pick up older games just to get a single player experience? I'm not knocking FPS at all, I love no other genre more to be honest but I hate being ****ed over with these new games coming out because they neglect the single player, just to throw an online mode in. Its nothing to do with liking or hating a genre.

I made this point before, but I wish developers would decide on what they are aiming for. If its MP only, then make it MP only and don't be cheating people out of cash with promises of a single player mode, that isn't any longer than a half decent ****. If it has a single player, then for **** sake give us our moneys worth.

My point is some games are single player-centric, others are multi-player centric.
    Homefront has always been touted as a multiplayer game from what I've seen, so to complain about it for this game is a bit bizarre. Think of the single player as an extra freebie thrown in on top of the multiplayer content.
    It's not like you can't get your money's worth from buying a multiplayer focused game (I've 6 days put into Black Ops) and if thats not your thing, get a game that is single player only, or mainly single player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement