Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sign on for the dole if not qualified for BETA??

Options
  • 29-01-2011 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Just a thought........I want to commence college in 2012 however if I don't qualify for BETA as I may not be signing on for the 9 month duration required directly before commencement of the course. Could I not register a claim for unemployment assistance etc...apply for college & not disclose this to Social welfare? So I would be getting the dole in effect but studying at the same time.

It's the same payment with a different name so either way?

Not trying to screw the system as alot of people do, just want to better myself & give something back.

Any tips would help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You want to go on the dole and go to college at the same time?

I think that would be called screwing the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mazi

Larianne wrote: »
    You want to go on the dole and go to college at the same time?

I think that would be called screwing the system.

But if it equates to the same amount payable that I would be getting if I were unemployed what difference would it make?

mazi wrote: »
    But if it equates to the same amount payable that I would be getting if I were unemployed what difference would it make?

You are not looking for employment.

Larianne wrote: »
    You are not looking for employment.

Just a thought anyway.Wish they would reduce the unemployment duration requirements to at least 6 mths, 9 mths is a long time!

mazi wrote: »
    Just a thought anyway.Wish they would reduce the unemployment duration requirements to at least 6 mths, 9 mths is a long time!

Chances of getting a job are very unlikely for my current job spec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

Did they push it back up to 9 months? I was unemployed 6 months prior to my course starting in 2009 & I was eligible for BTEA, they reduced it to 6 months in the 2008 budget. Give them a ring & see if the time has been pushed back to 9 months.

As for claiming jobseekers benefit while not actively job seeking, that is screwing the system! How would you sign on when in college? How would you collect your money from your post office when you're in college?

BTEA is the legitimate way to go, there's no signing on & the money goes in your bank, get in touch with them & see how many months it is.
    Even if it was 9 months, university semesters start around the 28th September, that's roughly 9 months today so doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

Obviously it's the governments fault! If people get more money being on the dole while studying rather than working and getting a grant that is almost as half as much as a person on the dole gets, then the system is a joke!

Screwing the system? It's typical Ireland, the government can't get anything right. It's not people screwing the system that makes it bad, it's the fact that something like this is possible in the first place. There should not be anything to take advantage of in the first place. If there is a loop hole in it, people will use it, no matter what.

OP got his/her answer. It can't be done.

Closing thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement