Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You Quit Your Job and Still Get Dole

Options
  • 29-01-2011 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I want to quit my job and concentrate on doing a home study course, but i'm not sure if i'll be able to get dole. I'm thinking that they frown upon people who leave a job. I'm so undecided what to do. I don't particularly like my job and am stressed out with it.

Would welcome advice, Please :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Moved from Leaving Cert: Careers & Jobs Discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

No, you would not be eligible to claim the dole.

Jobseekers allowance is only available to people genuinely looking for work. Even if you were available for work after quitting you would be disqualified from claiming for 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

No. As tenchi-fan said above, if you walk from your job you will be disqualified from even starting a welfare claim for 9 weeks. I'm assuming you haven't experienced the dole yourself before. Believe me, its not something you should ever want to go on just for the sake of it.

Firstly, it will take them nearly 3 months to even give you one payment. The frustration and poverty you'll experience during this time will drive you literally insane. Sitting at home all day sure sounds like fun when you're in a job. In reality on the dole it turns into sitting at home waiting for the postman to come every day, finding out he doesn't have your cheque, ringing the dole office in a vicious mood and getting nothing but excuses. Repeat cycle every day for the next 2-3 months.

Use some sense and look for something else while you have a job. You're chances will be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Also dole is for jobseekers. If you are going to be focusing on study and not looking for a job than you should not be claiming it.

I was in college for five years full time and got little to no assistance from the state so seems a little unfair you quitting a paying job to study and get paid from my taxes. I would have been flying if i got €186 per week during college.

I might be harsh but i have no problem with people on the dole who deserve it and require it, no worries there as i would expect the same if i was in the situation,

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Aero28

Thanks Guys

I'm studying Pet Grooming and will be looking into getting a job in that, even if its only part time. I want to get the experience to provide me with a future with that career.

I have been getting job seekers a few years ago for 4 months, and I know the crap that you have to go through to even get anything from the bastards.

I will be studying but looking for something in the area in which i want to work. I know its not gonna be easy. I have some saving to cover me for a couple of months.

I really appreciate your replies.

Its a tough decision to make, and i know most people will think, "oh you have a job, keep it and suck it up, we'd love to be in your position".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Aero28 wrote: »
    I'm studying Pet Grooming and will be looking into getting a job in that, even if its only part time. I want to get the experience to provide me with a future with that career.
    I think you should find your part-time job first.

Aero28 wrote: »
    Its a tough decision to make, and i know most people will think, "oh you have a job, keep it and suck it up, we'd love to be in your position".
    No one said that. If you can afford to leave work, go right ahead.

I think you should consider doing your pet grooming course in the evening or at weekends. I sincerely doubt you can even do these courses full-time anyway.

Advertisement