Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

adobeRGB vs sRGB in your camera

• 29-01-2011 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi Guys
    Just question about rgb settings in your camera, which one are you using? Do you have problems printing them? Editing? Had one today printed in Fuji,photo adobe rgb, not rely what i am seeing in my screen,different colors.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

The different colours are probably because you haven't got your monitor calibrated.

I use sRGB for no other reason than thats what most web browsers use. I've used Adobe and sRGB and to be honest I can't see any difference when they are printed. I'm sure some one with more knowledge than me will be able to give you more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭goldseeker

Yes,my monitor is not calibrated.But prints with srgb maches what i see on screen.Do you have to calibrate screen for adobe rgb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

A lot of printers will assume sRGB and therefore you will not see the benefit of using Adobe RGB. go to someone like Steve who will print to your profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

are you shooting raw?

if you are then the in camera colourspace doesnt matter as its not connected to the raw

as for printing, it depends on the print shop as to whats best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Adobe RGB is a much larger color space then sRGB. It can "contain" colors that simply don't exist in sRGB.

sRGB is widely used because most printers and monitors can reliably reproduce most of the colors in it.

If your camera has Adobe 1998 RGB as an option, I would use it over sRGB for shooting, and convert to sRGB for anything that is going to print. (converting as you create the final print-read files, and not before.)

I use Kodak ProPhoto RGB as my working color space in Photoshop etc.., because it is a much larger color space than Adobe RGB, and convert "down" to smaller color spaces for output. It gives a lot more colors to work with while editing.

Also, if there ever are invented devices down the road that can actually reproduce all the colors that can be contained in Kodak ProPhotoRGB, I'll be able to get even better output from those than from current technology.

If you don't want to do any file-handling at all, and want to be able to print directly off of the files your camera shoots, you probably want to stick with sRGB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

@heebie inspirational arts in town can print in prophoto (AFAIR).

If they're doing professional printing.. I certainly hope they are printing in customer color spaces worked up to optimise for their own equipment, rather than printing in any of the popular color spaces. None of them would actually match their printer. (They should be converting from whatever it is stored in, to the color space for their print equipment first.)
    sineadw wrote: »
    @heebie inspirational arts in town can print in prophoto (AFAIR).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Heebie wrote: »
    If they're doing professional printing.. I certainly hope they are printing in customer color spaces worked up to optimise for their own equipment, rather than printing in any of the popular color spaces. None of them would actually match their printer. (They should be converting from whatever it is stored in, to the color space for their print equipment first.)

Absolutely. What I meant is that they have the full gamut of prophoto available. Most places in Ireland are still working within the confines of Adobe RGB.

No paper and ink can print profoto, their Epson 9900 can print full adobe rgb which is as fare it prints go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

goldseeker wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Just question about rgb settings in your camera, which one are you using? Do you have problems printing them? Editing? Had one today printed in Fuji,photo adobe rgb, not rely what i am seeing in my screen,different colors.

Exact same thing happened to me,i had my camera set on adobe instead of srgb, when i start uploading pics on to pixie the colours weren't as vibrant as they were in photoshop. I'm assuming this is what's happening when you print your photos. I just changed my camera setting to srgb and converted the shots i had already taken from adobe to srgb in photoshop and everything was fine.

• Advertisement

I don't advise doing this if you ever want to be able to play with them.

Shooting in sRGB, and converting to sRGB is limiting the possible colors that can be in the photo. You're better off shooting in AdobeRGB, keeping an archive of the original unedited shots, and creating copies that have been converted to the sRGB color profile.

I just changed my camera setting to srgb and converted the shots i had already taken from adobe to srgb in photoshop and everything was fine.

if you shoot raw, the colourspace settings on your camera dont matter as they do not affect the raw file

BUT

they will affect the histogram on the back of the camera, as they will affect the jpg which is used to create it

Advertisement