Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which underlay to use?

• 29-01-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Going to be putting my wooden flooring down soon. Atlantic homecare has a number of different types of underlay. All made by Trojan. There are two that state that they are suitable for underfloor heating; Trojan Blue and Trojan Silver. Both are 3mm. Trojan Silver is slightly cheaper but is foil backed.

Which one, if any, should I use? Best suited to my underfloor heating is my main concern? Both the thermal resistance and the tog value are less on the Trojan Silver than the Trojan Blue which to me tends to suggest to me that it would be more suited.

I would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Trojan Heatmate seems a better choice, it's perforated to allow heat through and has a lower tog than any of your options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Trojan Heatmate seems a better choice, it's perforated to allow heat through and has a lower tog than any of your options.

I was looking at this and yes because to its tog value it appears to be more suitable.

Is there a requirement for DPM under the underlay if I was to go for the Heatmate or indeed the Blue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Sorry, I don't know if a DPM is needed, but I imagine it would be advisable as a belt-and-braces measure. Perhaps the flooring supplier could advise you better. BTW any dpm sheeting I've seen in DIY shops tends to be of a very light gauge so imo it shouldn't have much of an insulating effect.

Advertisement