Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Expectations and Women: Should Women Lower Their Standards When It Comes To Men?

• 29-01-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ilovebiology

This would apply to beautiful women, who have high expectations with their choice in men - would the ladies agree? Are good looking men just as fussy about finding a good looking woman?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Yer MA wasn't so choosy. =)

What a bizarre and pointless question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Well if the man in question is me then yes, yes they should.

*scratches balls*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

If you're still single and drunk by 1.30am, then yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I've noticed a lot recently that girls are asking what job do i have and what car do i drive. I never used to get that in a first conversation. In the US i did but not over here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

As a very pretty manwoman I feel that everybody is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

No because then I might actually have some competition from Ireland's desperate chumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.same.

Face facts single women if you over the age of 20 and single it ain't cos theirs nobody out-there its cos your your not good looking enough to meet your own standards.
    WOMEN LOWER YOUR STANDARDS OR YOU'LL DIE ALONE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I agree.

Speaking as an 'uggo', I would also like incredibly fit women to have no standards. It's obviously them in the wrong, picky whores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

This would apply to beautiful women, who have high expectations with their choice in men - would the ladies agree? Are good looking men just as fussy about finding a good looking woman?
    Agree with what?:confused:
    So any ugly lady should be able to tell the pretty ones to lower their standards? What are you asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

After a certain age women don't give a **** what a man looks like. It's all about the bank balance at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

.same. wrote: »
    Face facts single women if you over the age of 20 and single it ain't cos theirs nobody out-there its cos your your not good looking enough to meet your own standards.

*theirs = there is* *its = it's*

WTF are you talking about? Are you in the ugly camp then?

.same. wrote: »
    Never seen a more appropriate user name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

"Why do girls expect so high of boys? Pretty much they have to:
    • Love her
    • Hug her
    • Put her first
    • Go to the end of the world and back for her
    • Tell her she's beautiful and he loves her every day
    • Text her first
    • Know when she's sad.
    And girls just have to:
    • Show up naked
    • Bring a sandwich"

I agree, lower standards for us uglies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

No. Shouldn't lower them but the ones who as 'what car do you have' , 'what job' etc... should CHANGE their standards.

Bitches.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Sure, we should just go along with whatever caveman shuffles up and whacks us over the head! We'll never find a husband otherwise! :D

In fairness, you're far more likely to see a stunning girl with an ugly/uglier guy than the other way around. So I don't think the standards are that high!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I've noticed a lot recently that girls are asking what job do i have and what car do i drive. I never used to get that in a first conversation. In the US i did but not over here.

That's understandable, in the present climate what woman wants to be associated with Construction Developers, Economists or Politicians, they have to check just in case.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I've heard there's a theory (and sorry I don't know what it's called), that people are actually happier with people they perceive to be on the same level because they feel more secure. If somebody goes out with someone much better looking, more successful or whatever, it's more stressful for them due to fear of the other person straying. Don't know?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Dean0088 wrote: »
    No. Shouldn't lower them but the ones who as 'what car do you have' , 'what job' etc... should CHANGE their standards.

Bitches.
    :rolleyes:

Ah...@ 1:30AM outside the chipper .....it is easy to tell those shallow ones that are looking for a sugar daddy, that you drive a 2010 911 but only on the weekends, an AMG for business travel, that you don't work anymore since you sold off your business and that you travel around the world attending charity fundraisers for worthy causes...

You can always claim that they mis-heard you in the morning.....:)

But there is not much you can do if they are shallow and vain and only after a looker to go with their poodle as a lifestyle accessory and if you fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

By definition, all women, who are not lesbians, are lowering their standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Eh, no.

I'm not joking, they really shouldn't and I hate this topic.

Women have sexual desires the same as us, and they are people in their own right, just like we are.

They have a right to aim as high on the looks table as they can hit; if they decide that they are happy with a less attractive guy because he has other good qualities then grand, but it is their choice.

Women have no duty to be charitable with their favours and sleep with us even if they are unattracted to us - it's our 'job' to make them want to sleep with us.

Resenting women because they don't find you attractive, is kind of pathetic.

Seriously, just think of them as actual people and you'll realise why this very question is silly, and probably inspired by a childhood spent being raised by Disney films in which the sad nerd is always the one to get the hot girl, as opposed to the bigger, stronger, more charismatic bully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Depends. But I've noticed a lot of average women are way up themselves. If you think you age like a fine wine, you dont.

Lots of bitter posts on here. I'm sensing alot of men have been burned in the past!
    I agree with whoever said that often times people aim lower (for want of a better word) for security reasons. Honestly, whenever i have had relationships with guys that would be considered good looking, i freak out a little. If one of my friends comment on how good looking he is, i would feel a little bit weird about it, if that makes sense.

Obviously, i do tend to go for guys that i find appealing both physically and their personality. But i feel a little uneasy when i am with a guy who i know is very good looking. Obviously i have issues!!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Lowering standards isn't something you can choose to do. People can't help liking/wanting certain things. Obviously no one's going to tick every single box but you'd need most of the things you like for the relationship to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

There was a survey taken out last year by an online dating agency; I can't remember the agency and am trying to locate the survey right now. Anyway, one of the results that was striking was that Irish women were BY FAR the most demanding women in Europe - according to the survey standards. Over 80% of them said, for example, that they wouldn't consider a relationship with a man on social welfare. Irish men, by contrast, were more in line with the norm for men across Europe.

My own experience of Irish women has been that they definitely have unrealistic expectations of men. I don't have any explanation for this but I've certainly felt it on many ocassions. I've been in relationships with Irish women and been on dates. When on dates talk too often swiched to profession / income levels extremely quickly. I've been asked too many times what type of car I drive (I don't drive, as it happens) and asked about my 'living arrangements.' When on dates or in relationships with non-Irish women, this doesn't happen anywhere near as often.

So my answer is that I think the OP is correct if he's referring to Irish women - but women in general - no.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭nonsmoker

I think some women and men have such high standards that no one will ever be good enough for them.

One of my single female friends has such high expectations I doubt anyone will ever be good enough for her in her opinion.

If a guy tries chatting her up and god forbid he didnt have the right clothes, shoes or doesnt have perfect teeth she's not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JENNYWREN19

looking around, most young girls' standards are low enough. They make themselves look desperate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Eh, no.

Women have sexual desires the same as us, and they are people in their own right, just like we are.

They have a right to aim as high on the looks table as they can hit; if they decide that they are happy with a less attractive guy because he has other good qualities then grand, but it is their choice.

Women have no duty to be charitable with their favours and sleep with us even if they are unattracted to us - it's our 'job' to make them want to sleep with us.

Seriously, just think of them as actual people and you'll realise why this very question is silly, and probably inspired by a childhood spent being raised by Disney films in which the sad nerd is always the one to get the hot girl, as opposed to the bigger, stronger, more charismatic bully.

I think its important to point out the whole thing with looks is very individual though, I don't think you can say something like "if they are happy with a less attractive guy". I do get what you are getting at though and agree.

I find plenty of women very attractive that others will say are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JENNYWREN19

nonsmoker wrote: »
    I think some women and men have such high standards that no one will ever be good enough for them.

One of my single female friends has such high expectations I doubt anyone will ever be good enough for her in her opinion.

If a guy tries chatting her up and god forbid he didnt have the right clothes, shoes or doesnt have perfect teeth she's not interested.

your friend sounds like a petty minded fool. the looks and probably the bank balance will disappear in time. If she's looking no deeper than the surface then she'll end up alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

I've heard there's a theory (and sorry I don't know what it's called), that people are actually happier with people they perceive to be on the same level because they feel more secure. If somebody goes out with someone much better looking, more successful or whatever, it's more stressful for them due to fear of the other person straying. Don't know?:confused:
    theory of social dependence, i think! could be wrong about the name, but yeah it's been proven alright (according to first year psychology :D)

in fairness women should take a little dip in standards between 11pm and 3 am sat/sun night, they can go back to being snobs again on monday

Thats 4 hrs realistic standard and 164 hrs being up your own ass, pretty reasonable if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

I think the reverse, men should higher their own selves to meet the standards of women. Naturally women are bat guano insane and will never be satisfied but at least we should try to be something much better then we are.

Seriously I'm shocked at how many guys are absolute F***tards and can't see a problem with themselves. Shower in a can, language that is more like apish grunts and the hight of their intelligence is pass level junior cert stuff material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

There are lots of 35+ really good looking women around who are single. They just always thought they deserve better and didn't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Really? Where do ya find these girls? Never came across that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Women be crazy dude.

• Advertisement

There are lots of 35+ really good looking women around who are single. They just always thought they deserve better and didn't get it.
    yeah, there everywhere the streets are crawling with hot 40 year old irish women lookin for love
    ha ha ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

smegmar wrote: »
    I think the reverse, men should higher elevate their own selves to meet the standards of women. Naturally women are bat guano insane and will never be satisfied but at least we should try to be something much better then we are.

Seriously I'm shocked at how many guys are absolute F***tards and can't see a problem with themselves. Shower in a can, language that is more like apish grunts and the hight height of their intelligence is pass level junior cert stuff.
    I'm done.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ilovebiology

Would good looking men just as fussy? Would they try to find the best looking women as well?

Would good looking men just as fussy? Would they try to find the best looking women as well?
    Yeah we're just as fussy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

HIGHER!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

No they should flipping not.

LOWER!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

brummytom wrote: »
    I agree.

Speaking as an 'uggo', I would also like incredibly fit women to have no standards. It's obviously them in the wrong, picky whores

It's just a question of wearing down their resistance until they have lost the ability to hold standards anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Ebbs wrote: »
    "Why do girls expect so high of boys? Pretty much they have to:
    • Love her
    • Hug her
    • Put her first
    • Go to the end of the world and back for her
    • Tell her she's beautiful and he loves her every day
    • Text her first
    • Know when she's sad.
    And girls just have to:
    • Show up naked
    • Bring a sandwich"

I agree, lower standards for us uglies

hmmm. i dunno. i'd say the sandwich naked is optional.

(EFT)

Eh, no.

link?

:D

Should we expect little of men.

Should we expect little of men.
    well, i'd say expect a lot from little men.

seriously though.. you girls had better start raisin em..

or do you actually like grapes? you're under the spell of an aphrodisiac.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    well, i'd say expect a lot from little men.

I have the highest regard for all people

lethal

• Advertisement
Advertisement