Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost Effective to Switch to VOIP?

Options
  • 29-01-2011 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I'm looking at switching my parents over to a VOIP setup.

I currently pay for their fixed wireless connection which is very good, at least 3mb up/down, good pings but must run a test for voip to be sure. Anyway, I looked at their last bill and felt that surely I can get them something better value.

Last bill details: Total €90 for 2 months.
    This includes their OAP discount of about €21 a month so the real cost is €130.

Cost to mobiles = €48 (2 months)
    Local+National = €22 (2 months)
    Premium and international = €15 (2 months)
    Phone rental = €5. (2 months)

I'm going to assume €40 a month to mobiles and free national/local calls and the same Premium amount of €15 giving me a total of €55 a month VOIP charges.

Less the OAP discount they get it would be about €34/month versus the €45
    Might a small saving on international too not factored here.

I might be able to reduce the mobile cost by buying a mobile minutes bundle but my monthly mobile estimate is on the high side overall.

Can I do better for them do you think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If they have fixed wireless then you can dispense with the phone line and just use VOIP.

I have been using VOIP with Blueface since I installed my fixed wireless broadband. I ported my phone number from Eircom to Blueface so I have the same geographical number as I always had.

Analyse at least the last six months phone bills by time/type not by cost.

Have a look at the plans on Blueface and see which is best time based on the usage.

Note calls to mobiles are expensive because of the charges Irish mobile operators make to Irish based telecom companies for terminating calls to mobiles.

You may find an international company offers cheaper VOIP calls to Irish mobiles.

With an ATA they can still use their existing telephones. You can get a programmable ATA so if you had one VOIP provider for land lines and one for mobiles you can set up the ATA to route the call accordingly without the telephone user having to do anything other than dial the number.

Advertisement