Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2011 - Mayo Style

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

anybody know anything about Martin Forkan, he is on the Boards.ie -Mayo poll, but I have not seen him appear anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

That sums up the entire article to be honest.

I have seen a side of Michael Ring first hand that he'd much prefer the electorate not to see and I can tell you that he is a man with no interest other than self interest. The way I have seen him impose himself on the funerals of people who neither knew him or supported him is appalling.

Won't stop him sailing past the quota though.

Up until the last election, Ring was loose cannon in the FG electoral strategy. Would not agree to sharing territory with anyone. Kenny ended up nearly losing his seat over it at. I think, the '97 election. In his old age he might be for turning:). Was talking to a close contact of his on Friday night, who said it was highly unlikely he would get in on first count.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I agree, he came to my mothers funeral, had to keep a wary eye on the coffin in case she came back to life to kill him. He enevr met ger in his life and knew none of the family. Slightly galling.

I've heard dozens of stories just like yours. Was particularly relevant after he was first elected, when he was unknown by most mourners.Particularly hilarious was at a funeral I was at in the Hollymount area and he was in the line ahead of me. He had just gone out when when the girl whose father was in the coffin said to me "WTF is that fella" I nearly wet myself when she came out with that:):)Unfortunately it has'nt stopped him:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Up until the last election, Ring was loose cannon in the FG electoral strategy. Would not agree to sharing territory with anyone. Kenny ended up nearly losing his seat over it at. I think, the '97 election. In his old age he might be for turning:). Was talking to a close contact of his on Friday night, who said it was highly unlikely he would get in on first count.

Kenny will romp home on the first count leaving the other FG candidates behind, Ring will be short of the quota but I expect Kennys transfers will elect him handily. His race is slightly ran because of his windbag tactics over the years wearing thin. Will still get elected handily and then a free for all can follow for the last 3 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anybody got a link to the FG manifesto?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Ugool

irishgeo wrote: »
    anybody got a link to the FG manifesto?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0215/finegaelmanifesto.pdf

Spirit of Ireland founder, Dermot McDonnell, is a non-party candidate in Mayo. He is the man who got Enda Kenny to adopt pumped storage prior to Prof Schvetts speech about energy independence which led to SoI being established.
    He has an excellent piece on the downloads section of his website www.mcdonnell.ie on what he describes as racketeering by the semi-state energy sector which should be read by anyone who pays an electricity bill in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Ugool wrote: »
    Spirit of Ireland founder, Dermot McDonnell, is a non-party candidate in Mayo. He is the man who got Enda Kenny to adopt pumped storage prior to Prof Schvetts speech about energy independence which led to SoI being established.
    He has an excellent piece on the downloads section of his website www.mcdonnell.ie on what he describes as racketeering by the semi-state energy sector which should be read by anyone who pays an electricity bill in this country.

I agree with some of what McDonnell says on the link but with regard to wind turbines he mentions Portugal, and there we have a problem. They have double our population but only one third (approx) more land.
    If you fly down to Faro sit on the right side of the plane and you will see masses of turbines, on one site I estimated approx. 200 in batches of 20.
    For portugal this is fine because they have a large swathe of fairly uninhabited land down the centre of the country. We don't.
    Therefore there would be more people with turbines on their doorstep.
    Don't get me wrong, I think wind power is the only way to go, but a lot of obstacles to overcome.

I agree with some of what McDonnell says on the link but with regard to wind turbines he mentions Portugal, and there we have a problem. They have double our population but only one third (approx) more land.
    If you fly down to Faro sit on the right side of the plane and you will see masses of turbines, on one site I estimated approx. 200 in batches of 20.
    For portugal this is fine because they have a large swathe of fairly uninhabited land down the centre of the country. We don't.
    Don't get me wrong, I think wind power is the only way to go, but a lot of obstacles to overcome.
    I agree with your last sentiment, but I would ask you to go to Mayo County Council website at http://www.mayococo.ie/res/ and go to Page 69 of their Draft Renewable Energy Strategy for Co. Mayo where you can see their coloured map with huge areas now virtually uninhabited that could accommodate up to 28,000MW of wind energy (See Page 29). This is more than we need and must be looked at as an export opportunity for us. Without policies to get grid to Mayo quickly this is another natural resource we may squander.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

An admirable issue and not sure if it is high up the agenda of Mayo voters list of priorities when assessing candidates (or for the rest of the country). It's definitely a meaty opportunity with potential to deliver real sustainable value to the county and the country but unfortunately due to the hames that our politicians have made of politics and our economy (and our pay slips!) this isn't gonna register.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Mayo Friday 25th February 2011, 22:00 Constituency Betting [URL="javascript:nonfbm_toggle('nonfbm12177790');void(0);"]Hide [/URL]
    Singles Only,
    Applies to the candidates to win a seat in the listed constituency in the next general election. Others on request.
    Enda Kenny (FG) [URL="javascript:void(0)"]1/150 [/URL]Michale Kilcoyne (Ind) [URL="javascript:void(0)"]2/1 [/URL]Martin Daly (Ind) [URL="javascript:void(0)"]33/1 [/URL]Michael Ring (FG) [URL="javascript:void(0)"]1/150 [/URL]Jerry Cowley (Lab) [URL="javascript:void(0)"]2/1 [/URL]Loretta Clarke (Ind) [URL="javascript:void(0)"]33/1 [/URL]Dara Calleary (FF) [URL="javascript:void(0)"]1/7 [/URL]Therese Ruane (SF) [URL="javascript:void(0)"]2/1 [/URL]Dermot McDonnell (Ind) [URL="javascript:void(0)"]50/1 [/URL]John O'Mahony (FG) [URL="javascript:void(0)"]4/11 [/URL]Rose Conway Walsh (SF) [URL="javascript:void(0)"]5/1 [/URL]Sean Forkin (Ind) [URL="javascript:void(0)"]50/1 [/URL]Michelle Mulherin (FG) [URL="javascript:void(0)"]4/7 [/URL]Lisa Chambers (FF) [URL="javascript:void(0)"]12/1 [/URL]John Carey (Green) [URL="javascript:void(0)"][/URL]

I agree with your last sentiment, but I would ask you to go to Mayo County Council website at http://www.mayococo.ie/res/ and go to Page 69 of their Draft Renewable Energy Strategy for Co. Mayo where you can see their coloured map with huge areas now virtually uninhabited that could accommodate up to 28,000MW of wind energy (See Page 29). This is more than we need and must be looked at as an export opportunity for us. Without policies to get grid to Mayo quickly this is another natural resource we may squander.

It certainly makes interesting reading but the end result seems to be that they will sit back and leave it for another day!!!:confused:.
    How many turbines do you calculate for the figure that you mentioned?.

It certainly makes interesting reading but the end result seems to be that they will sit back and leave it for another day!!!:confused:.
    How many turbines do you calculate for the figure that you mentioned?.
    I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to accurately answer you, but I do know that the 17 year old wind farm at Bellacorick produces 6.45MW with 21 Turbines, which today could be replaced by one Enercon126 that produces 7.5MW. The answer depends on the sizes that will be permitted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rNyGwQNY5c

I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to accurately answer you, but I do know that the 17 year old wind farm at Bellacorick produces 6.45MW with 21 Turbines, which today could be replaced by one Enercon126 that produces 7.5MW. The answer depends on the sizes that will be permitted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rNyGwQNY5c

The Enercon126 is 413 Ft. high, the spike(spire) in Dublin is 398 ft. They should have stuck blades on that :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

I have lived in Portugal and Spain for most of the past 5 years and find that turbines on your doorstep are not a problem for the vast majority of people locally, in fact the Spanish and Portugese are quiet proud that they are the top two nations in the world for renewable energy reliance. With 55-60% of their energy coming from a combination of sources, Government inititatives have encouraged continued investment from the private sector for projects in Wind energy and Solar power production along with a renewed interest in the long established hydro electric sector. Spain is now the global leader in new solar tecnologies like concentrating solar towers while Portugal has quickly emerged as the place to be for wave power, mostly with technology developed in Ireland for the Irish Market, but stalled by bureaucratic red tape. Again we have lost out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

from Mid-West

enda KENNY FG................22.9%
    michael RING FG...............18.2%
    michelle MULHERRIN FG......12.7%
    dara CALLEARY FF.............11.9%
    john O'MAHONY FG............10.6%
    jerry COWLEY LAB.............5.5%
    michael KILCOYNE IND........4.9%
    lisa CHAMBERS FF..............4.3%
    rose CONWAY-WALSH SF....3.4%
    therese RUANE SF..............2.9%
    martin DALY IND................1.1%
    loretta CLARKE IND............0.6%
    john CAREY GR..................0.5%
    dermot MCDONNELL IND......0.4%
    sean FORKIN IND...............0.1%

95/242 boxes open
    12000 quota approx
    74% turnout

from Mid-West

enda KENNY FG................23.5%
    michael RING FG...............18.5%
    michelle MULHERRIN FG......11.7%
    john O'MAHONY FG............11.5%
    dara CALLEARY FF.............11.4%
    jerry COWLEY LAB.............5.4%
    michael KILCOYNE IND........5.0%
    lisa CHAMBERS FF..............4.2%
    rose CONWAY-WALSH SF....3.4%
    therese RUANE SF..............2.9%
    martin DALY IND................1.1%
    loretta CLARKE IND............0.5%
    john CAREY GR..................0.4%
    dermot MCDONNELL IND......0.4%
    sean FORKIN IND...............0.1%

139/242 boxes open
    12000 quota approx
    74% turnout overall
    82% turnout in Castlebar for a town Taoiseach

Looks very much like 4FG, 1FF - which both will take. Good that Mayo will not be wasting one of our TDs on an independent candidate unless Kilcoyne gets massive Castlebar transfers from Kenny, Ruane and Chambers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Parochialism at its finest.... I'm beginning to hate this county :mad:

Final Fine Gael tally from Mid-West

enda KENNY FG................17423
    michael RING FG...............13175
    michelle MULHERIN FG........8860
    john O'MAHONY FG............8633
    dara CALLEARY FF.............8485
    michael KILCOYNE IND........3997
    jerry COWLEY LAB.............3600
    lisa CHAMBERS FF..............3357
    rose CONWAY-WALSH SF....2640
    therese RUANE SF..............2121
    martin DALY IND................874
    loretta CLARKE IND............235
    john CAREY GR..................273
    dermot MCDONNELL IND......238
    sean FORKIN IND...............53

12250 quota approx
    74% turnout overall

Mid-West saying its the first five to go in, might as well shut the TF now they reckon.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Parochialism at its finest.... I'm beginning to hate this county :mad:

Why exactly?

• Advertisement

A enormous percentage of people voting Fine Gael in Mayo are doing so because they want a Mayo Taoiseach.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

A enormous percentage of people voting Fine Gael in Mayo are doing so because they want a Mayo Taoiseach.

Aye it is that case, personally, and I have said this on another thread, I was selfish in that I voted for Mayo taoiseach as I feel we have been ignored for so long down here. I drove through Mr Cowans electoral area there last year, middle of no where, and I couldn't get over the roads which they have.
    Maybe I am been totally naive but I think at least he may send down some jobs this direction instead of the usual "100 new job for X in Dublin, 200 new jobs for Y in Dublin".

That said though, for our countrys best interest, what candidates in Mayo would improve it? The setup of our electoral system is flawed towards local interest.

Well we're now as bad as the people who keep voting in Lowry and Healy-Rae.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Some reasoned argument would be nice.

While we are local yes, we are not as bad as that. They are just pathetic. None of our electorates have been done for tax evasion. ;)

Is she running for election....? :rolleyes:

yop wrote: »
    Is she running for election....? :rolleyes:

After being thrown of Fianna Fail of all parties for corruption, she ran and was elected as an independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I hope all the elected candidates for Mayo do their best for the county....this is an new era and hopefully the proposed changes during the campaign will become a reality. I think politics as we know it has changed and that Civil War divide is hopefully a thing of the past.....for the country's sake.

Fingers crossed the Ballaghdereen to Strokestown road is high up Inda's list.....:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Some reasoned argument would be nice.
    ...or, y'know, not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement