Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you plan to vote for?!

Options
  • 29-01-2011 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭

Time to gauge the voting tendencies of Kilkenny people!

Poll will contain all candidates, although the carlow candidates figures won't be accurate round here . . .

Who do you intend to vote for in the upcoming general election? 97 votes

Bobby Aylward (FF)
    0% 0 votes
    John Cassin (SF)
    4% 4 votes
    Pat Deering (FG)
    9% 9 votes
    Kathleen Funchion (SF)
    2% 2 votes
    Phil Hogan (FG)
    11% 11 votes
    Des Hurley (Lab)
    14% 14 votes
    Conor MacLiam (USP)
    1% 1 vote
    John McGuinness (FF)
    6% 6 votes
    Jennifer Murnane O'Connor (FF)
    4% 4 votes
    Ann Phelan (Lab)
    3% 3 votes
    John Paul Phelan (FG)
    14% 14 votes
    Noel Walsh (IND)
    29% 29 votes
    Mary White (Green)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

None of the above..............FF, FG too similar. Dont trust SF, don't like G. The rest are a waste of votes."DISILLUSIONED"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'm disappointed. Is that it for independents? I thought there would be a lot more of them this time round. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

John Paul for me again, hope he gets in this time

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

hard to decide......such an illustrious bunch!!!!
    Am verring towards Ann Phelan. Am I right in thinking this is the first time labour have a candidate in a general election for carlow/kk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I'm disappointed. Is that it for independents? I thought there would be a lot more of them this time round. :(

Official list isn't out yet, so there could be more closer to the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Time to gauge the voting tendencies of Kilkenny people!

Poll will contain all candidates, although the carlow candidates figures won't be accurate round here . . .

None of them will. This poll won't gauge the voting tendencies of the Carlow Kilkenny constituents, they'll gauge the voting tendencies of tech savvy, reasonably intelligent, predominantly male, predominantly irish, predominantly under 40's in the Kilkenny City area.

If you were to apply this poll to Jackie Healy Rae's constituency, you think he would top the poll? Like hell he would, put people seem to vote him in all the same.

Not to say it's not a worthwhile excercise, it's just that your sample population is massively skewed, and you should bear that in mind when drawing conclusions from statistical data gleaned from it.

Not AT ALL surprised to see FG storming ahead in this one. The reality might be very different. We got three FF last time, what's the bets on three FG this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

My prediction is that we'll end up with 2 FF, 2 FG and 1 Lab.

I'd say Carlow/Kilkenny will buck the national trend and both Bobby Aylward and John McGuinness doing very well.

John Paul Phelan should make it this time, and perhaps Phil Hogan will be made Minister of something.

Ann Phelan should do it for Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

hard to decide......such an illustrious bunch!!!!
    Am verring towards Ann Phelan. Am I right in thinking this is the first time labour have a candidate in a general election for carlow/kk?

No, Seamus Patterson was a Labour TD for a long time.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    None of them will. This poll won't gauge the voting tendencies of the Carlow Kilkenny constituents, they'll gauge the voting tendencies of tech savvy, reasonably intelligent, predominantly male, predominantly irish, predominantly under 40's in the Kilkenny City area.

If you were to apply this poll to Jackie Healy Rae's constituency, you think he would top the poll? Like hell he would, put people seem to vote him in all the same.

Not to say it's not a worthwhile excercise, it's just that your sample population is massively skewed, and you should bear that in mind when drawing conclusions from statistical data gleaned from it.

Not AT ALL surprised to see FG storming ahead in this one. The reality might be very different. We got three FF last time, what's the bets on three FG this time?

I know it's not accurate at all, however it is useful to see what this group of people think, and also to compare Kilkenny to other regions which have boards polls as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

One vote for Mary White. Why? ;)

• Advertisement

mfitzy wrote: »
    One vote for Mary White. Why? ;)

one vote too many . . maybe she has a boards account?

1st posters up today, phil hogan seems to have covered half the town in them. Every roundabout on the ring road seems to half him smiling down at you. . . He got all the good spots anyway!

Maybe he just really likes roundabouts.

John Paul Phelan is doing well in the poll.

Probably a lot to do with the age group of people on here?

Yeah he is alright. My thoughts exactly on the age group. I reckon he'll get in though. I would like to see him get in.

My predicitons:

JPP and PH for FG
    JMcG for FF

are a shoo-in. I also reckon Mary White and Conor MacLiam are not at the races (5/1 and 20/1 respectively) and I don't think the shinners will sneak one in either though we could all be surprised on that one.

This leaves two seats to go with Deering (FG), Phelan & Hurley (Lab) and Aylward (FF) fighting for them. What you reckon?

Phelan is not well known around these parts and neither is Deering, but Aylward is known for belonging to a party that orchestrated the systematic disintegration of our entire economy so it's hard to know.

A lot of stupid people are allowed to vote.

Yeah he is alright. My thoughts exactly on the age group. I reckon he'll get in though. I would like to see him get in.

My predicitons:

JPP and PH for FG
    JMcG for FF

are a shoo-in. I also reckon Mary White and Conor MacLiam are not at the races (5/1 and 20/1 respectively) and I don't think the shinners will sneak one in either though we could all be surprised on that one.

This leaves two seats to go with Deering (FG), Phelan & Hurley (Lab) and Aylward (FF) fighting for them. What you reckon?

Phelan is not well known around these parts and neither is Deering, but Aylward is known for belonging to a party that orchestrated the systematic disintegration of our entire economy so it's hard to know.

A lot of stupid people are allowed to vote.

JPP has great odds at 1/2 to get the seat, compared to hogan's 1/40.

I wouldn't call mcguinness a shoo in, i'd say that he will be fighting with aylward for one. Labours will definately take one, sinn fein won't i'd say as their transfers won't work out with people giving both 1 and 2 to someone in their own county.

I reckon John Paul and Phil hogan will get in after that I just don't know, there is certainly a chance of a few surprises.

I just hope that the people who are voting FF all their lives as a habit or tradition can break the mould this time around, I think thats a major factor here ''brand loyalty'', and I reckon this might result in Aylward getting in, although they are not looking too good on the opinion polls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

bennyob wrote: »
    None of the above..............FF, FG too similar. Dont trust SF, don't like G. The rest are a waste of votes."DISILLUSIONED"

+1

There is a lot of dead wood on that list and regardless of political hue, the impression remains that self interest, then party interest take precedence.

I won't vote FF, never have./ Cute hoorism, politics of local fiefdoms

FG is replacing like with like / time we got past civil war politics

Lab won't renegotiate Croke Park which is lunacy

Greens should have bolted a lot sooner

SF eh, no thanks.

If anyone here feels like running I'll vote for you, promise.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Scallion 'ater

+1

[/QUOTE

Croke park is the only real chance of public sector reform. To try to do so with out union agreement would be lunacy - i.e. thousands of nurses and teachers on the streets. We've enough problems with our international reputation without that. Besides the deal is in fact delivering real reforms (albeit slowly) which will bring real savings. I say leave it be for another couple of years and tot up up the savings then before throwing this historic opportunity away.

As for the outcome of the election here I see FF vote holding up well in KK but collapsing in Carlow. Deering will take a seat in Carlow which ithink will see 3 FG and 2 FF returned. Labour candidates are poor. I thought Fucheon was appalling on Vincent Brown last night - hadn't a clue and couldn't string three words together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

+1

[/QUOTE

Croke park is the only real chance of public sector reform. To try to do so with out union agreement would be lunacy - i.e. thousands of nurses and teachers on the streets. We've enough problems with our international reputation without that. Besides the deal is in fact delivering real reforms (albeit slowly) which will bring real savings. I say leave it be for another couple of years and tot up up the savings then before throwing this historic opportunity away.

I see what you're saying and I'd respectfully disagree. Were nurses,teachers and other public sector workers to chose to strike, they may find the public support they've always relied upon would fail to materialise.

As the debt burden seems unsustainable and the possibility of default increases, I would think to leave it for another couple of years would be foolhardy.

If we are to return to the EU/IMF to seek a revision of terms then I'd think it fair public sector workers accept the situation calls for the initial agreement to be revisited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

As a long time labour voter, I see their refusal to review/amend the croke park agreement as very worrying and will damage them in the forthcoming election.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I see what you're saying and I'd respectfully disagree. Were nurses,teachers and other public sector workers to chose to strike, they may find the public support they've always relied upon would fail to materialise.

As the debt burden seems unsustainable and the possibility of default increases, I would think to leave it for another couple of years would be foolhardy.

If we are to return to the EU/IMF to seek a revision of terms then I'd think it fair public sector workers accept the situation calls for the initial agreement to be revisited.
    The greatest thing the outgoing government did. Convince the puclic the PS workers are at fault. My old lads wages are down at least 20% in the last two years with further talks more coming. also isn there talk of not paying student nurses now?? If that goes through i suspect the health system will be even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Looks like Phelan will do well. Has anyone noticed how small the Fianna Fail logo is on the posters?

Looks like Phelan will do well. Has anyone noticed how small the Fianna Fail logo is on the posters?

I don't think it's even on mcguinness' posters, although it does say vote 2 aylward and vote 3 murnane-o'connor.

It is on them alright, I stopped beside one to check.

Top left corner, off white on white, low contrast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

"Ah shur, you can't expect to get it for nothing!"

-Bobby Aylward when I question him on Student college fee's.

He hadn't a single clue about anything!

I'm sure the boards.ie/vote poll will be much more accurate than this one now! Considering it has already 100 votes, compared to the 52 here . .

JPP @2/1 FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭zinx

+ I thought Fucheon was appalling on Vincent Brown last night - hadn't a clue and couldn't string three words together.

100% agree.
    She came across as a right sour yoke.Add an ugly face and limited intelligence to that.

Also she represents a political wing that has "strong links" to a terrorist organisation,that in the past blew children to bits.

Horrible people and anyone that votes for them are scum.

• Advertisement

JPP @2/1 FTW!

Where do you get this price Fabby? I'll be havin some of that!

4/9 is all I can find on him

Advertisement