Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you plan to vote for?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

ft9 wrote: »
    Where do you get this price Fabby? I'll be havin some of that!

4/9 is all I can find on him

I think he was mixed up, he wasn't at 2/1, he was at 1/2 (which was very good) but the odds have since been shortened.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    It is on them alright, I stopped beside one to check.

Top left corner, off white on white, low contrast.

Had a look today, yeah i found it, where you said, took me a minute though! could he actually have made in any more inconspicuous?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

zinx wrote: »

She came across as a right sour yoke.Add an ugly face and limited intelligence to that.

Horrible people and anyone that votes for them are scum.

Attacking a candidate based on your judgement of their physical attractiveness is not too clever tbh.

I have no time for Sinn Fein, though those who support them are as entitled to do so as you are to back the candidate of your choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Sorry ft9, the tonynator is correct, I got them mixed up when I wrote it here and the odds have since been shortened (which is a good sign innit?).

20 quid on JPP at 1/2 wins a tenner plus your 20 back..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭zinx

Attacking a candidate based on your judgement of their physical attractiveness is not too clever tbh.

I have no time for Sinn Fein, though those who support them are as entitled to do so as you are to back the candidate of your choosing.
    Correct and I withdraw the remark I made over her physical repulsiveness.
    She is still a plank though and if that's the best the shinners can offer then best of luck to them:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

I don't agree. kathleen did well considering the others were all jumping in as usual. Comments on her looks etc just shows how politically illiterate you are. Shame on you.

I don't agree. kathleen did well considering the others were all jumping in as usual. Comments on her looks etc just shows how politically illiterate you are. Shame on you.

For you to say how well she did says it all for me.

Speaking of shame-Did she issue any apologies on behalf of the IRA?

For all the men,women and children murdered/tortured?

In our name?

But of course the shinners have no association to the IRA, so why should they?:rolleyes:

It will be a dark day for our state the day we let that crowd have a sniff of power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I have an idea but I'm not entirely sure. My father is mad for me to vote for SF :rolleyes: Ugh! Decisions :mad:

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    I have an idea but I'm not entirely sure. My father is mad for me to vote for SF :rolleyes: Ugh! Decisions :mad:

Not trying to swing your vote or anything, but judging by their lack of ideas, and general sweeping statements about ''burning the bondholders'', but having no idea what to do when they tell the IMF to feck off, i wouldn't personally think that voting for them tis the best idea. but this not being the politics forum, i shouldnt be going on about it!

For you to say how well she did says it all for me.

Speaking of shame-Did she issue any apologies on behalf of the IRA?

For all the men,women and children murdered/tortured?

In our name?

But of course the shinners have no association to the IRA, so why should they?:rolleyes:

It will be a dark day for our state the day we let that crowd have a sniff of power.

Looks like I touched a nerve zinx. I didn't say how well she did I said she did well considering...If all people ever do is look back then how can anyone ever move forward. The future of our country is at stake and on the 25th people have the chance to decide what that might look like. For me anyway everyone paying the price except bankers, developers and croked politicians ie those whose endless greed caused this collapse, is not good enough. There is a better way.

• Advertisement

Looks like I touched a nerve zinx. I didn't say how well she did I said she did well considering...If all people ever do is look back then how can anyone ever move forward. The future of our country is at stake and on the 25th people have the chance to decide what that might look like. For me anyway everyone paying the price except bankers, developers and croked politicians ie those whose endless greed caused this collapse, is not good enough. There is a better way.

Say that to the parents of Tim Parry (aged 12) and Jonathan Ball (aged 3) who were blown to bits in Warrington in 1993 by the IRA,who left a bomb in a litter box.
    And whose parents were told years later "of the regret " by the leader of Sinn Fein felt over the murder of those little innocent kids.

Omagh?

Manchester?

All murdered in our name.

And you are on here talking about "everyone paying the price" and "not looking back" and telling me "shame on you"????

Are you seriously for real?

Also "the future of our country is at stake and on the 25th everyone will have a chance.." Well that's certainly true and I for one, don't want Sinn Fein representing me or my family.
    Give me a rogue any day over them.

Say that to the parents of Tim Parry (aged 12) and Jonathan Ball (aged 3) who were blown to bits in Warrington in 1993 by the IRA,who left a bomb in a litter box.
    And whose parents were told years later "of the regret " by the leader of Sinn Fein felt over the murder of those little innocent kids.

Omagh?

Manchester?

And you are on here talking about "everyone paying the price" and "not looking back" and telling me "shame on you"????

Also "the future of our country is at stake and on the 25th everyone will have a chance.." Well that's certainly true and I for one, don't want Sinn Fein representing me or my family.

Entitled to your view. So is everyone else thats why Boards is used by so many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Omagh?

Manchester?

History is littered with examples of organisations and individuals who turned away from violence, and joined the mainstream political process. The most notable being The ANC led by Nelson Mandela.

Sinn Fein have been in government in the North for quite a few years now, the majority of them in partnership with the DUP, something that would have been unthinkable during the height of The Troubles.

If the people of The North have been prepared to move on, perhaps the people of The Republic should also move on, and consider Sinn Fein as a viable alternative to the shower that have got us into the mess that we are currently in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't think the IRA thing really comes into it. People won't be voting for Sinn Féin because they're too left wing. How as ever, judging by the boards.ie vote, they've number one in a few constituencies, Pearse Doherty is one man I wouldn't be betting against anyway.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I don't know why SF are singled out as the destructive ones, how many millions has Ireland lost due to the economic policies of the two centrist parties since the foundation of the state.

SF has been exposed to British politics where mps who cheat on their expenses go to jail. It would be a good thing if SF were to bring some of that ethic into joke that is Irish politics.

BTW, the state was fought for and there was blood.

The big black mark against SF was their vote in favor of the blank check for the banks. It was crazy to bailout a flawed sector without any means to impose new terms; the bailed out bankers would never had got their bonuses if terms and conditions had been set.

They're just a different shade of incompetence.

I don't think the IRA thing really comes into it. People won't be voting for Sinn Féin because they're too left wing. How as ever, judging by the boards.ie vote, they've number one in a few constituencies, Pearse Doherty is one man I wouldn't be betting against anyway.

I'd agree with you that they are left wing, and this would put some people off. However the right wing haven't led us to such a good place at present. Maybe it's time for something different. I can't see it happening in this election, but maybe a few years of another right wing led government will wake people up to voting for real change next time.

Regarding the IRA thing, i'd love to say that it's not an issue, but from the conversations i'm having both online and offline it's still citied as a huge reason why people won't vote for Sinn Fein. Maybe it's one of those things that will take more time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

catbear wrote: »
    They're just a different shade of incompetence.

That's the biggest issue around this election, there really isn't any party leader that I can say, yes this is absolutely the person who will lead this country to a better period.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

That's the biggest issue around this election, there really isn't any party leader that I can say, yes this is absolutely the person who will lead this country to a better period.

To be honest I just can't understand why Sinn Fein have brought down Adams. Every time I've heard Pearse Doherty speak I've been well impressed. I think they should have put him up as the front man for Sinn Fein. Maybe this is a general election too early, but he is definitely one to watch.

DerryRed wrote: »
    To be honest I just can't understand why Sinn Fein have brought down Adams. Every time I've heard Pearse Doherty speak I've been well impressed. I think they should have put him up as the front man for Sinn Fein. Maybe this is a general election too early, but he is definitely one to watch.

I agree about Doherty being very impressive but Adams have led the way for years away from violence towards peace. That took some nerve, political brevery and skill. I think he will make an excellent TD and in time Docherty will most likely take over the leasership of SF.

SF measure things in decades not one election to the next. Thats one big difference from the other career parties. A strong SF presence in the Dail will put extreem preasure on the other 3 right wing parties ie FF,FG and Lab.

Lab are making a big mistake hitching their wagon to FG. Gilmore should be going for Taoiseach with SF and left independents if the numbers stack up after the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Ok own up which one of you guys is selling it?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/collectibles/1792586

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

catbear wrote: »

SF has been exposed to British politics where mps who cheat on their expenses go to jail. It would be a good thing if SF were to bring some of that ethic into joke that is Irish politics.

Sinn Fein milked the expenses cash cow in Westminster with as much enthusiasm as Labour and the Tories.

Given Sinn Feins refusal to even attend parliament, I would have thought their expense claims are particularly galling to the British taxpayer.

I agree about Doherty being very impressive but Adams have led the way for years away from violence towards peace. That took some nerve, political brevery and skill. I think he will make an excellent TD and in time Docherty will most likely take over the leasership of SF.

SF measure things in decades not one election to the next. Thats one big difference from the other career parties. A strong SF presence in the Dail will put extreem preasure on the other 3 right wing parties ie FF,FG and Lab.

Lab are making a big mistake hitching their wagon to FG. Gilmore should be going for Taoiseach with SF and left independents if the numbers stack up after the election.

Doherty came across on The Frontline programme last Monday night as a junior hurler trying to play Senior.
    So out of his depth,it was embarrasing.
    He also stated previously that he was a civil engineer.That was a lie because he only did 2 years of a basic 4 year course.So if you put that into context,would you allow a plumber/carpenter/electrician that had only served 2 years out of 4 do work on your house?
    Or more importantly,vote for somebody that doesn't tell the truth over something simple like his qualifications?
    Spoofer.Big time.

Gerry Adams leading the way away from violence?

Broken bones don't make the papers,do they? Is there still a ban on baseball bats up in the north? Because I know they are very much sought after amongst the republican community.Apparently,you cant get as much power with a hurl,hence the popularity of the auld bat.I believe they do a great job on the knees/elbows...

Any word on Gerrys brother,btw? The lad that the police are looking for?

Was Gerry out canvassing for him before all these "paeodphile allegations" came out in the media?

Did he show up yet?

Doherty came across on The Frontline programme last Monday night as a junior hurler trying to play Senior.
    So out of his depth,it was embarrasing.
    He also stated previously that he was a civil engineer.That was a lie because he only did 2 years of a basic 4 year course.So if you put that into context,would you allow a plumber/carpenter/electrician that had only served 2 years out of 4 do work on your house?
    Or more importantly,vote for somebody that doesn't tell the truth over something simple like his qualifications?
    Spoofer.Big time.

Gerry Adams leading the way away from violence?

Broken bones don't make the papers,do they? Is there still a ban on baseball bats up in the north? Because I know they are very much sought after amongst the republican community.Apparently,you cant get as much power with a hurl,hence the popularity of the auld bat.I believe they do a great job on the knees/elbows...

Any word on Gerrys brother,btw? The lad that the police are looking for?

Was Gerry out canvassing for him before all these "paeodphile allegations" came out in the media?

Did he show up yet?

Dig deep enough and you'll find skeletons in everyone's closet. None of us, politicians included, can claim perfection.

Dig deep enough and you'll find skeletons in everyone's closet. None of us, politicians included, can claim perfection.
    Of course.
    But some people have less imperfection than others.Such as not being associated with bank robbers,murderers,terrorists,thugs and elected representatives that embrace killers at the front gates of prisons on the day of their release.
    As Martin Ferris did to the killers of Jerry McCabe a few years ago.And well you know it.

You may fool some of the people some of the time,but you wont fool all of the people all of the time.

Regardless of their failings at least SF aspire for a republic rather than the robber baron kleptocracy that has made millions economics refugees over the decades and has straddled a new generation with a colossal life time debt.

However this election doesn't matter. It that one after that does. Say whatever you want, you can't build 300,000 empty houses and not expect the lenders to not want to exact some return. The state is now a financial special purpose vehicle, a debt servicing machine.

We will be let retain whatever we need to service that debt, but nothing more.

The election is merely the rearranging of the deckchairs. Like with the treaty reruns there will be a token rewording of the terms and conditions of the IMF deal but the debt will still dominate the economy for the next decade and beyond.

Certainly the election will bring a change of faces but from what I've heard there will be no change of government.

Of course.
    But some people have less imperfection than others.Such as not being associated with bank robbers,murderers,terrorists,thugs and elected representatives that embrace killers at the front gates of prisons on the day of their release.
    As Martin Ferris did to the killers of Jerry McCabe a few years ago.And well you know it.

You may fool some of the people some of the time,but you wont fool all of the people all of the time.

Like I said earlier history is littered with examples of political organisations that had a violent past. I recently finished reading Nelson Mandela's autobiography, and he was certainly no angel during the ANC's campaign of violence.

I believe that we should learn from these examples and rather than focus on the past, chequered as it is, we should instead debate the policies that each party are putting forward, and consequently vote for those with policies that will take us away from the mess that our current leaders have led us into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I have no interest in voting for any of them.

Like I said earlier history is littered with examples of political organisations that had a violent past. I recently finished reading Nelson Mandela's autobiography, and he was certainly no angel during the ANC's campaign of violence.

I believe that we should learn from these examples and rather than focus on the past, chequered as it is, we should instead debate the policies that each party are putting forward, and consequently vote for those with policies that will take us away from the mess that our current leaders have led us into.

Zinx is a saint by any reading. Pride before a fall. No wonder our country is the way it is with people like him / her. The arrogance reminds me of FF politicians who close their eyes and think everything is perfect. Perfect for them while the rest of us suffer for their incredeble greed. Even M. Martin said hes keeping his €90K payoff while cutting the minium wage to €7.65. About 100 years on the backbenches is where they belong

Don't forget that Fianna Fail put a ceiling on how much compensation the church has to pay. The RCC covered up child abuse and now the the taxpayer is bailing them out too.

FF gave the church your children and your pay packet to the bankers and developers.

An outsider may think we insist upon misery.

SF has links to murder in the past but their action pale against the millions of lives affected by emigration and child abuse during the rule of various FF governments.

The self interest politics of the gombeen voter is the greatest enemy we face today. They vote in their personal interest and are then outraged when the person they elect has, indeed like them, helped themselves.

Government in this nation seems to be a fantasy whereby everybody believes they can live at everyone elses expense.

• Advertisement

I've enjoyed the debate on this thread, but I wanted to comment on something that has been festering over the last few elections and in my view has come to a head in this election. I'm talking about the "there's no-one I want to vote for", or the "none of the candidates represent my views" brigade.

General Elections in this country come around at least every 5 years. If you feel you're not represented by any of the candidates/parties standing for election, stop wingeing, and get involved in the process. If all the people who moan about not being represented, organised themselves, surely there would be enough among them who would be prepared to stand as candidates.

Maybe, maybe not.

I'm involved in a number of committees and voluntary organisations, and it's been my experience that the people who make the most noise (especially when things are going wrong) are the same people who are aren't prepared to give up their time to contribute to the fixing of the issues, and ensuring that they don't happen again.

After this election, it'll be 5 years till the next one (maybe less). Here's hoping that those people complaining about lack of representation get their finger out, and make sure that their views are represented the next time.

If you wait for someone else to step forward to represent your views, it's more than likely that your views won't be represented.

Advertisement