Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power boat Festival 2011 ?

Options
  • 29-01-2011 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Is there going to be another festival this year? I know the organisers were keen to return again this year and there was a lot of hype about it. I haven't hear a thing since then however.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Is there going to be another festival this year? I know the organisers were keen to return again this year and there was a lot of hype about it. I haven't hear a thing since then however.

Nothing planned. I was hoping to host a round of the ISA Offshore series but their calender is pretty full and we don't want to over-crowd it.

However, Clifden Sailing Club are hosting a round of the P750 National Championships on June 5th 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

So another wasted year. Nothing happening.:(

Go organise something so! Are you used to being spoon-fed free entertainment? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Go organise something so! Are you used to being spoon-fed free entertainment? :pac:

Steady on there JC ! I was just airing my frustration that there was nothing on this year that people could focus on. There was a lot of hype last year after the power boat festival that it would return again this year. There are a lot of people in this town, even more so now that the recession has set in, that welcome these events so they can have family days out. Families on low incomes just can't afford to pay the high cost of tickets for shows in the arts festival nor have they money to throw away on horses at the races. Free events give them something to look forward to during the summer and also bring in a lot of income to local businesses. The organisers of these events deserve all credit for their efforts and I'm not knocking them. No I wouldn't say that I am "used to being spoon-fed free entertainment" I have always supported the free events in Galway. When the air show asked the public for donations on their web site I gave willingly. Also when they had buckets for donations when they were selling T-Shirts and programmes I gave again and it was'nt coins that I put in there. I also have spent probably more than I should to support the likes of the VOR and the power boat festival, and gladly at that, so I don't take these festivals for granted. As far as organising something myself, well I don't have the know-how, the experience or the contacts etc. etc. to do that. I would, and have, volunteered my help in anyway I could whenever these events are held to support them. Roll on next year and the return of the VOR.

vulcan - it wasn't a dig, chill :)

Do you know who ended up paying for a lost of the cost of the Powerboat Festival? The competitors (Trust me, i'd know ;)) - Things like insurance etc. all came from our own pockets. While it wasn't costing anyone anything to watch, it was costing the competitors a lot of money to be out there in the water.

YES, this event helped many local business' in the city and Salthill, but what did the competitors get back for it? NOTHING! Remember, it's the competitors spending money in the first place that is boosting the local economy for the event. We still paid full prices for accomodation, food, fuel, insurance etc.

There was some money from Council etc. but it was only a fraction of what was given for the VOR and again this was put into the spectator side of things, not the competitor

There are professionals who help in the organising of these events who must be thanked, but there are countless volunteers who also help on a high level who don't get a cent (but does cause a lot of stress!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

JohnCleary wrote: »
    We still paid full prices for accomodation, food, fuel, insurance etc.

That's a pity local hotels didn't get in on it and "host" a team each, would have been good publicity for themselves too. I'm guessing a lot of them would have wanted to be in either the Harbour or House hotels though for handiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Galway is hosting an Ironman event this year;
    http://www.ironmanireland.com/

foto joe wrote: »
    That's a pity local hotels didn't get in on it and "host" a team each, would have been good publicity for themselves too. I'm guessing a lot of them would have wanted to be in either the Harbour or House hotels though for handiness.

Joe - That would have made sense... so hardly gonna happen in Galway ;) It's a very good idea though that should be kept in mind for future reference.

Actually, very little people stayed within very close proximity of the Docks. Think a few stayed in the Great Southern, but a lot got houses

Advertisement