Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to take up?

• 29-01-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hey hey,would like to learn how to fight, I'm a fairly big guy and can prob handle myself, more from just me and my brother rowing when we were growing up, wouldn't be a wuss like. However if i got attacked by two or three knacks i wouldn't say i could defend myself very well. I think I'd just be looking for self defense, but in a brawler type of way, not sure if this is something you can learn or you just have? What would I be looking to take up, karate, muay thai..? Sorry for long post, any comments welcome.. (and i know the first thing to do is run but don't think knowing a few moves would do any harm)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

daithi09 wrote: »
    I think I'd just be looking for self defense, but in a brawler type of way, not sure if this is something you can learn or you just have?

Sounds like you after some gross motor skills there... :) If your based in Dublin have a chat to Jon Mackey (he's a mod here).

Have a gander at his site:

http://www.combatives.ie/home/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

No training will ever make you impervious to a group attack.

MMA / Muay Thai would be the best sports for getting fit, strong, and a little capability of fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

Thanks guys, the combatives.ie looks good for real life application. i know I'm not some sort of superman but being able to know how to fight would have to improve ones chances. Plus would be good to get strenght/fitness up anyway I suppose if nothing else..

Think MMA is brilliant and would love to try it, think I would have to get my fitness up a good bit before starting tho?

In college in dublin so anywhere really up tyhere in the evenings would be good for me, i drive back to drogheda every evening so alls good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Hey hey,would like to learn how to fight, I'm a fairly big guy and can prob handle myself, more from just me and my brother rowing when we were growing up, wouldn't be a wuss like. However if i got attacked by two or three knacks i wouldn't say i could defend myself very well. I think I'd just be looking for self defense, but in a brawler type of way, not sure if this is something you can learn or you just have? What would I be looking to take up, karate, muay thai..? Sorry for long post, any comments welcome.. (and i know the first thing to do is run but don't think knowing a few moves would do any harm)

Cover, crash, counter... run.
    No training will ever make you impervious to a group attack.

Best to curl up in a ball and hope for the best? Of course there are principles you can apply to a multiple assailant situation that increase the odds of creating some space to run. Most victims of multiple or gang attacks do however subscribe to the attitude that there is nothing that can be done and in many cases end up with the sh1te smashed out of them and/or don't go home at all.

Would most trained fighters not have good odds against 2-3 average sized ppl with no martial arts skills; and surely the element of surprise would come in a bit when the 'victim' would fight back.. I know most martial arts people would try to get out of the situation without it coming to that but just wondering. Sorry I may have being watching too many action films of late..

• Advertisement

Of course the guy who sells combatives training will say "reduce the odds".

Increased self-esteem, confidence and sense of self worth which many many people get from healthy, physical activity such as MMA and Muay Thai would be one of the many reasons why these guys would cope better with an attack then some eye gouger.

Daithi, lots of clubs between town and drogeda for mma and muay thai
    - finglas
    - baldoyle
    - swords
    -rush
    -dundalk (not on the way i guess)

surely the element of surprise would come in a bit when the 'victim' would fight back.. I know most martial arts people would try to get out of the situation without it coming to that but just wondering. Sorry I may have being watching too many action films of late..

Absolutely...Unfortunately there are no guarantees in any training... Training can only ever improve your chances.

There's loads here to choose from - try a few clubs out. But I think if you have a go with Jon - you'll be very pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Would most trained fighters not have good odds against 2-3 average sized ppl with no martial arts skills
    Assuming their training is good, then they should have better odds than an untrained person in the same situation. I still wouldn't call those good odds, though. There's just too many variables that are outside your control.

thanks, yeah I realise it's a bit of a stupid question because of how many variables there are but think I could do with a few basic techniques all the same. I'l look into finding a club, Dublin might be best as would like to have to trek to far away from motorway in the evenings as it sounds a lot like work.. ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

In college in dublin so anywhere really up tyhere in the evenings would be good for me, ...

Most colleges in Dublin would have a karate, or judo, or MMA club?? Much cheaper for you to train with the college clubs.

Z

• Advertisement

Yeah gonna look into jon, seems like something I'd be after.

And if the college i'm in has an mma club I'l def go there for a visit.. Would judo and karate be in the same category as mma? Sorry i'm clueless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Of course the guy who sells combatives training will say "reduce the odds".

So, YOU trained Combatives and know exactly what's involved????
    Would most trained fighters not have good odds against 2-3 average sized ppl with no martial arts skills;

As Doug Cartel said, depends on their training AND there are so many variables. One thing that rarely comes up in these discussions is the presumption that the gougers are brainless and don't have stratagies which IS mostly the case but we're lucky here in Ireland in that we don't really have organised street gangs/football hooligans who DO USE specific tactics AND run them regularly.

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    So, YOU trained Combatives and know exactly what's involved????

no it has nothing for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Do a course on NLP and never have to fight :D
    Im kidding... kinda.
    Just a prevention is better than cure joke i guess.

I watched a series called fight quest recently and they trained in Israel doing Krav Maga.
    It seemed like a good method to prepare the body and mind for hand to hand combat and mulitple attackers from all angles.
    Lots of dangerous practical moves like groin attacks,knife defence etc.
    And if its self defence for the streets you will already know there arent any rules there.So learning to kick a groin properly might be advantageous.
    If im faced with one or more people i will be going straight for the groin, neck and eyes anyway lol
    If someone wants to force me to fight i tend to want them to pay a certain price for the privilege :D
    The last thing i would want to do is drop them down and start wrestling.
    However i will mostly be focusing myself on jiu jitsu and will add some muay thai, boxing and wrestling too if i can integrate it easy enough.
    I have self defence in mind but really for me its going to be about the challenge of learning the sport and also fitness, maybe competing if i turn out to have a knack for it.
    So i think something you might enjoy would be a good option overall.
    And either mma or krav maga would be my choice i think.

I have lived all over Ireland and in spain too and not once has a guy taken a swing at me through all the rough places ive lived and went clubbing,had some close calls though especially in Derry city lol.
    Ive seen so many at the same time get smashed up in fights and i must conclude my knowledge of people and NLP has served me better than my streetfighting skills in that respect.
    I still agree though that knowing how to punch and throw people would give you a better chance to get away since you would be accustomed to getting punched in the face or at least i plan to be.That is my main goal in self defence.Get used to being battered so i can function normally in that situation.Most likely i will never need to fight on the street.But never say never!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

If you're finding yourself in situations where two or three fellas are having a go at you, then maybe avoid these places?

An awareness of your environment and persons in it is worth more than any martial ability when it comes to self-defence. Failing that run away! Martial arts will not turn you into an unstoppable warrior (despite what many will have you believe) and dealing with multiple aggressors is likely going to wind up with you getting hurt no matter what training you've done. However taking up a martial art will build upon what you already have. If you're looking for self-defence, i.e skills and drills you can learn quickly, try boxing or Krav Maga and check out books by Geoff Thompson.

check out books by Geoff Thompson.

That's a very good starting point. :)

Yeah I've never being attacked by a group, but I could see how it could easily happen.. I am quite observant and tend to keep an ear out if I'm in a quiet place. I'm gonna look into all advice giving and hopefully take something up in next month or so.
    I would also like to work on my fitness so it's perfect for that anyway...!

Think i better stop reading Lee Child novels and giving myself ideas that I should be able to handle myself in group attacks..ha

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭antybots

Leaving all the self defense stuff aside, It's important to choose the art that's right for you. Some people naturally lean towards striking arts while some lean towards grappling arts, and some are in between. Only by trying various types will you eventually settle on one or two that you prefer. For example, I could tell you to go and do Judo but you might actually prefer boxing. Try as many as you can and see what you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

As a beginner myself (4 months), I would recommend ITF Taekwondo to anyone.
    Probably not the best choice if you are purely looking for self-defence but there's a lot of action to be had, you'll get fit, you'll get hit and as I see it, it's very beginner friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Yeah gonna look into jon, seems like something I'd be after.

And if the college i'm in has an mma club I'l def go there for a visit.. Would judo and karate be in the same category as mma? Sorry i'm clueless...

Drop me a PM when you like mate. We'll have you eye gouging and spitting ears in no time :D

Good man sid ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

yomchi wrote: »
    Drop me a PM when you like mate. We'll have you eye gouging and spitting ears in no time :D

Good man sid ;)

lol:D

yomchi wrote: »

Good man sid ;)

Ha ha... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Think i better stop reading Lee Child novels and giving myself ideas that I should be able to handle myself in group attacks..ha

Yeah. Unless you're 6'5" and 250lbs like Reacher you might have to take a different approach.;)

Advertisement