Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't access site

• 29-01-2011 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

In the last few days I can't access a site ,I have tried on my laptop and desktop but not reponding on either, I got by brother to open same site on his PC at the same time and he had no issue,

I have used this site for many years,my brother said that the site is all revamped which happened around same time as my issue as I have not excessed it in its new fomat, but he said the address is the same etc so he cant understand what has happened
    I tried firefox aswell
    This is the message I get
    Oops! Internet Explorer could not connect to www.

turned off firewall still no luck

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

castle wrote: »
    In the last few days I can't access a site ,I have tried on my laptop and desktop but not reponding on either, I got by brother to open same site on his PC at the same time and he had no issue,

I have used this site for many years,my brother said that the site is all revamped which happened around same time as my issue as I have not excessed it in its new fomat, but he said the address is the same etc so he cant understand what has happened
    I tried firefox aswell
    This is the message I get
    Oops! Internet Explorer could not connect to www.

turned off firewall still no luck

The URL would help. And the results of pinging it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

What result does http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ give...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

It's possibly a DNS problem. Was your brother using the same internet connection as you when he tried, or was he somewhere else? (can other computers at your connection visit the site?). Do you know how to change the DNS servers your computer uses? Google 'changing DNS' and your operating system (e.g. windows XP) for directions. Change the primary DNS server to 8.8.8.8, reboot your computer and then try visiting the site again.

Let us know the results or if you have problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

Razzuh tried all you said still not luck
    also changed my ip address still no luck
    trickd just my pc is the problem
    spear you mean to go into config or can you explain
    Oops! Internet Explorer could not connect to www is what I get when I try excess rgw site

I thought it might be my laptop security settings,so brought laptop to brothers house and I could excess no problem throught his bb,
    anything else please suggest

he thinks my bb provider may have have the answer,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have you tried to make it a trusted site?
    go to tools - internet options - security and add it in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

castle wrote: »
    Razzuh tried all you said still not luck
    also changed my ip address still no luck
    trickd just my pc is the problem
    spear you mean to go into config or can you explain
    Oops! Internet Explorer could not connect to www is what I get when I try excess rgw site

I thought it might be my laptop security settings,so brought laptop to brothers house and I could excess no problem throught his bb,
    anything else please suggest

he thinks my bb provider may have have the answer,

Just open a command prompt and enter "ping mysteriousURLhere"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

It could be an issue with your hosts file in the windows directory. Take a peak there and see whats up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

It could be an issue with your hosts file in the windows directory. Take a peak there and see whats up.

+ 1 to this

In Vista, the hosts file is located in the Windows\System32\Drivers\etc directory. Open it using notepad. If there's an entry in there for your url, delete it as it may be pointing the url to an incorrect ip address.

If there is no entry in there add one for the url of the site you want to connect to. You can get it's ip address by pinging the url in a cmd prompt on your other pc which works.

is url eg 192.124.1.1 how do i find correct one, i use win 7, can you step me through process
    dilallio wrote: »
    + 1 to this

In Vista, the hosts file is located in the Windows\System32\Drivers\etc directory. Open it using notepad. If there's an entry in there for your url, delete it as it may be pointing the url to an incorrect ip address.

If there is no entry in there add one for the url of the site you want to connect to. You can get it's ip address by pinging the url in a cmd prompt on your other pc which works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

IP address = 192.124.1.1
    URL = http://www.....com

Just out of curiosity, can you access www.google.com?

• Advertisement

google is fine and all other site just this one, smart telecom have said some othr people are having same issue and they will get back to me in next few days
    lil_lisa wrote: »
    IP address = 192.124.1.1
    URL = http://www.....com

Just out of curiosity, can you access www.google.com?

We have done a trace to www.xxxxxxx.com from our core network and only get as far as a specific IP address which belongs to the Hosts of this website.

We have no relationship with this host so we cannot contact them for further investigate and we cannot change our routing just for a problem with 1 website.

You would need to contact the host of this website (I’ve attached details below), give them the trace results from our network and ask them to do a trace to your IP address: 84.203.44.33

Trace results from smart network to www.xxxxxx.ie

Tracing route to www.xxxxxx.com [a.b.c.d]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.0.3.20

2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.0.10.2

3 63 ms 31 ms 9 ms fe0-2-2-9.edge2.tcy.dub.stisp.net [84.203.225.33

]

4 7 ms 9 ms 9 ms ge1-3-0-102.core1.ixn.dub.stisp.net [84.203.130.

161]

5 9 ms 71 ms 9 ms 212-126-37-253.digiweb-to-dc-customer.net.digiwe

b.ie [212.126.37.253]

6 23 ms 23 ms 23 ms 10ge-linx224.c4l.co.uk [195.66.224.201]

7 23 ms 23 ms 23 ms wolverine-kraken.c4l.co.uk [84.45.90.150]

8 23 ms 19 ms 23 ms r1.fxxy.net [84.45.24.164]

9 * * * Request timed out.

10 * * * Request timed out.

11 * * * Request timed out.

12 * * * Request timed out.

13 * * * Request timed out.

14 * * * Request timed out.

15 * * * Request timed out.

16 * * * Request timed out.

17 * * * Request timed out.

Hosting Details

inetnum: 84.45.24.0 - 84.45.24.255netname: C4Ldescr: C4L Infrastructurecountry: GBadmin-c: MH2778-RIPEtech-c: SPS1-RIPEstatus: ASSIGNED PAmnt-by: C4L-MNTsource: RIPE # Filteredperson: Matthew Hawkinsaddress: Lower Ground Floor,address: 22 Canford Chambers,

Todays important lesson: rDNS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

would love to the know the feckin url:D:pac:

Im curious now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

I found the URL through other means but I'll say no more. :D

I sent an email to CONNEXIONS4LONDON Ltd. Their network manager replied stating this is not likely to be a C4L or Smart Telecom issue as connectivity between their two networks is looking OK and to contact the owners of the website. (tcptraceroute from here shows that the website in question is the next hop after r1.fxxy.net (84.45.24.164) so that does point to a server config issue rather than a routing issue).

I opened a support ticket at the website in question, adding C4L's reply and a link to this thread.

Cheers for that,
    Snowbat wrote: »
    I found the URL through other means but I'll say no more. :D

I sent an email to CONNEXIONS4LONDON Ltd. Their network manager replied stating this is not likely to be a C4L or Smart Telecom issue as connectivity between their two networks is looking OK and to contact the owners of the website. (tcptraceroute from here shows that the website in question is the next hop after r1.fxxy.net (84.45.24.164) so that does point to a server config issue rather than a routing issue).

I opened a support ticket at the website in question, adding C4L's reply and a link to this thread.

Hi I got so far using proxy it allowed me to acees the site but would not allow me sign in, is their a special proxy that would allow me to also log on with my account details

Tried and still no luck
    Skerries wrote: »
    have you tried to make it a trusted site?
    go to tools - internet options - security and add it in

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Has the OP tried to access the site with firebox

Yes,
    mach1982 wrote: »
    Has the OP tried to access the site with firebox

• Advertisement
Advertisement