Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educational Assesments- Language difficulties questions.

• 29-01-2011 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi I am a current fifth year student with a few question about educational assesments.
    I am generally a good student and get good grades mainly A's and B's ( with the exerption of french:P ). I am strong at english as ive been reading from a young age but am a dissaster a spelling. I tend to mix up letters or write exactly how I think the words sounds and teachers have warned me ill lose marks for this.I often mix up words to substiting similar sounding words making my writing not very claer and often can't put in words in essays as i don't no how to go about writing them.
    My biggest problem lies with other languages. I can't comrehend them. I can't read the question or speak it. All speelings and verbs are like a mess in my head. I can never remember vocab as the middle of the word gets confused. To even pass tests i have to learn of blocks of writing without understanding them and writing out evering word abou a dozen times adding one at a time untill i can correctly speel the words which can take hours and never sticks. The idea of caonstructing a sentence fails me. I ave always been to embaressed to talk about it and my family ofter brush it of as just a dislike but I definately think its something more as i really ca't see how anyone could learn languages then.
    had a tutore who asked me if i'd every been assed with dislexia. None of my previous teachers have noticed as i have managed to avoid speaking in class or answer questions and learn of paragraphs for tests, which managed to get me a B in th jc, i literally learnt paragraphys for weeks.
    Ive moved schools to a stricter school and now have no where to hide from in languae classes and just get in trouble for not studying when a test comes up that doesnt include a prewritten essay. I get really anxious and frustrated with it and am findind it hard to cope.
    People always brush it off as they say im smart and just need to study harder but i try really hard but it just feel like a big jumble in my head if that makes any sense?
    I was wondering is there educational assesnents out there to assess these kinds of problems are they expensive?
    Does anyone hear suffer from similar difficulties or if there a spelling waver or exeption pissible?
    Sorry for the ramble

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Amazing you've already been in two schools and neither has assessed you. Difficulties such as you describe are evident in homework - didn't they ever correct it?

If your current school does not have a competent special needs department you can get an assessment done privately, but there are waiting lists and it can be expensive.

The fact that you (from the point of view of the SEC) managed in the Junior Cert. will not really help your case for a waiver or exemption, but you should try apply for one through your school's special needs department in the first instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 catt101

Thanks for the info!
    My school doesn't have a special need department or the like but I might look into a private assment as a friend of mine gave me a contact.
    I think I was just told to keep an eye on my spelling and i never had a constant french teacher after first year.

Advertisement