Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Irish politicians be more respectful during Parlimentary Debates?

Options
  • 29-01-2011 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I've recently realised that Parliamentary Debates in the Dáil can be quite raucous and emotional compared to, say, UK or Canadian parliaments.

Irish politicians frequently interrupt one another, make personal remarks and are sometimes asked by the Ceann Comhairle to turn off their mobile phones.

I have collected a few quotes here as examples (and I'd welcome any suggestions): http://overheardinthedail.com/

Do people believe that this is an indicator of a frank and honest debating atmosphere or that it is counter-productive, lowering the standard of Irish Parliamentary debate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I think the baying should be banned, its absolutely ridiculous, a bunch of grown adults making sounds akin to teenage boys taking the mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

conornash wrote: »
    I've recently realised that Parliamentary Debates in the Dáil can be quite raucous and emotional compared to, say, UK or Canadian parliaments.

Irish politicians frequently interrupt one another, make personal remarks and are sometimes asked by the Ceann Comhairle to turn off their mobile phones.

I have collected a few quotes here as examples (and I'd welcome any suggestions): http://overheardinthedail.com/

Do people believe that this is an indicator of a frank and honest debating atmosphere or that it is counter-productive, lowering the standard of Irish Parliamentary debate?

Are you for real?

The Brits can seriously go to town compared to our insipid lot.

Historically anyway. I haven't watched much of our own shower in recent times for reasons that are all too obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 conornash

Are you for real?

The Brits can seriously go to town compared to our insipid lot.

Historically anyway. I haven't watched much of our own shower in recent times for reasons that are all too obvious.

Although the British Parliament can sometimes make personal allegations, they almost always wait until a person has resumed seating before offering a rebuttal. Contrast that to a standard Irish Parliamentary debate and you see interruptions everywhere, with the Ceann Comhairle regularly needing restore order to the House.

I personally think that it can be refreshing and allow minority voices to get their voice heard, though there are numerous downsides (not least the quality of some comments)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RetroBate

Given the arcane rules in the Dáil I'm surprised they are so well behaved.

I know I'd be bored out of my mind if I was a TD.

Dáil reform is needed.

Labour seem to be the party making the running on this issue but I doubt if it'll get them many votes.

Although the British Parliament can sometimes make personal allegations, they almost always wait until a person has resumed seating before offering a rebuttal. Contrast that to a standard Irish Parliamentary debate and you see interruptions everywhere, with the Ceann Comhairle regularly needing restore order to the House.

I personally think that it can be refreshing and allow minority voices to get their voice heard, though there are numerous downsides (not least the quality of some comments)

Fair enough. But I thought you were implying that the contribution that Irish TD's make in terms of energy and conviction in the chamber was in some way greater than their British counterparts.

Christ can you imagine Kenny at the despatch box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They shout and jeer and hear, hear each other in the House of Commons, the Dáil is tame in comparison

Prime Ministers Question time can be entertaining realy :D
    I used to enjoy watching Blair and Hague tear into each other,
    So with very few exceptions the TD's are respectful to each other. Too many interuptions though but at the same time, smaller parties are very limited in their speaking time. Reform can be looked at

If anything I'd like to see more passion and energy. Not just talking for show but definitely something can be added.
    They are our leaders after all......
    and are sometimes asked by the Ceann Comhairle to turn off their mobile phones.
    No excuse for that, let the Ceann Comhairle lash out some fines, proceeds to charity or something worthy

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭selfobsessed

No because it's pure entertainment, c'mon politics is dull enough as it is.

I used to enjoy watching Blair and Hague tear into each other

Hague was class at times against Blair, very witty.

Advertisement