Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Event

Options
  • 29-01-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there would be any interest in organising a national event.

Starting on a Friday and ending on Sunday.

Anyone got any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

BigGunner wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if there would be any interest in organising a national event.

Starting on a Friday and ending on Sunday.

Anyone got any ideas?

Well why don't you give us your idea first?

On a less sarcastic note; this has already been tried, although I think they had to cancel the event due to logistical difficulties or lack of committed numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭wormbyte

TA Events will still be looking at possibly running a game in Ireland sometime this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

Ian. I want to have your babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

wormbyte wrote: »
    TA Events will still be looking at possibly running a game in Ireland sometime this year.

HOLY ****ING ****TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
    TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
    TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
    TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Im still rather new, TA is...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

MagicIRL wrote: »

http://www.ta-events.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

They run a lot of big events across the water: Phoenix Rising, Chernarus Conflict etc.:)

I second Docs..'outburst':pac: I've wanted to go across to a TA event but if they bring one to me..also good:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Spike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭TNTQ

wormbyte wrote: »

oooooooooooooooh, nice
    Spike wrote: »

1st post in 3 and a half years. This must be going to be epic ;)

Count us in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Are you familiar with the term 'awesome' MagicIRL? Well, multiples of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Spike wrote: »

Dude, that was July last year - epic games too (thanks again Shane). It's a bit away yet, but there are a few plots bubbling away for this summer as well I believe.

... had picture used in the linked info too I believe. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Harveey

I've been looking at the TA Events for a while now, just the one thing that puts me off is the ammo limit as I'm not too sure about it, my slow mind hasn't grasped it yet:p is it 600 rounds split in magazines for the whole event or per life, can you reload when respawn? I haven't really been into the whole milsim games but have been contemplating for a while whether to do one or not :D but if they run one in Ireland I'd be well up for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭TNTQ

Harveey wrote: »
    I've been looking at the TA Events for a while now, just the one thing that puts me off is the ammo limit as I'm not too sure about it, my slow mind hasn't grasped it yet:p is it 600 rounds split in magazines for the whole event or per life, can you reload when respawn? I haven't really been into the whole milsim games but have been contemplating for a while whether to do one or not :D but if they run one in Ireland I'd be well up for it :D

x amount of rounds on your person depending on your role (Rifleman, Sniper, etc)

No carting around bbs in bags or other

reload at designated areas normally

Makes for a much more realistic experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Harveey

TNTQ wrote: »
    x amount of rounds on your person depending on your role (Rifleman, Sniper, etc)

No carting around bbs in bags or other

reload at designated areas normally

Makes for a much more realistic experience :)

Cheers:D Will definately be keeping my eye's on the TA website to see if an event in Ireland happens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Harveey
    There are many milsim style games on offer around Ireland if you want to see what it's like before you jump into something like a TA event.
    I don't know what part of the country you are based in, but hrta regularly hosts games run by evilrobotshane and the red barn runs some milsim style games on Wednesdays once the better weather kicks in. Remember, milsim is about more than ammo limits. You usually have a defined set of objectives to gain (usually without breaks in the game) and you may also be subject to medic rules and a defined chain of command which needs to be respected. Not all games use all the rules, but I really can't recommend it highly enough - it's a great way to play airsoft. If you are not based in Dublin, contact your local site and ask if they run any milsim games / events

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BigGunner

Would be great if TA did organize an event. BUT would it be possible if a few experienced heads got together and organised our own event. We have some great sites here and the guys that run these sites have put in alot of time and effort into them. Surely we could organize some sort of event.????

An event over a weekend to start with.

Game types

1: Could be one long all out war (milsim rules would apply)

2: Could have several missions over the wkend for the teams involved.

3: Could be campaign based and be spread over several wkend events throughout the year.

Any one got any ideas or suggestions???

Some of the site owners could collaborate and come up with an event(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Would be great if TA did organize an event. BUT would it be possible if a few experienced heads got together and organised our own event. We have some great sites here and the guys that run these sites have put in alot of time and effort into them. Surely we could organize some sort of event.????

An event over a weekend to start with.

Game types

1: Could be one long all out war (milsim rules would apply)

2: Could have several missions over the wkend for the teams involved.

3: Could be campaign based and be spread over several wkend events throughout the year.

Any one got any ideas or suggestions???

Some of the site owners could collaborate and come up with an event(s).

tbh all are being done in ireland, but tbh milsim just does not attract the numbers even in dublin

1) some events in dublin already with limit numbers showing interest

2) again done in dublin at a number sites ( htra mac and fingal for example )

3) done at mac but that is invite only , also done at htra on a smaller scale

some people have been trying hard to get events like this to work already, fortunately they need more people to show and interest and show support

Ya that's true. Could do with more support and interest. But if TA announced in the morning that they were hosting an event in say Tipp or wherever people would be trampling each other to get a place. Its a pity we as a community couldn't show that support for one of our own.

• Advertisement

Ya that's true. Could do with more support and interest. But if TA announced in the morning that they were hosting an event in say Tipp or wherever people would be trampling each other to get a place. Its a pity we as a community couldn't show that support for one of our own.

I would assume the reason for that is if TA are running it then you'll attract people that a bit more committed to the rules of the scenario rather than the usual rigmarole organisers here go through with people not reading the rules before the game, no knowing about ammo limits, moaning that they've no midcaps/wanting to use hicaps etc etc. I don't think people would be inclined to turn up half assed to the TA event compared to a standard milsim here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

Blay I don't think thats really fair on Irish sites. We have a tiny market here vs the UK, we don't communicate with each other very well (boards is zero use as the vast majority don't read much or any of it) and the sites need to allow walk-ons so as not to alienate their regular customs who didn't hear about it/try to make ends meet due to the low turn out.

Now if punters were willing to prebook (with a non-refundable deposit so they don't bail) it would make all the difference in enticing the site operators to running these events not to mention keeping the sleeve chewers at bay :)

I for one am very excited about the possibility of TA Events running a weekend long game over here (Predator I assume), not just for the opportunity of a good game but because it'll prove to the native site operators that it is possible to run a weekend long milsim here.

Blay I don't think thats really fair on Irish sites.

I never said anything about sites here being at fault, I said sites go through a rigmarole trying to run an event around players who are a bit lacking in commitment to the game, failing to read rules etc.

It's the mindset of players that hamper events here attracting big crowds, people not wanting it in Dublin/Galway/Cork because they'll have to travel, not wanting it in x place because the site is too small etc etc.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Danin

I have to say from experience listening to you both that you both have valid points. Regarding the misconception out there that we do not have existing sites here in Ireland with the capacity to run such an event is misguided. There are Sites that could facilitate the scale of such an event.

Pre Booking IMO is a must for an event such as this as it relates true interest to the site owner prior to them investing large amounts of cash to secure the infrastructure required for the event for example extra insurance, camping facilities, external lighting, security&marchells etc.

One of the problems is many people may say "this is great" "it's exactly what we want" but when it comes to actually committing themselves to go they simply don't, others tend to sit on the fence so to speak and wait to see who are the people they know that are going and hence gage the caliber of the game and their involvement prior to it taking place and you cant blame them.
    Unfortunately that's just the way things are here at the moment. I'd say run a one day large scale event to establish a good repore with the players and gain their trust in the sense that they would be then aware of your commitment to the standards of the game and they would be less hesitant in booking for a weekend event as it would not be as much of a gamble.

The reason TA Events and the likes of Berget are so popular is because they have been tried and tested and lads are guaranteed a good well structured gaming experience for their money every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Danin wrote: »
    The reason TA Events and the likes of Berget are so popular is because they have been tried and tested and lads are guaranteed a good well structured gaming experience for their money every time.
    You also get good scenery. The sites the TA games are played on are far beyond anything here when it comes to buildings etc.

Its a pity we don't have a site like that here.

Its a pity we don't have a site like that here.

You have to remember (as those of us who were looking forward to Copehill are painfully aware :D) that the sites used by TA are UK MoD facilities ... it's not really fair to compare those sorts of facilities to airsoft sites in Ireland, which are (by and large) woods or mixed sites without the number of structures and buildings that proper FIBUA sites have.

I still think that some sites in Ireland would have the size to run some larger weekend milsim games - but as pointed out above, it's also a question of scale - Ireland has a much smaller gamer pool (as far as I know) than the UK. We'd have to try to tempt our British cousins over the water (rather than all of us heading over there, as is normally the case) to get the level of turnout that you seem to get at the TA games.

That said, the idea of a TA event over here makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! While I'm looking forward to the April Senny trip, to be able to have a similar game on this side of the Irish Sea without the hassle and grief of shipping over to the Wales, is just champion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Spike

Dude, that was July last year - epic games too (thanks again Shane). It's a bit away yet, but there are a few plots bubbling away for this summer as well I believe.

That was last year??? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooooo, wish they put 2010 on it, have to build my site like that so for this summer!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭wormbyte

Thanks for the interest guys :)

You have to remember though that even we can't always pull the numbers in. My last Copehill game during June 2009 only managed to pull in 150 players. And last years Sennybridge September game only attracted 80 players. It can change from game to game though.

Last April's Senny game had 250 players whilst if this years Copehill had gone ahead then it would have been around 350.

But we do have the advantage that these attractive FIBUA sites do get interest from players from all over Europe, which is always going to bolster big numbers.

But we don't always have it plain sailing. For example, we had to cancel a woodlands game back in 2008 due to insufficient numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

It is possible to run a national event without it being milsim based with 'relatively' low hastle.

Got to get some key details square first;

1: How many players does your event take? 100-200? 500? It's a tradeoff between what you'd LIKE, and what you can realistically expect to get. Selecting a site must take this into account, its ok to be a little spread out, than reloading mags off your mate's vest becaues hes so close.

2:Insurance, catering concerns, toilet facilities for x number...

your local site's one portaloo may be grand for 40 airsofters each sunday, but 500 are going to make something hazmat would want to collect. Basically... your logitics...

How many people does your insurance cover? is the site for this game insured if its not a regular airsoft site?
    How are you going to feed people? fend for yourself? burger van?

Game plans, scenarios, and teams are honestly one of the last and smallest concerns. Most can be fit to any site with a bit of tweaking over a cup of coffee.

Best aproach, start small. Not tiny, but 100... If its sucessful, run a second, with twice that number. it rolls on from there.

Ian is probably one of the best people here to ask about the specifics or organising a big event, these points are more general.

Advertisement