Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Event

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

It depends on what people understand by mixing milsim and skirmish. TA Events' BattleSim games are precisely that, a mix between milsim and skirmish, and we like those.

Of course, this could be getting into the semantics argument about what the words mean. I'd like to expand our vocabulary to encompass more styles of play because there's loads more than just two, but that's another topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

It depends on what people understand by mixing milsim and skirmish. TA Events' BattleSim games are precisely that, a mix between milsim and skirmish, and we like those.

Of course, this could be getting into the semantics argument about what the words mean. I'd like to expand our vocabulary to encompass more styles of play because there's loads more than just two, but that's another topic.

well im going my past events, a mix of milsim in Ireland has meant a series of games over a weekend aimed at different demographics rather than something like ta events battlesim format for example, would agree there are far more th 3 'types' and most events are a sliding scale of all the elements with each one providing a differant mix of styles with different organizers leaning toward different styles, you just need to pick the one you want

in Ireland it has meant a skirmish style game with maybe another skirmish game with milsim elements e.g an ammo limit

im not going to sit hear and beg for events in Ireland , if the happen they happen, we can not compete with the uk or other country it may be may may years before you we can, if we ever can

we need to mature, people can put on games but they will not work without players with the right mind set and you can not for example shoe horn skimrish players into a milsim style game as it will just back fire on you , sites can be found, sites can be hired, players have to be made

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

sliabh wrote: »
    I would be more worried about the commitment. If a player is well equipped (no tracksuits and runners) and has the right level of engagement (knows what the game is, what to expect, has read the rules, and won't wander off mid way because their parents have come to collect them) then younger players are okay.

Couldn't that be said for all players?
    Don't be so agest mate and expect everyone younger than you to be lesser of an Airsofter...

If Milsim/Battle sims were easy and accessible to do that every site would be running them every weekend. I think people really do forget that we are a tiny country, of course its gunna work in places like the UK where the population is like 12 times the size of us!

Like Puding said I don't think the Irish Airsoft scene is at a level where large numbers could be supported. The mindset of Milsim/Battle sim needs to be pushed at local sites before anywhere attempts a large scale game.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Danin

Just having a look at the old thread you can see it simply wasn't promoted well. Even the game rules on the site still have the wrong fps limits.

If you had posted this in his thread last year a lot more people would of taken an interest.

Your last two posts have made that event sound a lot more interesting then anything on the 3 pages in the original thread.

Regarding the FPS limit that was a mistake be the website company that developed the website who had no previous experience of airsoft and where working of references from England.

but sure look lads a failure of one event is not the point, it was just mentioned as an example and there have been other attempted before and after it. I wanted to indicate it was the fact that people have tried this in the past and it didnt work, I'm not by any means trying to be negative I'd love an event like this and I would make every effort to attend if it did get off the ground. I also have to say that I can fully understand why people would find €100 or more to be expensive and therefore hesitant to chance it. IMO as I stated in one of my first posts start small as in a one day event and build a rep with the lads attending and word will spread this way its not as big a commitment from either the player regarding fees and not as much of a gamble for the site owner.

Another idea would be to set up a small group of recognised event organisers and maybe one or 2 site owners and ask them to collaborate to create a game hence the players will recognise the people involved and know the caliber of the game they will produce.

IMO the success of an event is down to the players attending and their willingness to make it a success, a site owner or event organiser can go every length possible to try their best to make a event elaborate with a good story line and side objectives but if the players hearts are not in it there is not much more they can do unfortunately therefore some of the owness falls to the players.
    As for driving 4 hours maximum, any event held in Ireland will almost definitely to be less expensive than attending one aboard considering most events held in England you are looking at a 3 hour ferry crossing and possibly a 5 hour drive on the other side not including the initial drive to catch the ferry and game cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭FingalAirsoft

The concept:

Ok guys here's the deal, I'm going to close the site on a given weekend for a 24hr battle sim game. Now here's the the catch I want you guys to nominate 5 people from the boards community to write the script and plan the event.... I want you guys to step up to the line and put your ideas forward for the theme and for the game play that you would like to see in the event!

I will provide the site, insurance and the props and the man power to make the event happen the way you want it to pan out..(now don't go putting in we want 5 mig's flying over the site every 10 minutes... be realistic)

The result:

You will as a community get the event you guys have being looking to attend.

How it will work:

Vote on the most likely people that you would like to write, script and plan the game and I will liaise with the community voted panel to make this event a reality.

The hat:

Throw your name into the hat if you think you have what it takes to see this through and the boards.ie community will choose the 5 people who will make this event what it is!

The five:

Can come and play on the site at any stage (free of charge) to get a feel for the site: I recommend playing it in the day time and during a night game to see what works best.

Remuneration:

Money.... NO!
    The reason for this is the site will more than likely make a loss hosting this event (Staff wages, electricity, extra insurance costs, no rentals for that weekend) which will have to be made up on the other weekends in that month.

Kudo's:
    Yes! You will be part and responsible for a unique event not held in Ireland before... organised by you the boards.ie community.

Bren you're just doing this to make money.... and someone else is doing the story for you!

To put it simply.... No I'm not, I will invest more money than this event will ever make in installing more solid cover and structures building up to this event.

I have held loads of unique events from Dark Mist to The Reckoning on my site and in GTAC (From the first Survival themed night game both indoor and out). I have hosted the most night games in the Country both North and South.

I'm given you the community a chance to host your own event with a site limit of 70 players for this event.

So there you have it Boards.ie Airsoft community.... the challenge is laid down... will you accept it?
    If we as a community can achieve this.... then maybe it will lead to bigger and better games and more site owners will start to plan big events that everybody can attend and enjoy!

Bren:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Couldn't that be said for all players?
    Don't be so agest mate and expect everyone younger than you to be lesser of an Airsofter...
    It can be said of all players. And as someone in their late 30's I am certainly not going to say that people younger than me are less of airsofters.

I certainly don't have a problem with under 18's playing, which is the gist of what I said. I just don't want to pay good money for an event, and find that suddenly a chunk of my team dissapears because their parents have come to collect them, or that players drop out because the one battery they brought is now dead, or that they have to give up as their p.o.s. AEG has stopped working (again). Not all under 18's are like that, but it is something I see EVERY time I visit a site. This isn't an ageist thing.
    If Milsim/Battle sims were easy and accessible to do that every site would be running them every weekend.
    Personally I don't think they are not easy and accessible. There might be a slight extra overhead in terms of gear (having a set of mid-caps) but otherwise it's easy enought to organise and run one. The problem is that at the moment there doesn't seem to be the demand. The average attendence for milsim events in Ireland is about 40. And that is when they are only run on special occasions like bank holiday weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

The concept:

Ok guys here's the deal, I'm going to close the site on a given weekend for a 24hr battle sim game. Now here's the the catch I want you guys to nominate 5 people from the boards community to write the script and plan the event.... I want you guys to step up to the line and put your ideas forward for the theme and for the game play that you would like to see in the event!

I will provide the site, insurance and the props and the man power to make the event happen the way you want it to pan out..(now don't go putting in we want 5 mig's flying over the site every 10 minutes... be realistic)

The result:

You will as a community get the event you guys have being looking to attend.

How it will work:

Vote on the most likely people that you would like to write, script and plan the game and I will liaise with the community voted panel to make this event a reality.

The hat:

Throw your name into the hat if you think you have what it takes to see this through and the boards.ie community will choose the 5 people who will make this event what it is!

The five:

Can come and play on the site at any stage (free of charge) to get a feel for the site: I recommend playing it in the day time and during a night game to see what works best.

Remuneration:

Money.... NO!
    The reason for this is the site will more than likely make a loss hosting this event (Staff wages, electricity, extra insurance costs, no rentals for that weekend) which will have to be made up on the other weekends in that month.

Kudo's:
    Yes! You will be part and responsible for a unique event not held in Ireland before... organised by you the boards.ie community.

Bren you're just doing this to make money.... and someone else is doing the story for you!

To put it simply.... No I'm not, I will invest more money than this event will ever make in installing more solid cover and structures building up to this event.

I have held loads of unique events from Dark Mist to The Reckoning on my site and in GTAC (From the first Survival themed night game both indoor and out). I have hosted the most night games in the Country both North and South.

I'm given you the community a chance to host your own event with a site limit of 70 players for this event.

So there you have it Boards.ie Airsoft community.... the challenge is laid down... will you accept it?
    If we as a community can achieve this.... then maybe it will lead to bigger and better games and more site owners will start to plan big events that everybody can attend and enjoy!

Bren:)

well there ya go Fingal Airsoft has laid it down, u wanted an national event that you could all take part in, so get the ball rolling i look forward to "watching this space" as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Harveey

I agree with Bren it would be good to have player's from the community work on the story and what they want to play in it, and who know's it could be the start of larger scale event's in Ireland which I think would be a positive for the sport itself that as a community we could work together to make this happen rather than talk about what could've happened with previous events. As said I know people will still be comparing to the likes of bigger events held in England and other countries but as we are such a smaller community compared to England and the money put in over there I feel this could be the stepping stone we need to push the sport further :D

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

Nice one Bren! I'm in the hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭FingalAirsoft

Nice one Bren! I'm in the hat.

Thank you Shane;) that's one name in the hat so far:) come on guys step up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

I'll stick my name in too

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BigGunner

I'm in mallow but if i can help no prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

As someone who's helped organise some bigish events (involved currently in Jimbina dawn) in the uk... I'll put down to help should you guys want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I am remote as well, but would be happy to help in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

<wishful thinking schnipped>

Fingal isn't even nearly large enough or set up enough for an event this size. If a site were found somewhere accessible that had facilities (or could get them, even temporarily) then I'd be all over this -- as you say, enough people go on about doing stuff for Airsoft, but I think a 'national event' should really aim higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

gerrowadat wrote: »
    but I think a 'national event' should really aim higher.

A large stumbling block to any planning of a much talked about 'national' event is arriving at consensus on what is a national event. As Puding has quite insightfully pointed out, different people want different things so you'll never be able to please all of the people all of the time. I would say that rather than obsessing (to put a figure of speech on it) over a national event, people would probably see more mileage out of a simple case of "I/we/organisation/company want to run a weekender event catering for 100/200/500/1000/n people. Here are the details"

or

"I/we/organisation/company want to run a <insert more specific event> catering for 100/200/500/1000/n people, and here are the more detailed criteria/rules/etc."

And then leaving to people to decide if they want to attend or not. Looking at any event I've ever attended has simply gone about its business as an event rather than some sort of officious, national event.

Ireland already has at least one notable large event a year in the form of the annual Predator weekend event, and more if one starts to look at single day events that have been run at HRTA and the like. Every event series starts small; TA-Events started with single days in Pipping (iirc??) wood, as did Berget-Events start small. I'm fairly certain Stirling started out small, the TOD series was/is small but coordinated. F&O events, Gunman series, etc. And then any other event I've attended has been site-specific like Predator, Fireball Squadron, Ground Zero, etc.

Excellent point Lemming - events aren't 'National Events' by fiat. It's a case of putting it on and building it up by its own merits.

lads i started this thread and asked a question.

Ok i should have call it another name.

You cares what its called. Lets just get on with it and if it fails it fails if its great its great.

milsim or skirmish?? At the end of the day its AIRSOFT.

If people don't want to go stay at home. Simple.

Fingal isn't even nearly large enough or set up enough for an event this size. If a site were found somewhere accessible that had facilities (or could get them, even temporarily) then I'd be all over this -- as you say, enough people go on about doing stuff for Airsoft, but I think a 'national event' should really aim higher.

Gerrowadat you can clearly see that Bren says its limited to 70 people as he know's Fingal can facilitate up to that amount of player's and have the space for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

BigGunner wrote: »
    lads i started this thread and asked a question.

Ok i should have call it another name.

You cares what its called. Lets just get on with it and if it fails it fails if its great its great.

milsim or skirmish?? At the end of the day its AIRSOFT.

If people don't want to go stay at home. Simple.

BigGunner, the reason I commented on the term used (national event) is that it tends to conjure up notions of events with large attendance and impressive facilities/massive game area/vehicles/etc. It may not seem like much, but it's important to note the use of the word national in trying to sell an event to people.

Anyone wanting to organise an event (and I've thought about it myself a few times ... ) needs to think about what it is they want to run/sell. For example, what's your idea of milsim? I'm not trying to put you in the spotlight here, more trying to show that there's a lot more to consider than might be obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭elDiablo79

Fingal can easily handle 70 players. and if shane or who ever else is running an event ill be there. ;)

Harveey wrote: »
    Gerrowadat you can clearly see that Bren says its limited to 70 people as he know's Fingal can facilitate up to that amount of player's and have the space for them.

Yes, but my point is it should be a little more than just "Hey, everyone show up to my site on this particular day!". I mean, that happens every weekend. I was at Red Barn last week and there were 98 there at one point -- it didn't make the day anything special, it's the above and beyond stuff that does that.

I know what your saying lemming. Everyone has his/her own idea of what milsim is. It can vary from ammo limit to strict rule on uniforms.

Lets use this event as a "driving lesson" and if mistakes are made then changes can be made the next time a similar one is held.

Lets try to organise a weekend long "event" that starts on sat morn and ends sun afternoon.

People who wish to attend must first understand thats its going to be used as a test event and therefore the price per ticket needs to mirror this.

Lets try it and see.

Yes, but my point is it should be a little more than just "Hey, everyone show up to my site on this particular day!". I mean, that happens every weekend. I was at Red Barn last week and there were 98 there at one point -- it didn't make the day anything special, it's the above and beyond stuff that does that.

Yes, I understand that but I know from past experience's in Fingal and as I'm in there every weekend that it would more than facilitate 70 player's but with planning as well and Bren said he would put the money into it for player's. We have to remember though as Lemming stated above that the thread was named wrongly as people seeing it as National Event will just assume something big, whereas what Bren has proposed seem's logical as it's not massive but it's not small either. It could work if people gave an input into it, gave idea's, Bren has even said to people who will be planning it they can come down have a look themselves and get a feel for the site and see themselves what will work and what they would like:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded

isn't even nearly large enough or set up enough for an event this size. If a site were found somewhere accessible that had facilities (or could get them, even temporarily)

Dave we have a site opening soon (very accessable) with all facilities and its both outdoor and indoor, the building is 1,200,000 sq ft and the outdoor area is slightly over an acre (or there abouts).

Would this suit?

Its located off the motorway and is accessable by public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭G.I Joseph

I would think that at least restricted ammo should be incoporated and maybe milsim stlyle objectives. Otherwise you'll have a huge brap fest with no incentive to move or get involved. A huge skirmish would'nt really go that well for 24 hours.

G.I Joseph wrote: »
    I would think that at least restricted ammo should be incoporated and maybe milsim stlyle objectives. Otherwise you'll have a huge brap fest with no incentive to move or get involved. A huge skirmish would'nt really go that well for 24 hours.

On the contrary we held two weekend long games where there was no limit and full auto was encouraged :D and they both went quite well.

Whether there is a limit or not or a burst/single fire rule in place you should be able to move, suppress and move dude ;)

Well full auto with restricted ammo definately:D making people think and be careful on the trigger ;) and not needlessly waste their ammo:p

Harveey wrote: »
    Well full auto with restricted ammo definately:D making people think and be careful on the trigger ;) and not needlessly waste their ammo:p

I have to admit that it adds to the game but in no way is it necessary to make it more real/enjoyable or anything.

I always get people playing in our place using mid caps and they're always saying that its more realistic becuase they have around the same amount of ammo per mag that the average soldier would but at the end of the day the average soldier wouldn't carry so many mid caps :D:p.

• Advertisement

But it's personal choice at the end the day ;) some people might prefer say 600 round limit then have that spread in a few mid's or high's, it add's alot as i'd be more concerned with hitting people with one shot(which is far more enjoyable in my own opinion) to hitting someone with a burst :p but then again that is personal opinion and choice:p but back on topic of the event, if it gauges enough interest I'm sure it would be put together soon enough :D

Advertisement