Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Event

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded

Harveey wrote: »
    But it's personal choice at the end the day ;) some people might prefer say 600 round limit then have that spread in a few mid's or high's, it add's alot as i'd be more concerned with hitting people with one shot(which is far more enjoyable in my own opinion) to hitting someone with a burst :p but then again that is personal opinion and choice:p but back on topic of the event, if it gauges enough interest I'm sure it would be put together soon enough :D

True enough it is personal choice dude and I'd agree with you that getting someone with a single right to the mush is well better than just throwing bbs at them.

As for the event we'll make the same offer as Fingal for the event to be held in our new place (perhaps both events could feed each other).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Why not do a series of events ?
    With it being on maybe 2 or 3 different sites then maybe more people would show up to the next one because they won't get bored of the site ?

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Why not do a series of events ?
    With it being on maybe 2 or 3 different sites then maybe more people would show up to the next one because they won't get bored of the site ?

I've no issue with that, We've thought for a long time that a couple of well run sites pooling their resources to reach a common goal of a "national event" would create something great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Dave we have a site opening soon (very accessable) with all facilities and its both outdoor and indoor, the building is 1,200,000 sq ft and the outdoor area is slightly over an acre (or there abouts).

Would this suit?

Its located off the motorway and is accessable by public transport

I NEED EH.

(Just don't try to hold the take aim cup there, that seems to be the kiss of death for sites that try to do so in the general fingal (county council) area :-P)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

I am already organising an event to be held either in THE OFFICE BLOCK or their new site and with just a small bit of work have gotten commitment for approx 50 traveling from the South East.This will be a storyline driven skirmish with twists and turns aimed at including everyone and alienating nobody.This envolves players who normally play on 5 different sites and didn't take that much effort.

• Advertisement

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I NEED EH.

(Just don't try to hold the take aim cup there, that seems to be the kiss of death for sites that try to do so in the general fingal (county council) area :-P)

Dude I'll never even open a can of coke in Fingal's jurisdiction ever again man, fools!

Anyway sure what do you think, Adam said the new place had a lot more twists/turns/back alley avenues than the mall (and its like 5 times the size :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Harveey

I like the sound of it :D but if it was run on a few different sites, would they have the same limit's like as Bren said with Fingal he limited it at 70, would other sites take more on for their turn to host the event. Also say it was run 4 times a year on a different site each time, say one in spring, summer, autumn, winter. Just so it's not clustered it would give space between them giving time to get the next one set up and ready :D if we could get 4 sites to agree to this I think it would be good, as Damo said people would'nt get bored if they played a different site each time :p

I NEED EH.

Well opinions should just be kept to themselves about those topics i think .

Well opinions should just be kept to themselves about those topics i think .

Not at all man, a publically ran body should be publically scrutinized

I NEED EH.

I was refering to how gerrowadat says fingal county council, to me looks like the county council in brackets is sarcastic and he is actually reffering to something else , but thats just me I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

I was refering to how gerrowadat says fingal county council, to me looks like the county council in brackets is sarcastic and he is actually reffering to something else , but thats just me I could be wrong.

Funny enough I chose to take it as a joke dude. He and I had many jokes at the councils mis handling of the issue and he doesn't think what your thinking, I'm sure he didn't mean to imply it either.

Understood mate after looking at it again I realised what he meant by it :) Should of read through it twice before replying, will remember that in future so :D

se conman wrote: »
    I am already organising an event to be held either in THE OFFICE BLOCK or their new site and with just a small bit of work have gotten commitment for approx 50 traveling from the South East.This will be a storyline driven skirmish with twists and turns aimed at including everyone and alienating nobody.This envolves players who normally play on 5 different sites and didn't take that much effort.

We mite see can we turn this into a provincial game Keith, what do you think me ould flower?

As long as my team wins , I don't mind .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Understood mate after looking at it again I realised what he meant by it :) Should of read through it twice before replying, will remember that in future so :D

Leaving out the (county council) part would have looked worse, I reckon. We don't want to be going around implying things now, do we?

se conman wrote: »
    As long as my team wins , I don't mind .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better put your team on the Leinster squad so, oooohhhh :p

Leaving out the (county council) part would have looked worse, I reckon. We don't want to be going around implying things now, do we?

Of course i read it wrong and went with the first thought that came to mind rather than thinking about it :p i didnt mean any offence in my reply mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

South East will kick ass!!!!!

hellfireie wrote: »
    South East will kick ass!!!!!

ah now, lets be realistic man :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Firstly, Bren, I'll throw my name in the hat.

Secondly, here's what I believe an event like what has been discussed should be. Any site owners who like the idea, I am happy to help out with it :D Please bear in mind that this is a long post - I advise that you read it in its entirety to understand fully what I mean.

Event Weekend

First and foremost - the location for the event should be chosen based on a suitable mixture of idealism and realism; site should be visited to gain an insight as to what the site has to offer for the event.

Script:
    After visiting the site, you should have acquired the necessary data to establish just how many the site can support. You should also have a good idea as to how many sides/teams the site can support, which will also help shape the script. From here the real idealism takes over.

A full script should be drafted up with a solid back-story for each team/side, and for the event/conflict itself. Each team/side should have a clear motivation, with enough information to allow a good degree of immersion. This should be made publicly available for all to see, and should be distributed to all who sign up for the event. It is mandatory to have read it.

The plan for the event should then be written, with enough goals and objectives for all sides to keep play moving fluidly, but also to ensure a free-forming game. Each side should have differing objectives and goals specific to their motivation, once again to allow a greater degree of immersion. The event itself is organic, and has enough planning behind it to allow its growth, but also to allow a higher level of organisation.

Rules for the event should be drafted up for each team/side, and for the whole event. These too should be distributed and made available to all.

Promotion:
    With the location sorted, numbers sorted and script drafted up, then it is time to promote the event. People should be encouraged to sign up with an early-bird style ticket (cheaper the sooner you sign up). As it gets closer to the event, the price will rise. It is mandatory to pay upfront - no facility for paying on sight.

The back-story of the event, and of all teams should be made publicly available. When you sign up, you will select your side, and will be sent out the back-story of the event, and of your team, along with some basic starting point goals (which are only available to your team).

Advertising should be done wherever possible, and people should be made clearly aware of the rules etc of the event. A decent run up time is required - at least 3 or 4 months to allow solid advertising, but also for people to budget for the event, after all a weekend event is not exactly 'cheap'

Event Rules/Guidelines:
    The event will have specific rules for the different teams/sides. These rules will be akin to ammo limits and gear limits etc and exist in order to allow a higher degree of immersion. Since there will be a number of different sides, there are options for people which avoids exclusion based on personal bias etc.

On top of those rules, there will be event specific ones - things like no physical violence etc i.e. what your normal site rules are.

Then we have the event guidelines. The ideal event I am talking about would be a weekender event, starting on a Friday evening, and running until Sunday evening. The Friday would be sign in, making sure everyone's gear is firing under the legal limit, and have everyone organised into their teams. This evening will have little to no conflict - people will get to know who is on their teams, and perhaps gather some information, depending on the team's goals etc.

At some point the conflict will be triggered, and fighting will erupt between the sides. Here the fighting does not end until it ends. There are no scheduled 'nap breaks'. If your team are getting tired then try and set up camp, but you'd want to have sentries posted to watch your ass etc. This organic playing style allows people to sleep when necessary, but also to continue playing where possible.

Each side has goals, and will be provided with more goals as playing continues. The goals will be selected depending on how the event is unfolding, and should yield a fantastic playing experience.

By Sunday afternoon, the fighting will have ceased, and everyone will come together for an evening of light entertainment via BBQ/food and campfire shenanigans etc.

That is what I would like to say, that is what I would like to run, and that is what I would like to pay to participate in. If it tickles any site-owners fancy - feel free to PM me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭FingalAirsoft

thermo wrote: »
    I'll stick my name in too

Cheers Thermo;)
    BigGunner wrote: »
    I'm in mallow but if i can help no prob.

All welcome BigGunner
    Firekitten wrote: »
    As someone who's helped organise some bigish events (involved currently in Jimbina dawn) in the uk... I'll put down to help should you guys want it.

Your experience will add to it greatly:)
    sliabh wrote: »
    I am remote as well, but would be happy to help in anyway.
    Again I say the more the merrier, cheers Sliabh;)
    Troll :cool:.

Back in your box:rolleyes:
    Inari wrote: »
    Firstly, Bren, I'll throw my name in the hat.

Secondly, here's what I believe an event like what has been discussed should be. Any site owners who like the idea, I am happy to help out with it :D Please bear in mind that this is a long post - I advise that you read it in its entirety to understand fully what I mean.

Event Weekend

First and foremost - the location for the event should be chosen based on a suitable mixture of idealism and realism; site should be visited to gain an insight as to what the site has to offer for the event.

Script:
    After visiting the site, you should have acquired the necessary data to establish just how many the site can support. You should also have a good idea as to how many sides/teams the site can support, which will also help shape the script. From here the real idealism takes over.

A full script should be drafted up with a solid back-story for each team/side, and for the event/conflict itself. Each team/side should have a clear motivation, with enough information to allow a good degree of immersion. This should be made publicly available for all to see, and should be distributed to all who sign up for the event. It is mandatory to have read it.

The plan for the event should then be written, with enough goals and objectives for all sides to keep play moving fluidly, but also to ensure a free-forming game. Each side should have differing objectives and goals specific to their motivation, once again to allow a greater degree of immersion. The event itself is organic, and has enough planning behind it to allow its growth, but also to allow a higher level of organisation.

Rules for the event should be drafted up for each team/side, and for the whole event. These too should be distributed and made available to all.

Promotion:
    With the location sorted, numbers sorted and script drafted up, then it is time to promote the event. People should be encouraged to sign up with an early-bird style ticket (cheaper the sooner you sign up). As it gets closer to the event, the price will rise. It is mandatory to pay upfront - no facility for paying on sight.

The back-story of the event, and of all teams should be made publicly available. When you sign up, you will select your side, and will be sent out the back-story of the event, and of your team, along with some basic starting point goals (which are only available to your team).

Advertising should be done wherever possible, and people should be made clearly aware of the rules etc of the event. A decent run up time is required - at least 3 or 4 months to allow solid advertising, but also for people to budget for the event, after all a weekend event is not exactly 'cheap'

Event Rules/Guidelines:
    The event will have specific rules for the different teams/sides. These rules will be akin to ammo limits and gear limits etc and exist in order to allow a higher degree of immersion. Since there will be a number of different sides, there are options for people which avoids exclusion based on personal bias etc.

On top of those rules, there will be event specific ones - things like no physical violence etc i.e. what your normal site rules are.

Then we have the event guidelines. The ideal event I am talking about would be a weekender event, starting on a Friday evening, and running until Sunday evening. The Friday would be sign in, making sure everyone's gear is firing under the legal limit, and have everyone organised into their teams. This evening will have little to no conflict - people will get to know who is on their teams, and perhaps gather some information, depending on the team's goals etc.

At some point the conflict will be triggered, and fighting will erupt between the sides. Here the fighting does not end until it ends. There are no scheduled 'nap breaks'. If your team are getting tired then try and set up camp, but you'd want to have sentries posted to watch your ass etc. This organic playing style allows people to sleep when necessary, but also to continue playing where possible.

Each side has goals, and will be provided with more goals as playing continues. The goals will be selected depending on how the event is unfolding, and should yield a fantastic playing experience.

By Sunday afternoon, the fighting will have ceased, and everyone will come together for an evening of light entertainment via BBQ/food and campfire shenanigans etc.

That is what I would like to say, that is what I would like to run, and that is what I would like to pay to participate in. If it tickles any site-owners fancy - feel free to PM me

Excellent post Inari and thank you for adding your name to the hat;).

As stated the site limit for this event would be 70 people, lets get the building blocks for this event sorted first before we try and get a 200 or 300 player event straight of the bat.

And Brain has added he would like to hold something along the lines of what we're talking about, so as he is the second site owner to express an interest let him be next in line to host the event. As stated before this would be a boards.ie community event created/scripted by you guys and you guys will hold the rights to the game so you could bring it to any site!

I look forward to working with whom ever you guys choose to write and plan the event as I feel nothing but good can come from it, and I feel that this could truly grow into a spectacular event for the boards.ie community.

Bren:)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭tonymccann

hi guys

wexford airsoft club is only new here but we have been looking at this sort of an event and thinking of trying to get something organised i think its time for airsoft and airsofters in this contry to unite and perserve our sport and make it grow this sort of an event would do that and i dont know about any other retailers or site owners/operators but i sure would like to meet up with other site owners and get to know them better.

i have done the pyro course so maybe we could do somthing along those lines too

we have 78 acers of woodland and an 8 acre field down here and id say there are many other sites in the contry that have the same

so count me and wexford airsoft club in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭FingalAirsoft

tonymccann wrote: »
    hi guys

wexford airsoft club is only new here but we have been looking at this sort of an event and thinking of trying to get something organised i think its time for airsoft and airsofters in this contry to unite and perserve our sport and make it grow this sort of an event would do that and i dont know about any other retailers or site owners/operators but i sure would like to meet up with other site owners and get to know them better.

i have done the pyro course so maybe we could do somthing along those lines too

we have 78 acers of woodland and an 8 acre field down here and id say there are many other sites in the contry that have the same

so count me and wexford airsoft club in

Good man Tony;);)

Site owner number 3 :):) we have the makings of something good here people:)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭tonymccann

would we be able to get iaa to get off thier ass and work with us on this too?????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

BigGunner wrote: »
    Lets use this event as a "driving lesson" and if mistakes are made then changes can be made the next time a similar one is held.

People who wish to attend must first understand thats its going to be used as a test event and therefore the price per ticket needs to mirror this.

Lets try it and see.

Sorry for the late reply folks; it's late and I shall apologise in advance for being blunt as f*ck but I want to sleep soon, and this thread has descended into high noise:low signal territory since last I checked it a few hours ago.

Firstly, to keep to BigGunner's comments above, every event is used by the organisers to see what went well, what didn't, and how they can improve upon for next time. To call for some sort of guinea pig is to fail to consider what sort of criteria must be considered for any sort of re-occurring event - airsoft or otherwise.

Secondly, you don't need to run a "test" game; there are plenty of events (day or weekend) being run up and down the country on a not infrequent basis if anyone bothers to either attend or open their eyes. Travel to a variety of other events in other countries to see how things are done, etc. You don't need to play Dr. Frankenstein with players time, money, and enjoyment. Start small; that's what every other site/event organiser does, again that little nugget of wisdom is not the sole preserve of airsoft.

Calling for test games is complete b*llocks and a waste of organisers and players time. It is a waste of their money, and I dare say a waste of goodwill. All you are openly saying is that you don't trust your own organisation skills and why should anyone else give your event confidence if you can't even muster it yourself.

tonymccann wrote: »
    would we be able to get iaa to get off thier ass and work with us on this too?????

Why should the IAA be needed for this? And who are they working with here exactly? The people posting in this thread? They wont need to do much then .... because it'll all turn out to be a load of trousers and mouth.

If people really want to see an event (like every other event that gets run in Ireland/elsewhere), someone needs to basically turn around and act like a dictator. "Here's my idea, this is how I want to run it and here's a rudimentary idea of logistics, rules, and story if there is any", and then take it from there. The community by and large shouldn't have a say - or else the event will end up like the Euro Fighter; cost b*llocks load of money, under perform, and try to be a jack of all trades and end up being a master of none. It'll also probably look uncertain to ever see the light of day and if it does turn up ten years late. The community only need decide two things: "Does this event appeal to me?", and "can I afford it?"

Anything else is just a load of talk. And to quote; "talk is cheap".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Lemming wrote: »
    this thread has descended into high noise:low signal territory since last I checked it a few hours ago.

Oh yeah.
    Lemming wrote: »
    If people really want to see an event (like every other event that gets run in Ireland/elsewhere), someone needs to basically turn around and act like a dictator. Anything else is just a load of talk. And to quote; "talk is cheap".
    Agree (almost) totally. So I have contacted the other people who colunteered to see can we form a Junta to take control of this.

025.jpg?w=700&h=471

Watch this space...

I would make 1 request , that ye don't run too near April 16th as this is the date that our INVASION game takes place.(Have already done what Lemming suggested , decided what , when and where and as I said before , it doesn't take that much effort.)

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Nice IAA bashing going on there, need you be reminded there is a fresh committee in place with plenty of manpower and experience.

We are already planning our event in the new place and will announce the rules and regs soon enough. Also the three sites that have shown interest are not IAA affiliated so how could the IAA help anyway?

This will be a recurring event in the same place and will be our baby ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ricka

I'd certainly be up for some kind of sponsorship of the event, if wanted!
    I'm sure other retailers would like to get involved too

Advertisement