Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Event

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I understood it to be is a "national event" and as such involve the whole community and a venture of that sort would be profitable to all, the best possible thing for the community and sport and thus for the gamers themselves.
    Skipping to step 3 already ?? Anyway , trying to involve the "whole community" is usually where these things fail.
    The revenue generated by such a venture on a continuous basis for sites and retailers is also enormous, well worth a look-see and if that entails a little debate to get it going then sure what’s the harm?
    Here's that damn goose back again - wasnt it killed properly last time ?? and you wont make enormous revenue running airsoft events in Ireland - ask anyone running a site.
    Although I do agree with Keith there that small and large independent games and events should continue also ;) I can see the huge benefits of us collaborating as the possibilities of Irish airsoft rise tremendously due to the amount of backing, manpower and capital we can bring to bear.
    ah yes , bringing together more than 1 commercial interest - cause that always works out :rolleyes:. If ye want to run a large game then why not just do it , no need to share the profits , praise or blame with anyone else then.
    the IAA get involved? Yes, obviously.
    I agree with you here - but they shouldn't be used as free manpower , which happened in the past.

I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with, I just hope that you can learn from the mistakes of those that went before you.

Dont get me wrong , I really really love to see this happen.But by the same toke , I'd hate to see it really really go off the rails.For what its worth if i can help , I will help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

I thought no IAA member was to attend a non affiliated site?

No, Brian, not at all. Must be some misunderstanding somewhere, that is absolutely not, and was never, and should never be, the case.

It would be legally "unwise" in any case, if someone tried to promote any kind of rule to that effect, never mind how stupid, divisive and self-defeating it would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded

horgan_p wrote: »
    Skipping to step 3 already ?? Anyway , trying to involve the "whole community" is usually where these things fail.

I know sure I said that myself a few posts ago but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
    Here's that damn goose back again - wasnt it killed properly last time ?? and you wont make enormous revenue running airsoft events in Ireland - ask anyone running a site.

I know the events won't be hugely profitable but the knock on effects will be (return visits, word of mouth e.t.c) and just for the record I've ran a few sites and events of my own. Our first event (Corruption) took in over €7000 so if we can do that one our first try by ourselves I'm sure we can all make a lot if we work together.
    ah yes , bringing together more than 1 commercial interest - cause that always works out :rolleyes:. If ye want to run a large game then why not just do it , no need to share the profits , praise or blame with anyone else then.

If you come to a fair arrangement together, one that suits all and you don't try to do each other over then it could work (business colaborations happen all the time in all fields). The reason I would be willing to do so is because if we are trying to build something to rival Phoenix rising or berget (and soon) we will need all of us, I would like to think that we could convince irish airsofters to play in Ireland and try to entise some of the lads from abroad over here. A good reason I think!
    I agree with you here - but they shouldn't be used as free manpower , which happened in the past.

No I never said that, an advisory role. Also to help promote and organize the event in a way that they and we feel is appropriate and equitable.
    I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with, I just hope that you can learn from the mistakes of those that went before you.

Dont get me wrong , I really really love to see this happen.But by the same toke , I'd hate to see it really really go off the rails.For what its worth if i can help , I will help

Nice one, sure it can't fail because we will still be doing our own events, as will Bren, Keith and all other site owners/event organizers so at some point one of the events will grow big enough anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

I am coming into this party late and, having read all of the thread, I would just like to say (personally speaking):

I would love to see this event/mahoosive skirmish/brapfest, or whatever you like to call it, happen. It would be a brilliant feat if it can be pulled off.

Officially speaking: The IAA are here to serve the commmunity. Whether the site is affilliated or not, makes no difference. As Fayer said, as long as everything required to run an event of the size people are talking about, is in place then I can't see an issue in supporting and advertising it.

The big question is - What do people want from the IAA in relation to this event?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Tommyboy71 wrote: »
    The big question is - What do people want from the IAA in relation to this event?
    As an IAA member, and someone trying to get something off the ground, I know you guys are meant to be a representative body and not as some people seem to think an events organiser/agony aunt/go-for.

What would be nice is publicity (via your website and word of mouth) and advice/support if we run into problems or have questions we are struggling to solve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭TNTQ

ricka wrote: »
    I'd certainly be up for some kind of sponsorship of the event, if wanted!
    I'm sure other retailers would like to get involved too

+1

I'm sure most 'reasonable' retailers & site owners can put any differences aside for a day to promote the sport that is their livelihood.

And before the "people before profit brigade" wade into the thread, obviously commercial interests are commercially interested, and they would be doing promotion/sponsorship to their own ends, this much is obvious. But if the community and the retailers/site owners don't work together, then both will suffer in the long run.

From a small retailer point of view, envisage a future where the importation ban is enforced and there's only 2 large retailers left because airsoft hasn't grown up and become more of a viable business for smaller retailers and site owners throughout the country. Small site owners throughout the country are doing their very best to provide local airsofters somewhere legal to play the game. A large game (obviously when able) every few months could be the difference between them surviving or not.

What I would like to see is
    • A series of events in different sites
    • Perhaps monthly or bi-monthly
    • "Milsim Lite" games
    • An ongoing narrative
    • Results/Stories of which are chronicled in magazines such as Take Aim or Sitrep.
    The key to this (or anything like it) is COMMUNITY SUPPORT. Lots of airsofters throughout the country are happy at the minute going to the same site every weekend, playing with the same people. I'm not saying its wrong but I would find it boring as hell. I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world to make an effort every 2 months to go somewhere new to shoot new people.

<End rant>

Charlie

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Harveey

TNTQ wrote: »
    +1

I'm sure most 'reasonable' retailers & site owners can put any differences aside for a day to promote the sport that is their livelihood.

Agree totally, it would be good for everyone within the airsofting community.
    • A series of events in different sites
    • Perhaps monthly or bi-monthly
    • "Milsim Lite" games
    • An ongoing narrative
    • Results/Stories of which are chronicled in magazines such as Take Aim or Sitrep.

+1 Great idea, would be good to play different sites around the country on one continuos storyline, each different from the last with stories and gameplays worked into each individual site. Maybe spread out every two or 3 months possibly?:D

Harveey wrote: »
    +1 Great idea, would be good to play different sites around the country on one continuos storyline, each different from the last with stories and gameplays worked into each individual site. Maybe spread out every two or 3 months possibly?:D

It's not a new idea mate, i couldn't/wouldn't claim it.

The trick is - how do you wrench guys from their comfort zone and get them to travel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

sliabh wrote: »
    As an IAA member, and someone trying to get something off the ground, I know you guys are meant to be a representative body and not as some people seem to think an events organiser/agony aunt/go-for.

What would be nice is publicity (via your website and word of mouth) and advice/support if we run into problems or have questions we are struggling to solve.

That we can most certainly do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The trick is - how do you wrench guys from their comfort zone and get them to travel?
    That's where a national organising body would play their part imo.

Have a national league where all teams are included and events held in various sites throughout the year contribute to an overall national standing.

Categorise it for different types of events maybe where teams could choose to enter milsim / general skirmish / whatever leagues and have a big party at the end of the year with trophies.

It works for most other sports, why not Airsoft?

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    That's where a national organising body would play their part imo.

Have a national league where all teams are included and events held in various sites throughout the year contribute to an overall national standing.

Categorise it for different types of events maybe where teams could choose to enter milsim / general skirmish / whatever leagues and have a big party at the end of the year with trophies.

It works for most other sports, why not Airsoft?

The idea of a national league was muted before but i think that team vrs team competition is a recipe for disaster when it comes to airsoft. Just my opinion, but i dont think we're ready/mature enough for that here yet.

I think something with a general story like

"Greens Vrs Tans" - this month the greens kicked the tans arses down at the asylum in wexford. C'mon greens - get to the next event at Redbarn next month.

General idea, but it means that people can dip their toes in and walk away if its not their cup of tea without leaving teams involved, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The idea of a national league was muted before but i think that team vrs team competition is a recipe for disaster when it comes to airsoft. Just my opinion, but i dont think we're ready/mature enough for that here yet.

"Greens Vrs Tans" - this month the greens kicked the tans arses down at the asylum in wexford. C'mon greens - get to the next event at Redbarn next month.
    Not quite what I was thinking but similar. As most people here know, I'm not an Airsofter but I'm involved in another sport and have participated in national and international events - what's being said is true, it's all going to hinge on the organisation of the events and consistency / continuity between them.
    General idea, but it means that people can dip their toes in and walk away if its not their cup of tea without leaving teams involved, etc.
    Well the idea would be that if you are putting a team together then you pay an entry fee (covers cost of prizes and organisation) so only those that are serious about it would go forward. If it's not your 'cup of tea' then you would have found that out by attending local events.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭cobra 08

I would definatly like to see this sort of event on this side of the pond. I myself am traveling to Senny in April for the T.A. events and to see an event like Senny (doesnt have to be the same) a large gathering of lads shooting it out for 24hrs would be brill but as TNTQ says I wouldn't like to see it go towards the league or any competitive way as I think this would bring the event to an early death as Airsoft is too easy for players to decide not to take their hit because they want to be crowned the best team. just my opinion;)

Well the idea would be that if you are putting a team together then you pay an entry fee (covers cost of prizes and organisation) so only those that are serious about it would go forward. If it's not your 'cup of tea' then you would have found that out by attending local events.

What I mean by 'not their cup of tea' is that they may go to a 'Milsim Lite' scenario based game with people they don't know and just want to go back to their local site and throw 3000 rounds at their cousin.

I think that a central website (if anyone's interested in making one), a more simplified version of the excellent TA events login, payment, team choose, etc. would be critical to make this work.

When I say teams, I maybe mean 2 broad teams (Green & Tan) made up of approx 45% of those that turn up and then maybe a 10% (Black) team if the size of the site permits. The local/resident team as an OPFOR. Something like that.

I don't know enough about the ins and outs of Airsoft to offer a meaningful reply so I'll go back to objective lurking.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gray

I think the idea of signing up as "teams" would put off a lot of people off as most people are not in teams, TA events had 350 people signed up for Copehill on the basis of which faction they wanted to play for. Far simpler to let people chose which events they want to go to & which side they want to play on.

If you have a back story with different scenarios based on the sites that agree to participate in an ongoing game it would encourage people to sign up for the next instalment.

Anything like this would really need to be pre booked with deposits to ensure enough players & if there is not enough interest be prepared to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gray

I don't know enough about the ins and outs of Airsoft to offer a meaningful reply so I'll go back to objective lurking.. :)
    Excellent quality for a sniper maybe you should give it a try;)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

We've been doing some kicking around of ideas off-forum, and think that we can pull off a two-day story-based light-milsim game (I mean "light-milsim" to mean a similar depth of rules to TA Events' BattleSim games, but BattleSim is a TA Events brand identity and they don't really want others using the term and I very much respect that). We'd have multiple units to cater to different play styles and interests, but all as part of the one game.

However, this'd require a big site - really big. So we'd like to hear from people operating a big site who'd be interested in closing it off to normal business for a weekend to have something like this happen. There'll be a combination of facilities available and accessibility to consider when choosing one, but first we'll need to know if there is in fact one available. So, some of the stuff we'd like to know is:

How big is your site? (I work better in length-by-breadth than in hectares, but both is handy to know)

What kinds of game-related stuff do you have there? Different types of terrain, buildings, props like anti-aircraft guns, trenches, firebases?

What's your access to power, running water, toilets, cooking facilities like? Is there anything you can do to provide facilities that are lacking?

Is camping permitted? We'd be looking at both in-game, safe zone and in-game except during specific hours camping happening.

Can you provide marshals for the likes of chronoing, safety, general site rules and admin stuff?

What's accessibility to the site like? Time of drive from major population centres, access by public transport?

Would your insurance cover this?

Do you have a map of the site, or can you have one made?

What's cellphone coverage like on the site?

Things you wouldn't have to worry about, because we'd be covering it, include:

Event publicity and advertising
    Player and faction management, sign-ups
    The game scenario
    The game rules, briefings, management, and story marshals
    Actors and OpFor to fill story-based roles

Here's hoping we can get this off the ground! It's a little ambitious but not at all unrealistic, and could be mountains of fun.

@ Shane

I commend you mate for being positive mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Is this event about gathering mass numbers or running a MilSim campaign so to speak?

I would say run the first one with limited restrictions, let the trigger happy use their hi caps and so on. Then, once it kicks off and the fish start to bite, reel it in with restrictions. That way, everyone gets to atleast try it out before committing to it.

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Is this event about gathering mass numbers or running a MilSim campaign so to speak?

I would say run the first one with limited restrictions, let the trigger happy use their hi caps and so on. Then, once it kicks off and the fish start to bite, reel it in with restrictions. That way, everyone gets to atleast try it out before committing to it.
    The idea that we are booting around offline is as follows:

What: A multi day, story driven event for 50-100 people.

Why: To develop the airsoft scene in Ireland by offering players from all around the country a chance to meet new people, and play in a bigger event without having to travel abroad.

How: A continuous (36-48 hour) game, which has ammo limits, simplified medic rules, and pre-assigned teams.

The focus and idea is to keep things simple (so ammo limits, but not necessarily a requirement for mid caps), and if it is a success then so slowly build on it. It won't be Berget, or Sennybridge, or the Gathering, but it will be something that isn't on offer in Ireland today, and which we think players are asking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sounding like something to get EXCITED for

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

While input is "good" I would like to see people let the lads get on with writing script/scenario without tying their time up with hi-cap/mid-cap , what rule for this , what rule for that , hold it here , hold it there sort of requests.The lads know what they are doing and what they want this event to do and because they have stood up to the plate we should trust their judgement and be grateful for whatever they give us.IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭The_ChiefDUB

This is great news - well done everyone who has stepped up to this challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

se conman wrote: »
    While input is "good"

Surely if this is to b a national event to suit all players, input is exactly what is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

I said input is good (intending just a small bit of sarcasm) but as i also said "the lads know what they want this event to do"The small bit of sarcasm is aimed at the fact that we normally get bogged down and spend too much time nit-picking on trivial facts.Also this is just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Stone.cold wrote: »
    Surely if this is to b a national event to suit all players, input is exactly what is needed

It will never suit everyone, and I believe it is a very good point from SeConman - suggestions and input is great, however too much causes disillusionment, and it is far better to just get on with it...let bygones be bygones

Suggestions and input we will take. But we reserve the right to reject any/all of them (and take the flak if things subsequently fall apart).

I did say we were a Junta and not a democracy didn't I? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

sliabh wrote: »
    Suggestions and input we will take. But we reserve the right to reject any/all of them

best of luck pulling this off successfully then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Stone.cold wrote: »
    best of luck pulling this off successfully then

Thanks, we'll do our best ;)

Advertisement