Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Event

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

thermo wrote: »
    Thanks, we'll do our best ;)

i have no doubt u will, i look forward to seeing the feedback from it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Sean and Ronan had a similar concept for their Rules Of Engagement series last year. It might be worthwhile asking them why it didn't take off like they hoped.

Also, if you're going to allow under 18's to attend, you need to have your child protection, changing/toilet facilities & supervised camping stuff sorted out. That's the law, it's not optional, and that's the reason the organiser has to think about age limits.

The game scenario is the easy bit. There's a lot more that needs to be done. For instance, what's the driving time to the nearest hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

OzCam wrote: »
    Also, if you're going to allow under 18's to attend, you need to have your child protection, changing/toilet facilities & supervised camping stuff sorted out. That's the law, it's not optional, and that's the reason the organiser has to think about age limits.

I'd love to allow under-18s in, but it adds a huge amount of overhead considerations that personally I'm just not willing to invest the time in. If there were someone on the team who knew this stuff and could look after it in consultation with the rest of the team, I'd be all in favour of it.

Can you see what I'm asking here, or do you want me to come right out and beg? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭FingalAirsoft

We've been doing some kicking around of ideas off-forum, and think that we can pull off a two-day story-based light-milsim game (I mean "light-milsim" to mean a similar depth of rules to TA Events' BattleSim games, but BattleSim is a TA Events brand identity and they don't really want others using the term and I very much respect that). We'd have multiple units to cater to different play styles and interests, but all as part of the one game.

However, this'd require a big site - really big. So we'd like to hear from people operating a big site who'd be interested in closing it off to normal business for a weekend to have something like this happen. There'll be a combination of facilities available and accessibility to consider when choosing one, but first we'll need to know if there is in fact one available. So, some of the stuff we'd like to know is:

How big is your site? (I work better in length-by-breadth than in hectares, but both is handy to know)

What kinds of game-related stuff do you have there? Different types of terrain, buildings, props like anti-aircraft guns, trenches, firebases?

What's your access to power, running water, toilets, cooking facilities like? Is there anything you can do to provide facilities that are lacking?

Is camping permitted? We'd be looking at both in-game, safe zone and in-game except during specific hours camping happening.

Can you provide marshals for the likes of chronoing, safety, general site rules and admin stuff?

What's accessibility to the site like? Time of drive from major population centres, access by public transport?

Would your insurance cover this?

Do you have a map of the site, or can you have one made?

What's cellphone coverage like on the site?

Things you wouldn't have to worry about, because we'd be covering it, include:

Event publicity and advertising
    Player and faction management, sign-ups
    The game scenario
    The game rules, briefings, management, and story marshals
    Actors and OpFor to fill story-based roles

Here's hoping we can get this off the ground! It's a little ambitious but not at all unrealistic, and could be mountains of fun.

So how big is a really big site Shane?

So how big is a really big site Shane?

I don't really know, but I'd say a kilometre on each side would be good. Lots of space for units to lose themselves in.

Sorry if this seems ungrateful, I really appreciate that you stepped up and offered your site, not to mention actually spurred people into action rather than just talk. As things developed though it became apparent that everybody's got a different idea of a national event, and rather than trying to cater to everyone we started down the road of a physically large-scale thing for this project. There's still room for all kinds of other events as well, of course, and this shouldn't be taken as an 'instead-of' an event at Fingal. The question there is what kind of thing to run and who to aim it at.

• Advertisement

I don't really know, but I'd say a kilometre on each side would be good. Lots of space for units to lose themselves in.

Based on that I'd say you'd be looking for a site of roughly 220 acres.

Sorry if this seems ungrateful, I really appreciate that you stepped up and offered your site, not to mention actually spurred people into action rather than just talk. As things developed though it became apparent that everybody's got a different idea of a national event, and rather than trying to cater to everyone we started down the road of a physically large-scale thing for this project. There's still room for all kinds of other events as well, of course, and this shouldn't be taken as an 'instead-of' an event at Fingal. The question there is what kind of thing to run and who to aim it at.

No not at all if you guys think you can pull this off, then I wish you all the best.;)

As for events at Fingal... sure I have most of my events already planned for the year:), and we will try and host a full 24hr battle if the numbers are right;)

Bren:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

To give a sense of scale; Berget 6 & 7 (not sure about 8) were - I believe - held across a game-zone somewhere around 5km by 5km, possibly a bit bigger again.

Lemming wrote: »
    To give a sense of scale; Berget 6 & 7 (not sure about 8) were - I believe - held across a game-zone somewhere around 5km by 5km, possibly a bit bigger again.

Yeah, 8 was similar, and it was a long bloody way. The thing I have to remind myself of, of course, is that 5x5 isn't 5 times bigger than 1x1, it's 25 times bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

I'd love to allow under-18s in, but it adds a huge amount of overhead considerations that personally I'm just not willing to invest the time in. If there were someone on the team who knew this stuff and could look after it in consultation with the rest of the team, I'd be all in favour of it.

Can you see what I'm asking here, or do you want me to come right out and beg? :)

I do see what you're asking :) Unfortunately it's not a matter of willingness to help, it's a matter of training & paperwork. AFAIK, there's only one or two, maybe three, sites who have qualified staff. It might be possible to get those staff members to help, if the participating site(s) agree?

For size reference, it might be useful to compare Celieni Village (better, though incorrectly, known as Sennybridge). It's about 500 x 300 metres. If my maths are right, 150,000 sq m, 15 hectares or 37 acres and it's rated for 200 players. That's a slight overestimate, but you get the idea.

HRTA3 is about 235x115m (27,000 sq m), Red Barn is about 215x120m (26,000 sq m, excluding the open field).

The game area for Berget 7 was 4.2km by 2 and a bit, as near as makes no difference to 10 sq km, or 1000ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭TerrenceAnth

Really a fantastic idea guys! You need to get a site for it first but after that if there is anything you need help with let it be known! Im sure everyone here would lend a hand to get this thing going! :D

• Advertisement

OzCam wrote: »
    I do see what you're asking :) Unfortunately it's not a matter of willingness to help, it's a matter of training & paperwork. AFAIK, there's only one or two, maybe three, sites who have qualified staff. It might be possible to get those staff members to help, if the participating site(s) agree?

For size reference, it might be useful to compare Celieni Village (better, though incorrectly, known as Sennybridge). It's about 500 x 300 metres. If my maths are right, 150,000 sq m, 15 hectares or 37 acres and it's rated for 200 players. That's a slight overestimate, but you get the idea.

HRTA3 is about 235x115m (27,000 sq m), Red Barn is about 215x120m (26,000 sq m, excluding the open field).

The game area for Berget 7 was 4.2km by 2 and a bit, as near as makes no difference to 10 sq km, or 1000ha.

Red Barn is 22,796 sq m
    playable area excluding the safe zone, second courtyard and the field
    or 5.582 acres playable area excluding the safe zone, second courtyard and the field.

If someone would like to post a pic of HRTA and mark the boundary, car park and safe zone I could give you accurate measurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

A question for everyone. If we are talking about a 2 day milsim-(very)-light, what sort of things would people like to see in the game considering it will be story driven, and will run for about 2 days.

And here I don't want a shopping list of "helicopter drop offs", "pyros", "real-APCs", "realistic CQB villages" etc.

What I mean is what types of gameplay, unit organisation, missions, would you like to see in a continuous game?

For those who have travelled to the big events abroad, what did you like or what worked well and you think we could do here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded

The event that Keith (se Conman) has organised looks to have over 100 people attending (including the people who have called me about it), they all respresent most counties in Ireland and every province for sure. We have people coming from; Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Galway, Wicklow, Waterford, Belfast, Derry, Kildare, Meath, Donegal e.t.c. Would that fact alone not make it a national event?

We are using two buildings and a good bit of outdoor yard (somewhere over an acre), this is the most urban environment on offer in this country and has multiple floors in both buildings. The game will go from Saturday morning to Sunday evening and is story based depening on where your from. Not sure on ammo limits but for more info on the event check it out; http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056177755

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded

-
    We've been doing some kicking around of ideas off-forum, and think that we can pull off a two-day story-based light-milsim game (I mean "light-milsim" to mean a similar depth of rules to TA Events' BattleSim games, but BattleSim is a TA Events brand identity and they don't really want others using the term and I very much respect that). We'd have multiple units to cater to different play styles and interests, but all as part of the one game.

However, this'd require a big site - really big. So we'd like to hear from people operating a big site who'd be interested in closing it off to normal business for a weekend to have something like this happen. There'll be a combination of facilities available and accessibility to consider when choosing one, but first we'll need to know if there is in fact one available. So, some of the stuff we'd like to know is:

How big is your site? (I work better in length-by-breadth than in hectares, but both is handy to know) 1.2 million sq ft and around 2 - 3 acres of outdoor, (our new place)

What kinds of game-related stuff do you have there? Different types of terrain, buildings, props like anti-aircraft guns, trenches, firebases? A huge building serperated by long corridors, warehouses, offices and theres the option of going outdoor.

What's your access to power, running water, toilets, cooking facilities like? Is there anything you can do to provide facilities that are lacking? All of the above.

Is camping permitted? We'd be looking at both in-game, safe zone and in-game except during specific hours camping happening. Thats possible.

Can you provide marshals for the likes of chronoing, safety, general site rules and admin stuff? Yup.

What's accessibility to the site like? Time of drive from major population centres, access by public transport? A very short drive from Dublin city centre and a bus that starts in town leaves you right outside the door.

Would your insurance cover this? Yes I think but if not we can get it ammended for the event itself, I'm pretty sure it would though.

Do you have a map of the site, or can you have one made? We can make one.

What's cellphone coverage like on the site? Perfect.

Things you wouldn't have to worry about, because we'd be covering it, include:

Event publicity and advertising We'd do a bit of that ourselves too
    Player and faction management, sign-ups We'd also jump in there.
    The game scenario Give you a hand there too if you need it.
    The game rules, briefings, management, and story marshals We have over 10 fully trained marshalls.
    Actors and OpFor to fill story-based roles COOL

Here's hoping we can get this off the ground! It's a little ambitious but not at all unrealistic, and could be mountains of fun.
    -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 sniper on duty

Blay wrote: »
    I would assume the reason for that is if TA are running it then you'll attract people that a bit more committed to the rules of the scenario rather than the usual rigmarole organisers here go through with people not reading the rules before the game, no knowing about ammo limits, moaning that they've no midcaps/wanting to use hicaps etc etc. I don't think people would be inclined to turn up half assed to the TA event compared to a standard milsim here.

we just need to get better at orginising stuff like this in this country,
    it's the irish way, not to listen to marshals etc..i know that i only have high caps as im still new to airsoft, but remember airsoft is still relativly new in this country, i beleive it will get better. if marshals/stewards were payed better they would do a better job ie: for big events like these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 sniper on duty

BigGunner wrote: »
    lads i started this thread and asked a question.

Ok i should have call it another name.

You cares what its called. Lets just get on with it and if it fails it fails if its great its great.

milsim or skirmish?? At the end of the day its AIRSOFT.

If people don't want to go stay at home. Simple.

absolutly agree to this statement, im new to airsoft and am happy to go out shooting weather its millsim or just a skirmish, i just love AIRSOFT as a sport no matter how its played, as long as i get to spread some plastic.

The event that Keith (se Conman) has organised looks to have over 100 people attending (including the people who have called me about it), they all respresent most counties in Ireland and every province for sure. We have people coming from; Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Galway, Wicklow, Waterford, Belfast, Derry, Kildare, Meath, Donegal e.t.c. Would that fact alone not make it a national event?

To (mis)quote Douglas Adams, if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then lets just call it a duck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Not sure if its still open for discussion (fingal airsoft offer) but jus reading this now and I would throw my hat into this.

One question though...I am presuming that the event would be held before Mid June?

I have a decent imagination so could be interesting :P

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

I really don't see why a large game can't be done in fingal and not label it the National event. Then plans can continue for a national event.

Personally I see Fingal as a site that really comes into it's own in night play, so basing a game that times to reflect that would be best. Perhaps from say 4am going on until 12pm. That way you get a period of light into dark and back into light again. Really appeals to me anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Hey guys, how is this coming along, i'd gladly travel anywhere in the country for anything milsim(ish).. and i'd offer my help with anything, but seeing as i'm new to airsoft there's probably not much i could do, except show up :D

Shane

• Advertisement

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Hey guys, how is this coming along, i'd gladly travel anywhere in the country for anything milsim(ish).. and i'd offer my help with anything, but seeing as i'm new to airsoft there's probably not much i could do, except show up :D

Shane
    Shane_ef wrote: »
    Hey guys, how is this coming along, i'd gladly travel anywhere in the country for anything milsim(ish).. and i'd offer my help with anything, but seeing as i'm new to airsoft there's probably not much i could do, except show up

Shane
    A quick update from Shane, myself and the others.

We have been concentrating on identifying a site for the moment. We have one very good candidate, and two potentials. I would say we should be able to decide on that within a few days.

In terms of time, considering the other events on around Ireland and abroad, and leaving time to get things ready, we are looking at early June for the gig.

If we can get the two things above agreed our next step will be to confirm some big questions like will it be possbile to allow Under-18s, how do we handle pre-booking, payment and so on. And what external premissions/arrangements would need to be found. With all that out of the way, we could make a formal announcement, and then we get into the nitty gritty of planning for health and safety, marshals, etc. Oh, and somewhere along the line we will look at story, factions and some stuff actually related to playing airsoft :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭G.I Joseph

Anything more on this lads? Or has it been scrapped?

Definitely not scrapped. We are getting close to being able to make an announcement...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BigGunner

This is happening. A group of us are working off forum to get this organized. Sliabh or Shane will make the announcement soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Hey lads , any chance of posting a date for this ASAP so that we can start planning what looks like a very busy summer ? (don't want my holidays to clash)

Yeah, okay. We're figuring the last details of insurance so until that's solid we can't really guarantee it's 100% on, but there's unlikely to be a problem and hopefully we'll know very early next week.

The dates are the 18th and 19th of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah, okay. We're figuring the last details of insurance so until that's solid we can't really guarantee it's 100% on, but there's unlikely to be a problem and hopefully we'll know very early next week.

Fingers crossed, if its anything like your milsims it will be full blown immense

Just to give a heads up, if you are planning to travel to this event you should check with the Embassy of the Republic of Rionegro as to whether or not you will need a visa to enter the country.

That's for those planning to enter Rionegro legally of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

Dates are in the diary already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

I suppose i'll do my leaving cert next year instead then :( .........

Advertisement