Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy or Nokia C7/N8

Options
  • 29-01-2011 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Due an upgrade on my phone and like my gadgets. Am on Meteor. As usual the staff in the Meteor shop near me are less than helpful. CPW suggested these 3 phones, Galaxy for €99 and the other two for €149 - and I'd get €80 for my old handset Nokia 5800.

Are any of these handsets worth considering or should I hang on a few months and see what else comes out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

If you mean Galaxy S, its better if you are prepared to mod it
    The N8 has some cool HW features (which you may never use, cept the camera), but an awful OS, which you will have to use every day
    The C7 is the same as the N8, but w/out the massive camera advantage and the HDMI-out (only 720P anyway)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

The N8 has some cool HW features (which you may never use, cept the camera), but an awful OS, which you will have to use every day
    About a billion people use that OS every day without too much difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

My girlfriend bought the c7 today, wouldnt connect to internet, rang o2 very helpful and sorted it out quickly. Then the phone froze, and now will not turn back on. no more than 2 hours out of the box. Having read online this is a widespread problem with these two nokia models, with the finger being pointed at cheap production process and materials. I have nothing against Nokia, i was a disciple for manys a long year, just an iphone follower now. We will be back to CW as soon as it opens to hopefully switch to a Galaxy S if we can under the appropriate cooling off period etc. To say the two of us are disgusted is an understatement. I just hope some clause or other allows her to switch as i the thought of spending good money on a phone and having to send it off for repair 24hours later is sickening. Sorry if i had threadcrashed but i just felt given what we have spent the last 3 hours doing it was a tale worth sharing before you part with any of your hard earned corn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

That's useful to know. I hadn't had a Nokia for years til this last one. Best thing about it is Ovi Maps ;)

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    About a billion people use that OS every day without too much difficulty.

link? ;)

• Advertisement

Smartphone_share_current.png

Smartphone_share_current.png

There are not 3 Billion smartphone users (on this planet)

Like most people, I find nitpicking pedantry entertaining. Great correction dude.

Having read online this is a widespread problem with these two nokia models
    Where did you read this?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Where did you read this?

Well just searching turned up plenty of articles, threads on the nokia official forums, this seems pretty comprehensive too here.

i havent done anything overly scientific, i just know i have a phone in my house that was bought 8 hours ago, and now does not work, with symptoms common to seemingly many others around the world. im no smartphone expert but i know this is not a good ad for their product

• Advertisement

I'm always wary when someone tells me they Googled something and there was lots of matches as if this is "evidence" though. Phones that are probably selling by the hundreds of thousands per month will generate quite a few webpages with even a very low percentage failure rate.
    Unfortunately it's not as if Nokia are going to advertise the failure rate...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

My girlfriend bought the c7 today, wouldnt connect to internet, rang o2 very helpful and sorted it out quickly. Then the phone froze, and now will not turn back on. no more than 2 hours out of the box. Having read online this is a widespread problem with these two nokia models, with the finger being pointed at cheap production process and materials. I have nothing against Nokia, i was a disciple for manys a long year, just an iphone follower now. We will be back to CW as soon as it opens to hopefully switch to a Galaxy S if we can under the appropriate cooling off period etc. To say the two of us are disgusted is an understatement. I just hope some clause or other allows her to switch as i the thought of spending good money on a phone and having to send it off for repair 24hours later is sickening. Sorry if i had threadcrashed but i just felt given what we have spent the last 3 hours doing it was a tale worth sharing before you part with any of your hard earned corn

Make sure you update the Galaxy S to version 2.2.1 if you do get it. It was very slow before this update (it starts off ok, but gradually got worse).

I'm always wary when someone tells me they Googled something and there was lots of matches as if this is "evidence" though. Phones that are probably selling by the hundreds of thousands per month will generate quite a few webpages with even a very low percentage failure rate.
    Unfortunately it's not as if Nokia are going to advertise the failure rate...

failure rate might SEEM like 1 in 3 or so but that is more due to the fact that you don't have as many people saying their phone has no HW issues while those who do will usually moan on forums (understandably)

Galaxy S looks like the favourite on here...not having had a Samsung before..is it difficult to work with? In the past I have had some Motorolas, Sony Erricsson, and then the Nokia 5800 lately

athtrasna wrote: »
    Galaxy S looks like the favourite on here...not having had a Samsung before..is it difficult to work with? In the past I have had some Motorolas, Sony Erricsson, and then the Nokia 5800 lately

Android is much simpler to use than Symbain (Nokia 5800), but when you buy it, do update it to 2.2.1 (Google it)

The Galaxy S and N8/C7 certainly do both seem like the standard at this grade of phone for those who don't like the fruit company's walled garden so much.
    If I ever get sick of my N97 mini I'll certainly have to have a long hard think about this...
    BTW, I think it's a bit weird how many people say they hated the N97 so are now getting a... phone with no keyboard? Doesn't seem like the same deal at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

DO NOT get the Galaxy S. Find out how much a HTC Desire is, and then decide between that and the Nokias.

Everyone I know with a Galaxy S (six people, but it's everyone from that 6) has had the phone get slower and slower and slower as they've used it. The fault is a bad design decision by Samsung, which they haven't bothered to fix, despite the phone being on-market for over a year.

Yes, there are hacks to undo their boneheadedness, but you then lose your warranty.

(As for the stories of N8/C7 power failures, that article was written by Eldar Murtazin, a guy with a serious grudge against Nokia, following a failed business tie-up). Any phone that doesn't work should go straight back to where you bought it, for replacement, and don't take any bull from the store staff. One from a sample of one doesn't mean that 100% of all phones will be faulty, though.

Thought it was weird that they weren't pushing the HTC alright. Does the Desire have the same crappy resolution issues that the Wildfire does? A friend has the Wildfire and I couldn't believe how crap the screen res was.

Meteor on Twitter were recommending the Omnia but the guy in the shop was dead against it.

KrisW wrote: »
    (As for the stories of N8/C7 power failures, that article was written by Eldar Murtazin, a guy with a serious grudge against Nokia, following a failed business tie-up).
    There's so much of that crap on the web. "reviews" written by Apple fanboys are the absolute worst... "it does everything better than the iPhone but isn't as good as the iPhone" :rolleyes:

athtrasna wrote: »
    Thought it was weird that they weren't pushing the HTC alright. Does the Desire have the same crappy resolution issues that the Wildfire does? A friend has the Wildfire and I couldn't believe how crap the screen res was.
    Desire has 800x480 Res while Wildfire has 320x240
    massive difference!
    Meteor on Twitter were recommending the Omnia but the guy in the shop was dead against it.
    and you'd listen to them.. why?

• Advertisement

Good point! Decided not to rush into it..will sort later in the week. Desire now in the running...more research to do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

check out the link in the thread ive just started good comparison on galaxy vs desire http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056164436

I'd take Galaxy S over the Desire anyday - only as Galaxy S has enough dev support to fix Samsungs lacks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭pah

The Galaxy S and N8/C7 certainly do both seem like the standard at this grade of phone for those who don't like the fruit company's walled garden so much.
    If I ever get sick of my N97 mini I'll certainly have to have a long hard think about this...
    BTW, I think it's a bit weird how many people say they hated the N97 so are now getting a... phone with no keyboard? Doesn't seem like the same deal at all!

Got rid of my N97 for an iphone4 last Sept, best phone move I ever made tbh.

I used an iphone and a HTC Desire properly for a couple of hours & I realised how they were leagues ahead of the nokia. The Symbian S60 OS is clunky, slow and well out of date, the range of Apps is pitiful in comparison to Appstore or Android Market. the capacitave touchscreen of the iphone is superior to the resistive screen on the N97.

It wasn't until I changed over that I realised how bad the Nokia was. It had a lot of good features, qwerty keyboard, FM transmitter 5MP camera massive storage but the UI of IOS just beat it hands down. I could never go back to a nokia running symbian now - what is Nokias plan for its smartphone OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I'd take Galaxy S over the Desire anyday - only as Galaxy S has enough dev support to fix Samsungs lacks
    I know what your saying, but should you really need the services of independent, unpaid hackers just to make your phone work correctly? What happens when these guys get jobs that prevent them from making these images?

The Desire works adequetly well out of the box, and doesn't need hacks to keep going. Modding phones puts you in a very small minority of users.

Imagine you don't have access to re-flashing tools, and don't know what a kernel is. Now, which model will you choose?
    I could never go back to a nokia running symbian now - what is Nokias plan for its smartphone OS?
    The new Symbian^3 models (C7,C6-01 and N8) are leagues ahead of the old N97 - there really is no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Are they discontinuing Symbian or not? What about this Meego thing? Don't buy Nokia you are wasting your time. Now they want to hook up with Microsoft as well :confused:

Why not wait until Friday, and see what they actually announce, and then make a decision?

My opinion, which has as much weight as yours (i.e., none):
    - "OVI" brand canned, successful services re-branded as Nokia, unsuccessful ones replaced by offerings from market leaders.
    - Phone range thinned. C/E/N series merged, fewer tiers. Low-end farmed out.
    - Resources provided to fully support Qt on WindowsPhone 7 in exchange for better enterprise/Exchange support from MS.
    - No Android, No WP7. Platforms will remain Qt on Symbian and Qt on MeeGo
    - Deals with Google for better service integration hooks (similar to how Apple pay for access to YouTube video streams without flash and ads).
    - Lots of heads rolling in senior management; company restructured; many redundancies, especially in the services department (Ovi).

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

It's certainly going to be interesting.

If nokia can get somewhere between Android and iOS, they might be able to do something. But they need to have a functioning, vibrant and large app store/Market/shop/suite from day one. Qt/Meego can't deliver that,yet, nor can WP7 to the same extend as Android.

Nokia may be able to breathe new life into WP7, with killer enterprise functions, powered by Microsoft. Maybe together MS and Nokia can move into BB territory, Meego could be used to compete against feature phones, building apps and follwers that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

I'm also due upgrade now - (vodaphone billpay with IFA discount) - thinking of going Samsung Galaxy S - any good offers going at present? Are same deals in Vodaphone stores and in CW'hse stores?

Advertisement