Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy or Nokia C7/N8

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Nokia should write an SDK that compiles Android source to S^3. App store solved.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Nokia should write an SDK that compiles Android source to S^3. App store solved.:)

someone doesnt understand programming languages and/or OS differences :p
    there is a project for MeeGo tho, probably never see it for Symbain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

someone doesnt understand programming languages and/or OS differences :p
    there is a project for MeeGo tho, probably never see it for Symbain
    Yeah, I know about Qt etc, but if Nokia at least made porting as easy as possible a few devs might make an effort and do a Symbian port of their apps.
    Couldn't hurt, and Nokia have about 100,000 programmers doing next to nothing it seems so why not?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

The architectural differences between Android and the other platforms are too great to allow a simple port between Android and other platforms. Android is Java only, everyone else is either C/C++ only, or allows C/C++ code to be run.

This is the reason why a Qt port to Android is unfeasible too: to do this, you'd have to first re-write large parts of Qt in Java to interface with the Android OS, but this would then either require that any Qt/Android application is also written in Java, and thus incompatible with other Qt platforms, or be written in C/C++ (with a truly horrendous JNI bridge in between), which Android does not allow.

Of the other phone platforms, iPhone would be the easiest to port Qt onto (there's already a MacOS Qt implmentation), followed by WinPhone 7.

Besides, if you were going to write such a conversion tool (and assume for a moment this is possible), why go after Android at all? For less effort, you could target iPhone developers, and iPhone applications are much higher quality in general, and there are far more of them.

Lots of Android apps use C++
    they are in APKs but its worked quite well (cept for games like Angry Birds- fixed in 2.3)
    Opera Mobile for Android is made entirely in C++, with resources in APK

There is a QT project for Android, but not enough interest as most devs seem to like Darvik, but QT Lighthouse is progressing well
    Probably will be incorporated into Android source one day, hopefully by that time ROM chips will be bigger! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delonglad

Do not get the Galaxy S, the S stands for slow.. I thought this phone was great when i first opened the box and had a great first few days. Then boom completely laggy and freezing every 5 mins. I only had a handful of the essential apps installed.

So 2.2 comes out and I spend hours of my life trying to connect with Samsung Kies to update. This is a well documented stupid problem with Samsung. Finally I update it and the lags are gone its flying again, a few weeks later and its back to shocking bad. Sometimes it can't even handle a phone call. The Swype gets worse with the new upgrade too.

The gps does not work at all either only when it wants too which is never.

I was in the vodafone shop the other day and honestly i saw your man trying to push the phone on a customer, saying how great it was, wanted to fire the phone t him.

Look into a HTC instead of the Samsung.

Frustrated Samsung user.

meh mod it

Meh, that's not really an acceptable answer.

If I paid for a phone, I'd expect it to work without me having to dick around with the software. As far as I, or Joe Soap in the street is concerned, we've bought an expensive phone, and now it doesn't work. End of story. So what if Android is "the awesome" - that phone may as well have gold-plated unicorns running around inside it for all the good it does: if you can't open the email client without it hanging, it's still not worth a damn.

Now, personally I could fix this kind of crap, but I'd rather not have to. I certainly wouldn't want to be fixing the bloody phones of everyone I knew just because Samsung can't do proper QA.
    There is a QT project for Android, but not enough interest as most devs seem to like Darvik, but QT Lighthouse is progressing well
    Probably will be incorporated into Android source one day, hopefully by that time ROM chips will be bigger!
    Didn't realise there was much C++ dev on Android - It's definitely discouraged - either that or most Android flagwavers just don't know any C++.

Compiled down, the Qt libs occupy about 14 MBytes.. hardly the end of the world these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

what a load of bull the galaxy s out shines most high end phones including the iphone and desire and if you buy one as of today you will find no modding whatsoever is needed and it comes with froyo 2.2. as for being slow quite the opposite its a faster processor than the htc desire the galaxy s is by far one of the best if not the best smart phone available. the following link is a comparison of the spec you will see that the galaxy s has everything the htc does and more.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/aspx/ProductComparison.aspx

my personal opinion is that people who bought the phone when they first came out will have suffered with all the glitches in the world and its given the phone a bad name but if you buy one as of today you will find they are far from slow since they were manufacturer upgraded. I have used all three phones, as all three are in my household at present and I can confirm the galaxy s is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

i also had lag issues then i applied the lag fix..the issues are now sorted.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=784691

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I have no lag fixes installed with 2.2.1 on galaxy s and it's not slow anymore.

what a load of bull the galaxy s out shines most high end phones including the iphone and desire and if you buy one as of today you will find no modding whatsoever is needed and it comes with froyo 2.2. as for being slow quite the opposite its a faster processor than the htc desire the galaxy s is by far one of the best if not the best smart phone available. the following link is a comparison of the spec you will see that the galaxy s has everything the htc does and more.

Glad you like yours.

However, I know only six people with this phone. All bought in the last two months. All experienced extreme slowdown with normal business use. Six from six.

Specsheets are no substitute for proper software QA and customer support. I'd always advise someone to avoid Samsung.

KrisW wrote: »
    Glad you like yours.

However, I know only six people with this phone. All bought in the last two months. All experienced extreme slowdown with normal business use. Six from six.

Specsheets are no substitute for proper software QA and customer support. I'd always advise someone to avoid Samsung.

How many of them have upgraded to 2.2.1? Even 2.2 was slow for me. it was only when it got the latest version was it noticeably better.

The problem has nothing to do with Android, it's Samsung's choice of filesystem that causes it. Until you apply the fix thegame linked to, your phone will get slower with time.

I've have the latest version installed for 3 weeks+ now and no slowdown. previous versions would all be lagging after a week.
    Everything in the new release was faster in general and has stayed that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I still haven't jumped and bought a phone...Went back for the Galaxy S in Feb and it had gone from €99 to €149 in CPW, popped in again last night to see if March had any offers and it was €189!

Now waiting, the Nexus S is due on Meteor in April...or maybe waiting for the Galaxy S II...wish I'd taken an 18 month contract now instead of 12 while I'm deciding what to do. I never remember buying a phone being this stressful before!

Advertisement