Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballinteer school 1970?

Options
  • 29-01-2011 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the name of the school I attended when I spent the fall of 1970 in Ireland when I was 7. (I'm from the US. My father was a college professor and brought his family along on a year-abroad program.)

We lived in Ballinteer and my sister and I went to the local school. I don't remember what it was called except that it had "coeducational" in the name. Although there were both girls and boys there, we were in separate classes and didn't interact. I remember being reprimanded for talking to my "boyfriend" Gary through the fence in the play-yard.

Our mother gave us threepence to take the bus to school. Sometimes we spent it on sweets and walked home.

Does anybody have any idea which school this might have been? If so, do you know if it's still in existence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Wesley College?

One of Ireland’s premier schools, Wesley College was founded in 1845 on St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin. In 1969 it relocated to Ballinteer where it is situated close to the Dublin Mountains. The College is a Methodist Foundation but welcomes students of all faiths. Wesley is a co-educational College accommodating boarding and day students in a vibrant school community.

http://www.wesleycollege.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 calicoh

Thanks for the suggestion. Our landlady did suggest that we go to Wesley College, which was very near our house, but they only had room for one of us, so my parents sent us to the national school. My mother doesn't remember the name....

• Registered Users Posts: 37 qwertyuiopa

Must have been Our Lady's national school so..the other one would be St. Attracta's

Either of them ring a bell?

Neither one rings a bell, but it was a long time ago! Did anybody reading this go to primary school in the 70s? There was a sweet shop near the entrance to the school which did a booming business. I remember the girls' room at the school was one giant room with small toilets around the other edge. The floor was often covered with water. :( We learned Gaelic and knitting in class, but I guess that could be any school.... The whole school went to mass on Catholic holidays. I'm not Catholic, so the teachers weren't quite sure what to do with me. They put a kleenex on my head and had me stand off to one side while my classmates received communion. I remember the other girls asking me if "all americans are heathens." ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'm fairly sure that Our Lady's wasn't open until at least 72 if not a couple of years later. My family moved into the area when the estates were first built and my sister had to go to school in Dun drum for the first year or two before the school was finished and open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Our lady's was open prior to 1972 - it was based in prefabs located roughly where Superquinn / Maxol petrol station are today. St Attracta's did not open until the late 70's. Classes in the prefab days where mixed - at least until we got into first class.

Perhaps you attended the national school in Dundrum? Only a short distance away but much older.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just had it confirmed, Our Lady's opened up on its present site in 73. And dogmatix is spot on with the prefab reference.

I asked my mom, and yes, although we lived in Ballinteer, we went to school in Dundrum. Anybody know which one it would have been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Holy Cross?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Trí wrote: »
    Holy Cross?

Sounds about right. It was/is opposite the Garda station and beside the luas line.

http://www.holycrossschool.ie/index.html

Remember attending Mr Brennan's crash course maths classes in there after school in preparation for the Inter-cert. Many, many years ago.

Incidentally is he still teaching up at Benildus? Heard "Macker" retired last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

calicoh wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the name of the school I attended when I spent the fall of 1970 in Ireland when I was 7. (I'm from the US. My father was a college professor and brought his family along on a year-abroad program.)

We lived in Ballinteer and my sister and I went to the local school. I don't remember what it was called except that it had "coeducational" in the name. Although there were both girls and boys there, we were in separate classes and didn't interact. I remember being reprimanded for talking to my "boyfriend" Gary through the fence in the play-yard.

Our mother gave us threepence to take the bus to school. Sometimes we spent it on sweets and walked home.

Does anybody have any idea which school this might have been? If so, do you know if it's still in existence?

Hi
    I went there in 1970 can you rember any of your class mate,s names

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Could of been Taney NS, just up the road from Holy Cross (not sure when it moved there mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Moved to Ballinteer (Woodpark) in 1970 aged 13, had younger siblings of primary school age, they went to schools out of the area, I don't remember any National School then.

Advertisement