Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which dog breed for a jogger?

• 30-01-2011 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks. Having thoughts about getting a dog. Have 3 kids (youngest 5) and a (very nervous) cat to consider. My wife particularly loves Golden Retrievers, while I've a fondness for Spaniels.

Thing is that both myself and my wife do a wee bit of running - one or other of us will go running almost every day - and I was thinking it'd be nice if we could get a dog who could run with us. Distances would be up to 12k, for about an hour.

Are there any breeds which would be able for this? There is a perception that greyhounds and whippets would be ideal but I understand they are not great for any distance - correct? We could accomodate a retriever but not really any larger and we would have to get a small pup, as we think our cat would need to get to know him/her when its small and get used to them as they grow.

I've probably not listed some other things but I don't think I've omitted anything key to this particular aspect of the decision. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

Young dogs/puppies cant run over distance so a dog would need too b approx 1.5yrs old. Huskie dog is ideal too run for distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Any kind of setter/spaniel type dog would be great. I'd get a mutt though, they tend to be healthier. Retrievers/Labs/etc can be so overbred that they can develop joint problems and are prone to arthritis. Any chance you'd consider adopting a mongrel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I think a lab would be good, they would be good for the running and also the kids, maybe get a female as they are smaller. Or a nice mut as suggested earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

seen a guy out running the other night with a greyhound...guess who was in the lead?!! and theres so many of them in the dog shelters these days.dunno how they are with kids tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Would be very open to getting a mutt - I'd far prefer to rescue a dog than pay a breeder - but young pups don't seem to appear on the rescue pages too much. I'd need to know that its parent breeds would be likely to allow it to run a bit as described. Fair point on the lab / retriever joint problems also.

I know it'd have to grow into the distances but my young son also runs - not long distances of course (2-3k at a slow enough pace) - so a younger dog would be able to run with him I'd guess.

Thanks for your thoughts - any more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

greyhounds and whippets are "sprinters" and would not be capable of running such a distance. they can run very fast but for very short periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Would be very open to getting a mutt - I'd far prefer to rescue a dog than pay a breeder - but young pups don't seem to appear on the rescue pages too much. I'd need to know that its parent breeds would be likely to allow it to run a bit as described. Fair point on the lab / retriever joint problems also.

I know it'd have to grow into the distances but my young son also runs - not long distances of course (2-3k at a slow enough pace) - so a younger dog would be able to run with him I'd guess.

Thanks for your thoughts - any more?
    you could get a half a lab if you know what I mean, not a breeder one, mostly lab. There are a lot of rescue ones for some reason. I suppose they are cute when small and are a lot of minding when they get big. I just love them and they are good with kids so I am biased. They can be prone to joint problems but they dont all have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Pointers :D.. And by pure chance I've got a lovely German Wirehaired Pointer in rescue who is absolutely fine with cats and adores kids :D.

Relatively rare solid liver with white bib:

76157_471971805888_169411475888_5689846_2921394_n.jpg

Not that I am plugging my own dogs *whistle* :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Spaniels have bags of energy so I would say they'd be ideal, pointers, dalmations and huskys would also have bags and bags of energy and would have the endurance for a long run. Huskys however I don't think have a very good reputation with cats.

Generally the rule for exercise is 5 minutes for month of age, larger breeds would be much slower developing their bones and joints so may not be fully mature and capable of long runs on hard surfaces until about 2 years of age, before that and you risk damaging their joints.
    So if your looking for a jogging companian now maybe it's best to look for an older dog that has lived with cats before. Some rescue centres foster their dogs in homes before they are adopted out so would have an idea as to which ones are good with cats.

I would be careful with greyhounds and a nervous cat, don't get me wrong greyhounds are lovely dogs and there are loads who are good with cats and small dogs but I don't know if I'd trust one with a nervous and likely to run cat, a dog savvy cat yes but not one that is very likely to run. Don't completely rule them out this is just my opinion, if your cat is anything like mine she would resemble a small blurry furry object sprinting away in the distance when she's around something she's nervous of!

Jack russells exercise wise would also be ideal, they are a powerhouse of energy cramed into a small body, again you would need to be careful to get one which is used to cats as they would have a high prey drive.

EGAR wrote: »
    Pointers :D.. And by pure chance I've got a lovely German Wirehaired Pointer in rescue who is absolutely fine with cats and adores kids :D.

Relatively rare solid liver with white bib:

76157_471971805888_169411475888_5689846_2921394_n.jpg

Not that I am plugging my own dogs *whistle* :P

That's a gorgeous-looking dog EGAR. Problem is our neurotic cat. I really do think we'd need to start with a small puppy or she'd have a conniption/nervous breakdown, even if the dog paid her no heed whatsoever. I did take in a rescue dog before and the cat went into shock. As it happened the dog happened to be a cat-chasing escape artist so we had to have her re-rehomed to an even more secure garden (>5' walls) with no cats.

Lab crosses would be fine with me also. The point on the greyhounds/whippets is in line with what I'd heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Border collie, they run for hours and hours.
    Go for a 30 minute jog and sure they are only warming up.

They'll herd you along and snap at your heels if you're slacking, like a good sheepdog :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

As you have a cat and low walls, then a husky is definitely not for you, but then I think most of the high energy breeds might also be out, unless you are prepared to make your garden more secure. I had a pointer here that could scale 7 foot fences no problem, her new home looks like Fort Knox at this point.

The advice about how far a pup can be exercised is spot on, 5 minutes for every month of the dog's life, so it would be at least one and a half to two years old before you could run with it the way you want.

Its all about how you introduce the dog and cat to each other that is the key. A puppy will actually probably chase the cat more than an older, cat friendly rescue dog. The cat may not be scared of it, but it will get chased:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Border collie, they run for hours and hours.
    Go for a 30 minute jog and sure they are only warming up.

They'll herd you along and snap at your heels if you're slacking, like a good sheepdog :p

Definitely agree, I would say get a border collie cross, the one we have is crossed with a german shepard and the dog never runs out of energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I agree with the other posters about mutts, my experience is that they've always been healthier than purebred dogs. The JRT types could be ideal for you, working dog packed into a small body. Mine do 5km without even blinking.
    I was given a baby seat for my bike at christmas so I'll be putting baba on the back and cycling the younger dogs, 2 of them are JRTs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

I'd have to agree with the border collie cross option, based on experience. My old fella used to love going for a run with me, bundles of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I know a lady who jogs with her greyhound and a guy around here jogs with a whippet and a lurcher. I think a lurcher could be good for something like this as depending on what the x is they would have more stamina than a greyhound. That said, greyhounds are conditioned to run short distances but I know of a greyhound who was adopted as a pup and never trained to race and by golly she has some stamina and can cover long distances.

MJ at Orchard Greyhound Sanctuary is the person who adopted out a greyhound to the lady that jogs so you might want to contact her for more information. She is very knowledgeable on all things greyhound www.orchardgreyhoundsanctuary.com

I'd echo what others have said about a spaniel. Bundles of energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I run with my rescue lab x setter mix he loves it and happy to run beside me - or ahead of me off lead.

There is ALWAYS pups in rescue I have no idea why so many people think they are not available....I see them every day.

www.dogstrust.ie always have pups but you need to call directly to the centre.

Most pounds have pups and you can look at www.irishanimals.ie for more available pups and dogs.

So many breeds will be happy to run from small to large dogs just make sure the dog you get is not a heavy set dog or one with too much of a thick coat as dogs will over heat quickly.

Best of luck in your search! If anyone is looking for a rescue pup and doesn't think they can find a pup fitting their needs in rescue you are more than welcome to contact me :) as I never have an issue with finding them....unfortunately too many unwanted dogs out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

German Shepard's,spaniel's,collie's,Lab's.And most cross bred labs collies german shepards,i saw huskie lurcher cross in the link above,pretty sure that would be a jogger.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 nikobyrne

husky for the win, so loves jogging and is also great with kids too :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

+1 on the border collie.

I had one for 14 years before he had to be put down due to Leukemia. We'd run down to Dollymount beach and along the seaside then back home. Total run was only ever about 6-7k but he had more in him than I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

We have a border collie, a collie cross and a setter cross at the moment. I love them all, but one thing about the border collie is that it is next to impossible to keep him contained. He can climb trees, jump 5ft walls, squeeze through the narrowest gaps imaginable. It's not an issue for us, he very rarely leaves the property and we live in the middle of nowhere anyway, but if you had one with any degree of wanderlust at all and had a less than Fort Knox back yard, your nerves will be frayed.

The collie cross has the same abilities but doesn't use them. The setter cross was a stray and was impossible for the first 2 months, but now that she's settled you could draw a line on the ground and she wouldn't cross it. Anything with gundog blood (setter, spaniel, pointer, labs etc) generally have the gentlest and most affectionate natures, are fairly easy to train and have heaps of energy. Our setter cross lives for love. She loves me & himself, loves my very young son (18months) intensely, loves the other dogs, loves the cat. We've even found her curled up with the ducks. She'd have been a lovely mammy and treats us all as her pups.

The collies, while loyal unto death, are a bit more narky and don't always tolerate cuddles and view anything that isn't the boss as fair game for a bit of herding, bullying and even the odd corrective nip (not in a bad way, more in a supernanny way). I love my collies, but if you have younger kids or other pets, gundogs are the way to go (imo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I've a miniature Jack Russell and he comes along the 6km jog with me, he loves it. I think most working dogs would be able to run 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

Hard to see how there'd be animal equilibrium in the house between a cat and alot of the breeds mentioned - they'd have to be introduced to the cat as a pup. While I have a Samoyed and he gets on famously with the cat, they're not to be trusted with cats by all accounts and even more so for the Husky.

My Samoyed is only 4.5 months and he's doing 2k in just over 10 minutes, he also walks 30k/week. He wouldn't have a hope of lasting for 10K plus until he's 12 to 18 months.

A spaniel or spaniel cross I'd imagine would be the best, but again you'd have to get him as a pup and wait for 12/18 months before he'd get up to those distances.

Samoyed is not ideal because he gets easily distracted - he's liable to run across you, I'd trust a springer spaniel far more in this regard, plus he's less likely to pull off the lead comparing to alot of the other breeds.

Other plus for a spaniel breed is they have a soft (hunting dog) mouth. He's alot less likely to hurt the kids or the cat (unknown to himself) than some of the other breeds as well (when he's playing).

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bunny&spoon

+1 on the gun dogs

We have a setter here and he loves running everywhere. even happier if somebody runs with him! Is great with kids, is great with everyone actually! very affectionate and loyal to his family, our's isnt really bother by cats as he was brought up around them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

the Rodesian Ridgeback is the dog for you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Ya, I fell in love with her aswell. I WANT...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

fair game for a bit of herding, bullying and even the odd corrective nip (not in a bad way, more in a supernanny way).

Even more reason to take the border collie running.

Take too many breaks and you'll get a swift nip on your ankles :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

A bit far away but theres a beautiful setter and lots of other active dogs looking for homes at the DSPCA:)Not sure if this one is good with cats or not though....
    http://www.dspca.ie/cat_animals_need_homes_detail.jsp?itemID=1393&n=0&p=0

Advertisement