Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

INFO on CAO post/ Online

Options
  • 30-01-2011 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi

I am applying to Trinity as a mature Student. I have decided to apply to UCD and UCC, but only since yesterday so I am just wondering about the Cao application. I think I have all the necessary documents.

First, I am using my information from the Trinity application for my personal statement.
    -Is it better to apply by post since you seem to be able to write more?
    -If you apply online, can you indicate that you will send in your personal statement typed with your certificates by post?
    -Is a Cv always a good idea (if your work has no relevance to the course)?
    -How many words for the statement (600?)

appologies if these have been answered, I am mostly wondering about the lenght and dates of P. Statement and the difference in application procedures.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

-Is it better to apply by post since you seem to be able to write more?

Well I found it was easier to apply on-line myself. For any extra information I just sent it by post.
    -If you apply online, can you indicate that you will send in your personal statement typed with your certificates by post?

Yep. For each section I wrote - see postal documents.
    -Is a Cv always a good idea (if your work has no relevance to the course)?

I'm pretty sure UCD require a CV. In my opinion, its a good way of the college to see a timeline of what you have been doing since leaving school.
    -How many words for the statement (600?)

Like I said in the other thread, it really does depend. Have only the relevant bits of information that you think fit the application. There is no need to waffle. If you follow my tips on writing a personal statement and looked at samples of personal statements you can't go too far wrong.

Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Duff

Slightly off topic but on the CAO online application, the bit that says ''Explain the relevance of your life / educational experience to your application and state your educational goals and objectives'

Would it be okay to write something like ''See personal statement in posted documents'' in that bit and then send the online application off? Would it matter that they have already received my online application but not the posted documents yet as they would still be in the post?

Hope that makes sense as it is rather confusing.

Yes that is fine. Well, that is what I did. Just don't forget your name and CAO number on each page you send in!

I guess colleges/unis don't view applications until the middle of Feb/March when all the documentation is in. I would say everything has to be scanned onto the system and some sort of database is made for colleges to log into to see your application.

(This is all just me presuming what is done.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Duff

Thank you yet again Larianne :)

Also, don't forget to write a cover letter to the CAO stating that the documents are part of your application with your CAo number etc. Just so the poor sod in the CAO, who probably now hates me, has an easier job. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

Larianne wrote: »
    Also, don't forget to write a cover letter to the CAO stating that the documents are part of your application with your CAo number etc. Just so the poor sod in the CAO, who probably now hates me, has an easier job. :)

Larainne, I might send you my Trinity (and Cao) statement if you wanted to have a look at it. You seem so interested in all this. I doubt if i would be but if you are willing i'd love the feedback. I've attempted to follow guidelines but inevitably I attempted to convey my personal relevance to the course etc.

If so i'll send in on in a PM. I am probably being presumtuous, because you are always so very helpful, but If you can't I will obviously understand!!:D:D:D ( i meant that to be sweet but it came off as slightly deranged)

JAK

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

Duff wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but on the CAO online application, the bit that says ''Explain the relevance of your life / educational experience to your application and state your educational goals and objectives'

Would it be okay to write something like ''See personal statement in posted documents'' in that bit and then send the online application off? Would it matter that they have already received my online application but not the posted documents yet as they would still be in the post?

Hope that makes sense as it is rather confusing.

Hey Man

If it makes you feel any better this is what i'm going to do too. Have to get leaving cert results so dunno what day that will be. From what I gather it should be ok, and I reckon they would be fine so long as you have the choices in on 1st and all remaining info in within the 7 days.

Advertisement