Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sata or ide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Available devices

Serial ATA drives (up to 2), floppy drive, USB memory devices, CD drive, CD-RW drive, DVD drive, DVD-RW drive, DVD and CD-RW combo drive, and media reader

^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Yeah, definitely SATA, I just fixed one last week, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

It'll most likeely have both sata ports used up already by the DVD drive and existing HDD, so you'll have to replace the HDD rather than adding another...
    Might as well just open her up and check to be on the safe side

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

tman wrote: »
    It'll most likeely have both sata ports used up already by the DVD drive and existing HDD, so you'll have to replace the HDD rather than adding another...
    Might as well just open her up and check to be on the safe side

The DVD appears to be IDE looking at the manual so I think it is ok, no harm in checking though to be sure as you say.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3100/en/sm/parts0.htm#wp1056445

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

thanks lads

thinking of getting this
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?name=st32000542as-bcuda-lp-sata-2tb-hd&vgnextoid=1f70e5daa90b0210VgnVCM1000001a48090aRCRD&locale=en-US

do they generally come with all the needed cables or do i just as i think i haev done before use the cables in the tower itself..

also wondering can this computer take more ram?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Drives don't come with cables (unless you get a retail boxed unit, but most are just OEM)
    There won't be any spare data cables inside the PC if you're thinking of adding the drive, so you'll have to buy one, but you should be sorted for power cables (once again, open it up to be sure rather than taking our word... It'll take all of 2 minutes!)
    That drive will be quite slow if you're of using it as the boot drive btw, but will do fine for just storing data... A 7200rpm Spinpoint F3 would be a better buy if you're going to be replacing the current drive.

Check how many free slots for ram you have while you're opening it

Advertisement