Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared accommodation or rent apartment alone

Options
  • 30-01-2011 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Im a single man in my early 30's and I earn 40-45k a year, I know its a personel choice but should I at my age and with the wage im earning be living in my own place? I can get a nice 2 bed apartment for 500 a month but I could get a single room sharing with others for as cheap as 200 a month, there is also bills to factor in?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

The best strategy is to live as cheaply as you can and save as much money as possible. you should position yourself to take advantage of the inevitable opportunities to buy cheap property in the years ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

only you can really answer that question - if you would like your own space and freedom the choose the apt. if on the other hand as the previous poster said, you want to continue to save money then share. some like sharing, some don't. 500 euro a month for a 2 bed place is not bad, at least in comparison to dublin rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

Get your own place! No matter how nice the other people are that you share with, it still restricts your freedom to do what you want. If you are someone who really doesnt like being on his own, then sharing may be the way to go, you can have some crack with the other people, but in my experience you will end up fighting over something eventually, and start yearning for your own place. If you are broke, sharing is great, but you could afford it on your own IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Depends what you want and what your plans are. I'm sharing a house and while there are times when I'd love to rent my own place, I've decided to stay put from an economic point of view. I'm saving up a deposit to buy my own place when things settle down (fingers crossed...) and to me, the few hundred extra euros a month that it would cost to live alone are too much of a luxury. And that's before you throw the hefty bill for a tank of oil we had to pay a couple of months ago :eek: and the ESB. But everyone's different. It's what you are comfortable with and what you want, rather than what you think you should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Im a single man in my early 30's and I earn 40-45k a year, I know its a personel choice but should I at my age and with the wage im earning be living in my own place? I can get a nice 2 bed apartment for 500 a month but I could get a single room sharing with others for as cheap as 200 a month, there is also bills to factor in?
    Idle curiosity, whereabouts in the coutry are you? I've been pulling out my hair looking for a reasonably priced -one- bed, never mind two...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭darragh_k

I'd be curious to know as well, I've just started looking for a place in Dublin, and everything i see for one bedroom is disgusting and overpriced!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If you could get a place unfurnished then I would go it alone, otherwise I don't see the point. You can add in bits over time, make it feel like an actual home and in the future if you ever decide to buy a place then you already have the furniture to put into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

darragh_k wrote: »
    I'd be curious to know as well, I've just started looking for a place in Dublin, and everything i see for one bedroom is disgusting and overpriced!!

I know of a nice one bed coming on the market in Rathmines for €650 including heating. It is non PRTB though.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

I know of a nice one bed coming on the market in Rathmines for €650 including heating. It is non PRTB though.

I thought it was illegal to be non PRTB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

Baralis1 wrote: »

same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I rent my own space like the OP. Only way I did it was that I saved up alot over the years before I plumped for it to make it "economically viable" on a personal level. Of course when I see value in the sales market, I will probably end up buying a property.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭darragh_k

Can you PM me more details? Photos? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Baralis1 wrote: »

It is illegal alright, but it wont be registered with the PRTB until there is a tenant in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

Sharing can be good ie cheaper than renting on your own and can lead to more friends or bad in that the other renters can run up large bills and be hard to live with. Do you want to buy property in the next 2 or 3 years?
    Sharing could mean that you are in a position to buy a place sooner & could keep you saving hard to move away from the other renters.
    Another option could be a bedsit which means you can live on your own and your bills are your own also.

Advertisement