Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on DCC

Options
  • 30-01-2011 2:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi everyone
    Now my layout is near completion i have begun the task of moving into DCC controls. My only problem is money which i am aware a descent bit is needed for even the bare minimum when it comes to DCC. I wanted to know if anyone knew of a good intro to DCC starter pack like controller , Decoder and train. Or am i best buying DCC ready trains then start getting controllers and decoders over time.
    Thanks =====
    Tracks
    =====

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Cookie Monster will be along shortly, he's the man in the know when it comes to DCC.

However, can I just say, pics or GTFO! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tracks

Pics or GTFO ????????

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Show us pictures, or Get The F*** Out.
    They want to see the setup

Thanks for clearing that up
    Dude that's a bit harsh like why do you want to see it so bad considering you didn't give any piece of useful information. :D:):cool:;):rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ah dude relax, it's expression used frequently on boards. There's no malice involved ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

There are too many variable to considers to advise based on your post and I certainly don't have enough knowledge of the area to do so.

Things like

how many trains
    how many running at the same time
    do you want sound
    do you want pc control
    do you want point / accessories control
    cost
    functionality etc etc
    is your layout complex enough to actually need it or could you save money and stay DC

you can run a DC train on a DCC track but its not that good for it really.
    Nearly all can be converted to DCC, either by plugging in a decoder or cutting and soldering wires.

You're best bet is to read up as much as you can on it to get an idea of what would suit you. I've never used DCC so can't really help with specific too much.

buying a train plus decoder should work out cheaper than buying on already fitted in general, but Bachmann do a class 150 DMU set with their Dynamis wireless control and some track, some of the UK shops do them at very good prices.

Thanks for the help Cookie Monster :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

that is a really good deal like a single dcc controller is nearly the same price ill look into that one
    Thank:D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Maverick88

Would heartily agree with CM on the Hattons recommendation (not connected in any way with them) you'll be hard pressed to find stuff cheaper- Rails of Sheffield is another box shifter like Hattons (pile it high sell it cheap) worth looking at.

The Heljan stuff is normally a very good price. The Hattons site is updated on a regular basis with all their bargains

Have to say I've always found Hattons service to be excellent as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement