Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with lc english higher please

• 30-01-2011 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hey would it be possible to get a C in higher english if i started the study now? Anyone know a grind teacher willing to take this challenge up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Completely possible, but you'll need to put in a lot of work for paper 2.

It'd be hard to rocommend someone when you don't say what county/area you live in :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭nathughes

Very true im in dublin... to be honest i dont want many grinds mainly some1 to read things i write ya know and advice about books to read etc... but most of all help on the poems

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

nathughes wrote: »
    Very true im in dublin... to be honest i dont want many grinds mainly some1 to read things i write ya know and advice about books to read etc... but most of all help on the poems
    first thing is to get the past papers.

if you're aiming for a C i'd suggest put work into your essay -prob best to go for the analytical essay - if your not inclined towards Eng as a subject
    as for feedback, if you have three good essays written (legibly), your parents etc may read them.
    poetry has little payoff (marks)for the work involved.
    read synopsis of the novels - concentrate on the bigger picture themes, social context, find reviews on the net and re-word them
    same with Shakespeare.

also find example on the open poem, tricky but maybe be possible to find some.

no point trying to go the trad route at this stage - look at the marks and focus of shortest route to getting marks.

scandalous but c'est la vie at this stage.

overall, forget about the novels, plays or poems in any great depth - just try to write something on all questions on them - ie get synopsis, reviews etc.

(ps, i got one student a C with 6 hours work (back in the day), so it's very possible

So now I need to get someone for grinds (mainly through email correspondence) and maybe some notes, example essays and sample question ans. Also some predictions would be nice for poetry so i could work on a few ans for that as well.

Can anyone recommend a good book like exam wise or get the points that might be helpful as well??

Thanks a million for the help

Natalie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

You can do it. If you put in the work it is more than possible :).

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

To be honest, English is very subjective. i.e. What one teacher likes, ur examiner may dislike.

Last year I got an A1 in higher level Leaving Certificate English so if it would help, I wouldn't mind correcting an essay or two and providing feedback (grade and where you lost marks). I'm already doing it anyway...

PM me if you want :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Learn the technical terms (types of languages, poetic techniques, styles, features of writing) and you'll have a good base on which to do the comprehension/poetry questions on the paper.

The comparative is going to be difficult if you haven't read the texts before, you need a general knowledge of the three texts and be able to quote and compare/contrast them under different headings.

The main text needs to be known in detail. Try looking up sample answers for the one you're doing and learn the parts that you can apply to any question (i.e relationships, key events)

You didn't mention if you're starting HL now or are just starting to actually put work into it, so I'm not sure how you're fixed with the poetry.

Ok well id be starting from the beginning to be honest... I have read Circle of Friends, The Kite Runner and Emma so I guess i could use these but I read them a long time ago so would have to go over them if I would need to quote them.

As for the play I believe its Hamlet and this would be new to me altogether, I was never good with the language used in these and even worse trying to quote it :(

Where should I start with this?? I would need to get into it ASAP as I have only 4 months to do it all. I would have to go to a Library for the books but are there any revision books that give good sample ans or and websites I can get some sample ans from??

THanks

Natalie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

nathughes wrote: »
    Ok well id be starting from the beginning ..... I read them a long time ago .... I would need to get into it ASAP as I have only 4 months to do it all.

Not directly related to your english question but I get the impression you are sitting as an external student. Have you applied via www.examinations.ie ? I ask because tomorrow is the closing date for standard fee entry. If you apply after tomorrow you have to pay extra

Advertisement