Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords Cork issue.

Options
  • 30-01-2011 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just looking for some advice.

I bought a bike from halfords on the 5th of January, A week later this bike developed an issue where the chain would slip off either when I was cycling up a hill/or trying to build up speed(basically any time there was pressure on the chain). I then had to take this bike back, which meant I had to cycle it like this for 10KM to get it repaired. They did repair it with no questions and It seemed to be resolved.

Usually when I cycle I leave it in one gear and never change it, I started going a different route which was very tough in the highest gear so I started changing them, I then noticed that the issue was coming back, So I decided to stop changing the gears and leave it in the gear I'd usually use.

This seemed alright but then just once the chain slipped again, I was hoping this was a one off but it wasn't. It happened again while I was cycling away from traffic lights, My feet slipped off the peddles and I lost control of the bike and crashed it, Doing damage to myself, and the bike.

Now I'm left with a bike that I A) don't want to cycle (cause it's obviously crap) and B) probably isn't safe to cycle. I sent an email to Halfords UK head office as I was having trouble contacting the Cork branch and then I was put in contact with someone in the Cork branch.

I was told I needed to have the bike there this Tuesday, And when I said that might not be possible cause I can't cycle the bike and don't have a car it was just answered with "There's a man here tuesday who will inspect the bike."

Firstly It seems I'm being forced into getting the bike there for Tuesday, when asking if I couldn't get it there for Tuesday I got no actual answer.

It's going to go for a "Technical" inspection, If it's what I saw them do after fixing my bike, that's one of the staff putting it on a stand and peddling the bike with their hand, This does no where near replicate the power/pressure the bike would experience with an adult male cycling it.

When I asked about a refund I was totally ignored. This is the second time this issue has arose, I've also had issues with the back break locking after it went back for repair, Which I will mention when I'm there, again this only sometimes happend and if there don't/can't replicate it they'll just ignore it and say it's not as issue?

I've a feeling I'll have to fight for a refund on this, Would this be eligible for a small claims court claim? The bike was 22 days old when the issue caused me to fall. Surely that's unacceptable?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm just looking for some advice.

I bought a bike from halfords on the 5th of January, A week later this bike developed an issue where the chain would slip off either when I was cycling up a hill/or trying to build up speed(basically any time there was pressure on the chain). I then had to take this bike back, which meant I had to cycle it like this for 10KM to get it repaired. They did repair it with no questions and It seemed to be resolved.

Usually when I cycle I leave it in one gear and never change it, I started going a different route which was very tough in the highest gear so I started changing them, I then noticed that the issue was coming back, So I decided to stop changing the gears and leave it in the gear I'd usually use.

This seemed alright but then just once the chain slipped again, I was hoping this was a one off but it wasn't. It happened again while I was cycling away from traffic lights, My feet slipped off the peddles and I lost control of the bike and crashed it, Doing damage to myself, and the bike.

Now I'm left with a bike that I A) don't want to cycle (cause it's obviously crap) and B) probably isn't safe to cycle. I sent an email to Halfords UK head office as I was having trouble contacting the Cork branch and then I was put in contact with someone in the Cork branch.

I was told I needed to have the bike there this Tuesday, And when I said that might not be possible cause I can't cycle the bike and don't have a car it was just answered with "There's a man here tuesday who will inspect the bike."

Firstly It seems I'm being forced into getting the bike there for Tuesday, when asking if I couldn't get it there for Tuesday I got no actual answer.

It's going to go for a "Technical" inspection, If it's what I saw them do after fixing my bike, that's one of the staff putting it on a stand and peddling the bike with their hand, This does no where near replicate the power/pressure the bike would experience with an adult male cycling it.

When I asked about a refund I was totally ignored. This is the second time this issue has arose, I've also had issues with the back break locking after it went back for repair, Which I will mention when I'm there, again this only sometimes happend and if there don't/can't replicate it they'll just ignore it and say it's not as issue?

I've a feeling I'll have to fight for a refund on this, Would this be eligible for a small claims court claim? The bike was 22 days old when the issue caused me to fall. Surely that's unacceptable?

Thanks all.

Well, your entitled to a repair, what bike is it? why cant you just leave the bike in one gear and cycle it?
    There is occcasions where the rider causes the chain to come off due to not knowing how to use the gears properly.

And all bike shops set bikes up in a stand that way, although they should bring em for a spin just to make sure everything is ok :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

kona wrote: »
    Well, your entitled to a repair, what bike is it? why cant you just leave the bike in one gear and cycle it?
    There is occcasions where the rider causes the chain to come off due to not knowing how to use the gears properly.

And all bike shops set bikes up in a stand that way, although they should bring em for a spin just to make sure everything is ok :D

It's an Appollo Phaze 22"

I've been cycling since I was 7(11 years now) I know how to change gears, and at the time It hadn't been changed for a day. Both times It wasn't bought for a spin!

Thanks for the help.

Also I no longer want a refund, I ignored advice from here that this bike would be no good, and now I'd like to get something better and more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Ricky91t wrote: »
    It's an Appollo Phaze 22"

I've been cycling since I was 7(11 years now) I know how to change gears, and at the time It hadn't been changed for a day. Both times It wasn't bought for a spin!

Thanks for the help.

Also I no longer want a refund, I ignored advice from here that this bike would be no good, and now I'd like to get something better and more reliable.

I was just about to say that, try angle for a Carrera Subway , they are on offer at the moment. Although their standards of bike building seems questionable.

I work in a bike shop, Everybody can cycle a bike, but you have even guys regularly cycling who chain cross etc, most the time bikes break is from people not using them right. Everybody can change gears, its using the correct gear thats the trick.

Id Imagine the issue with your chain is the limits and gear adjustment, BUT if the bike is in one gear on level ground, there is nothing to cause the chain to come off unless the tension loosens, the only way this happens on a geared bike is from bouncing up and down kerbs and off potholes, this causes the rear mech to bounce.

Good Luck

Advertisement