Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DONEGAL RALLY....LETTERKENNY TOWN STAGE????

Options
  • 30-01-2011 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

i heard last year that if buncrana was a success they were going to try to have the town centre stage in letterkenny this year.

would be the best rally stage in the country and the crowd would be unreal

can anyone elaborate on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

don't think the crowd would be allowed as close, but it looks class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I would imagine nowadays there would be crowd restrictions like we saw in town here for the WRC. Concrete barriers and no go areas. There is NO way people would get that close to the action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I honestly don't think its a viable option, i mean letterkenny is by far the busiest town in donegal, and the idea of closing it off for most of a day would be (im sure) met with lots of objections....

Anyways, the latest word from the rumor mill is that they are looking for a move away from letterkenny as its base, i've heard Donegal town, but this is likely only hearsay. Happens a lot at this time of year, when the rallying season dies down rumors of all sort fly about untill the season starts again, so i'd take it with a pinch lorryload of salt (although if it happens i wouldn't be overly surprised either)...

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

it was a marshall who told me this last year.

i think in the current climate the business people of letterkenny should welcome the opportunity of a showcase event coming to town. a lot of cause for complaint in the past was that the rally only brought people to town at night and then in the morning the whole circus headed around the county.
    to take the rally base to donegal town would be criminal

this will be the first year where work will not be interfering with my plans to follow the whole 3 days,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

I have to agree with creaghadoos on this one , any wee boost to letterkenny would be great, although there would be massive objection as usual from the safety police it might be worth the fight to get a bit of revenue back into the hotels and restaurants, I can see me eating my words here if God forbid anyone was to get hurt, thats always a consideration I know but it would be a great lift to the spirit in the town !!

Advertisement