Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

got 10euro left out of dole-Need to get Drunk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

There seems to be a mass misunderstanding of the concept of the dole. It is not there for a person to spend how they want. It should be spent on the costs of living. If you have some spare lodge it in your bank account so when it comes time to pay for your insurance, tax or tv licence you don't have to moan about not having the money to pay for it. Is there no personal responsability in this country?

For the record I don't drink or smoke. I spend my extra money on movies and computers for the most part. If I have a tenner left to my name will I spend it on a movie? **** no. That would be retarded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Aoifey! wrote: »
    Are you expected to sit in your house with barely the essentials and nothing else if on the dole?! I think not.

Yup. That's exactly what you're supposed to do. If you want money to spend on non-essentials then get a job.

Can't get a job? Tough ****.

Another hold over from the Celtic Tiger. "Ah shure, people should still be able to have the craic :pac:". Dole money is for basic living costs. If you have a tenner left over to piss away then you are obviously getting more than you need. Put it in a savings account for a rainy day rather than wasting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 piotrish

Yup. That's exactly what you're supposed to do. If you want money to spend on non-essentials then get a job.

Can't get a job? Tough ****.

Another hold over from the Celtic Tiger. "Ah shure, people should still be able to have the craic :pac:". Dole money is for basic living costs. If you have a tenner left over to piss away then you are obviously getting more than you need. Put it in a savings account for a rainy day rather than wasting it.

better still he should have given that money back. Who does he think he is taking taxpayers money.

Needs to be taught a bit of manners.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Some of that hospital hand sanitizer mixed with coca cola. Hear it does the trick if you are willing to put up with the possible brain damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Man, Ireland sucks.
    8 cans is all you get for a tenner?
    In Amsteram you can get 30 500ml cans of lager for a tenner and get well and truly sh1tfaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Man, Ireland sucks.
    8 cans is all you get for a tenner?
    In Amsteram you can get 30 500ml cans of lager for a tenner and get well and truly sh1tfaced.

:pac: How strong are those beers jackiebaron ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

and I hear the prossies are cheaper too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Copper23 wrote: »
    Oh god, here we go...
    To be honest I think the money could go to better use yeah... if you're asking.
    If someone is out of work then they are well entitled to the dole. Dole money is tax payers money and meant to be for the person obtaining it to still maintain a basic standard of living. So basically that covers, food, water, housing, etc... necessities, not luxuries...

So sorry but yeah, the tone of the original post doesn't exactly sit tremendously well.

Yeah I know, this will be horrendously unpopular but thats my view and tbh I'm not gonna change it.

And what do you mean by "the times"
    You know perfectly well what I mean.
    ... please don't give me the whole "recession, recession" rabble. People find themselves on the dole in good times and bad, it doesn't change the rules.
    You can dismiss that as "rabble" but the reality of it is: there is high unemployment and people are on the dole as a means of income, sometimes long-term unfortunately, not because they are "wasters" so why are they not entitled to a treat such as a measly €10 worth of booze per week? It's what they'd do with their earnings if they were working - and the money is their entitlement seeing as they too were paying taxes when working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

OP I think you should allow Jesus into your life.

He drives to the continent twice a week in the Pennys truck and stops at the wine market in Cherbourg on the way home. 8 bottles of wine €9.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Im fairly sure you could get a hemmer for a tenner........ >.>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Dein wrote: »
    only got a tenner left,anyone know what i can buy for 10 euro that will get me smashed up??

There is a way but its nasty. Not safe for anyone of a delicate disposition.
    Take the suppository approach as it goes directly into your bloodstream. It may also kill you though and no one wants to die with a bottle of beer in there ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Wow, can't believe Jebus is a truck driver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

The beers are 5%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

Give it to charity and get drunk on the happiness of charity :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Good to see my taxes are going to good use.

If it makes you feel any better, I used to spend some of my dole on champagne. I do have a job now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I was in Lidl at the weekend and they had 2x2lt strong dry cider for a fiver. I'd say that would keep you going all weekend.

Unfortunately, I'm self employed and despite paying PRSI and earning next to nothing last month I'm not entitled to dole, so I couldn't afford it.

However, i would encourage you to fill your boots like all those developers are. I'd do the same.

Ignore all those 'dole begrudgers' out there. Weird, isn't it how none of them are on the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Buy a buss pass and get a job.

Good advice, in my last interview they asked me did i have a bus pass, i could only say no. No job for me.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

People find themselves on the dole in good times and bad, it doesn't change the rules.

There are no "rules". No job? Looking for one? You get the dole.

They don't hand out a list of restrictions as to what people are or are not allowed to spend it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Petrol in a coke bottle and just sniff the fumes, you'll be out of your tree. Use a lighter to keep the fumes coming off by heating the bottom of the bottle.

I'm taking no responsibility for the damage if you blow yourself up

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fivestar

best of luck with that...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

k_mac wrote: »
    There seems to be a mass misunderstanding of the concept of the dole. It is not there for a person to spend how they want. It should be spent on the costs of living. If you have some spare lodge it in your bank account so when it comes time to pay for your insurance, tax or tv licence you don't have to moan about not having the money to pay for it. Is there no personal responsability in this country?

For the record I don't drink or smoke. I spend my extra money on movies and computers for the most part. If I have a tenner left to my name will I spend it on a movie? **** no. That would be retarded.

Nice to see someone with their head screwed on in this thread. This one exaclty proves my point. Someone with a bit of cop on who knows the score. If he does have some extra cash and can spend it on a movie or something, I'm really not gonna argue with that. Its more he bragging about pissing the dole money away is more what gets me.
    Dudess wrote: »
    You know perfectly well what I mean.

You can dismiss that as "rabble" but the reality of it is: there is high unemployment and people are on the dole as a means of income, sometimes long-term unfortunately, not because they are "wasters" so why are they not entitled to a treat such as a measly €10 worth of booze per week? It's what they'd do with their earnings if they were working - and the money is their entitlement seeing as they too were paying taxes when working.

I'm really not sure how I misunderstood you? What I got from you is that given that it is a recessionary time, then people should be MORE willing to spend their dole money frivilously.

This being a time where more people are unemployed and on the dole. This in turn, among other things has driven taxes up for those who are lucky enough to be employed. And given times are hard the chances are many on the dole will remain there for longer whereas they might have had more chance to get back working in the past, so they might need any spare cash they have now for bills later on.

Sorry, I'm not gonna agree, flat out. Dole money is there to let you have all you need to maintain a normal or standard living condition as best you can. I'd probably not really have a problem with someone spending a bit left over on themselves really if they weren't so arrogant and throwing it my face like the OP. Someone wants to spend some on a few pints? Sure I'd probably feel the same if it was me, but telling people you use your dole money to get smashed? Sorry, I'm just not gonna support that.

Yeah, he was probably trolling, I'm just astounded by the level of support he got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

Nice to see someone with their head screwed on in this thread. This one exaclty proves my point. Someone with a bit of cop on who knows the score. If he does have some extra cash and can spend it on a movie or something, I'm really not gonna argue with that. Its more he bragging about pissing the dole money away is more what gets me.

I'm really not sure how I misunderstood you? What I got from you is that given that it is a recessionary time, then people should be MORE willing to spend their dole money frivilously.

This being a time where more people are unemployed and on the dole. This in turn, among other things has driven taxes up for those who are lucky enough to be employed. And given times are hard the chances are many on the dole will remain there for longer whereas they might have had more chance to get back working in the past, so they might need any spare cash they have now for bills later on.

Sorry, I'm not gonna agree, flat out. Dole money is there to let you have all you need to maintain a normal or standard living condition as best you can. I'd probably not really have a problem with someone spending a bit left over on themselves really if they weren't so arrogant and throwing it my face like the OP. Someone wants to spend some on a few pints? Sure I'd probably feel the same if it was me, but telling people you use your dole money to get smashed? Sorry, I'm just not gonna support that.

Yeah, he was probably trolling, I'm just astounded by the level of support he got.

Just out of interest, what's your opinion on the bankers/politicans/developers who are in the process of taking between €100 billion and €200 billion of your tax over the next 5-10 years ? If it makes you feel better to criticize someone spending €10 of their dole on alcohol (which a large portion of will go back to the state through duty and VAT anyway) then continue on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

10 euro on booze is hardly frivolous - I don't understand why a person on the dole isn't entitled to a treat. Do you drink? If so, be honest - would you really not spend a small bit of it on booze?

This "my taxes" stuff is moot - people who were laid off in recent times and are now on the dole also paid taxes.

I'd say the tenner is well spent by now lads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

i just wonder :rolleyes: would beer stamps be a better way to go?

just in case he bought computer parts or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Buckfast obviously
    Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

Confab wrote: »
    If it makes you feel any better, I used to spend some of my dole on champagne. I do have a job now though.

Ponce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

This is an outrage - The OP should be tracked down and prosecuted for welfare fraud! Either he faces jail and/or else he's given food stamps that equal exactly 2500 calories a day, also he should be monitored daily so is that he doesn't trade his food stamps for non-essential items such as alcohol or tobacco!!!

Some people rile me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

giving out folk on dole and spending a few bob on a drink, sure does,nt more then half the taxes spent on drink goes back to the coffers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

patwicklow wrote: »
    giving out folk on dole and spending a few bob on a drink, sure does,nt more then half the taxes spent on drink goes back to the coffers.

Decent point..

Advertisement