Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

got 10euro left out of dole-Need to get Drunk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Oranage2 wrote: »
    This is an outrage - The OP should be tracked down and prosecuted for welfare fraud! Either he faces jail and/or else he's given food stamps that equal exactly 2500 calories a day, also he should be monitored daily so is that he doesn't trade his food stamps for non-essential items such as alcohol or tobacco!!!

Some people rile me up!
    exactly.

definitely beer stamps is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Most of the money from alcohol and tobacco goes straight back to the government in taxes and excise duty.

The OP is being very patriotic here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

This is an outrage - The OP should be tracked down and prosecuted for welfare fraud! Either he faces jail and/or else he's given food stamps that equal exactly 2500 calories a day, also he should be monitored daily so is that he doesn't trade his food stamps for non-essential items such as alcohol or tobacco!!!

lol_wut_pear_by_agdued.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

macquarie wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what's your opinion on the bankers/politicans/developers who are in the process of taking between €100 billion and €200 billion of your tax over the next 5-10 years ? If it makes you feel better to criticize someone spending €10 of their dole on alcohol (which a large portion of will go back to the state through duty and VAT anyway) then continue on.

I don't get your point? Do you think I'd say thats alright then? No, bankers, politicians and developers taking that kind of money would be total pricks. But if your in that kinda dept do some math....

How many people on the unemployed... 450,000 I read somewhere. Lets say each one DOES piss a tenner away only a week.

450,000 x 10 = 4.5 million a week.
    Now you said 5-10 years.... 4.5million a week for 5 years = 1,170,000,000, double that for 10 years.
    Well able to cover 200 billion you are on about which needs to be made up.
    I mean if you are so strict on the bankers why aren't you strict on yourself. Every penny counts and everyone needs to do their bit. This is just another example of "Oh its not my fault, why should I do anything"... thats just not on and I'm surprised thats the attitude of so many people who are spouting the whole thing about it being a recession.

Its not the bankers who are going to get the money back, they've ALREADY pissed it away. Its not nice, but its the people of Ireland who need to help get us back on target, like it or not. Surely thats not an unreasonable statement and if it is, then god help us.

Having said that your pulling figures out of your arse. Give me a name of one banker, politician or developer who will get away with taking such money into their own pocket in the next 5-10 years given whats already been found out about the last 10 years. We are talking about making up the debt that is owed... you are talking about those responsible CREATING more debt? WHAT?

Lads, give over. We all have a few pints, go to the cinema, whatever... its life. But the OP was being a dick and trolling for a reaction and I'm fairly shocked at the amont of spport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Some people rile me up!

If this was government policy, he'd be better off in jail.

But then doesn't it cost more to keep someone in jail than on the dole?

You have failed and are sacked from your job as Minister of Social Protection. Down the dole office with ya. And if you spend any of that money on non-essentials such as Spar coca cola or Tayto, be aware that you could find yerself in Mountjoy, sniffing smuggled in crack and prison-made poteen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

Copper23 wrote: »
    Good to see my taxes are going to good use.

PRSI = paye related social INSURANCE, so no not your taxes.

Thanks Captain Pedantic. I'm pretty sure I pay all my taxes, deductions, levies, and whatever else you want to cover. So yeah, I'm pretty sure I and most people here pay into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

Thanks Captain Pedantic. I'm pretty sure I pay all my taxes, deductions, levies, and whatever else you want to cover. So yeah, I'm pretty sure I and most people here pay into it.

Great, so you can climb down off that high horse then!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 whadyasay

How do figure booze as a non-essential item?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

But if your in that kinda dept do some math....

How many people on the unemployed... 450,000 I read somewhere. Lets say each one DOES piss a tenner away only a week.

Now you said 5-10 years.... 4.5million a week for 5 years = 1,170,000,000, double that for 10 years.

So you say 1.17 billion over 5 years or 2.34 billion saved over 10 years is more than enough to cover 200 billion? I think you under estimate the problem. Its 100 times worse than you realise.

Back on topic, If your on the dole, sure most can manage to go out for the odd drink however if you are on the dole & in the terrible financial position of being down to last €10 then I dont believe you should be spending any of that €10 on drink. Even if you need zero additional money until next payment, this €10 should go to cover future emergency situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

Ok I shall try and steer this back to the drinking!

If you hail from Dublin there is an off license in rathmines called Deveneys...they have the most wonderful thing...a recession fridge, where a 500ml bottle of koppaberg is 1.50!

They have many different types of booze in this fridge but recently they have had this box of organic cider, it is like 3litres and at something like 7.3alco volume.. for a fiver!so go enjoy it, in all its glory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Some people rile me up!

2500 calories a day? That's ridiculous. He'd survive fine on 1600.

Again, make your own. I have two bottles full of sweet, sweet nectar (literally, it's mead) slowly clearing. Hell of a kick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Confab wrote: »
    Again, make your own. I have two bottles full of sweet, sweet nectar (literally, it's mead) slowly clearing. Hell of a kick too.

Do you really want unemployed people fermenting highly unstable material:rolleyes:

On the op
    For a tenner

10 cans of Bass @€;1 a can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I don't get your point? Do you think I'd say thats alright then? No, bankers, politicians and developers taking that kind of money would be total pricks. But if your in that kinda dept do some math....

I mean if you are so strict on the bankers why aren't you strict on yourself. Every penny counts and everyone needs to do their bit. This is just another example of "Oh its not my fault, why should I do anything"... thats just not on and I'm surprised thats the attitude of so many people who are spouting the whole thing about it being a recession.

Its not the bankers who are going to get the money back, they've ALREADY pissed it away. Its not nice, but its the people of Ireland who need to help get us back on target, like it or not. Surely thats not an unreasonable statement and if it is, then god help us.

Having said that your pulling figures out of your arse. Give me a name of one banker, politician or developer who will get away with taking such money into their own pocket in the next 5-10 years given whats already been found out about the last 10 years. We are talking about making up the debt that is owed... you are talking about those responsible CREATING more debt? WHAT?

Lads, give over. We all have a few pints, go to the cinema, whatever... its life. But the OP was being a dick and trolling for a reaction and I'm fairly shocked at the amont of spport.

Hey look we're in a hole, so we might as well keep diggin.
    I'd rather be hung for a sheep than a lamb.
    A beer in the hand is worth two in the...erm...bushmills. :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I ashamed of ye all, forgetting the oldest student trick in the book.

Donate a pint of blood.
    ( in times past you would even be given a bottle of Guinness to get a head start )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The only change in excise duty on beer since 1994 has been that the duty on beers of 2.8% or less was halved

you would have to drink twice as much but it should be very cheap if anyone actually bothered to stock lower alcohol beers

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Do you really want unemployed people fermenting highly unstable material:rolleyes:

It's not plutonium. And being unemployed doesn't alter your intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

4 pack of Druids
    Naggin of Huzzar
    Can of Kick

Pretend your sixteen and in a bush. A third of the way through the tenner you should be already ransacking your music folders for things to sing along to alone in your room. You be wrecked.

mickdw wrote: »
    So you say 1.17 billion over 5 years or 2.34 billion saved over 10 years is more than enough to cover 200 billion? I think you under estimate the problem. Its 100 times worse than you realise.

Why are we talking about an imaginary 200 billion? What developer or politician will be allowed pocket 200 billion of our money in the next 5-10 years as the person asked stated.

And yeah, if you have 450,000 people taking tenner a week for 10 years thats a good chunk of change. Chances are its a lot more than 10 a week. If you think my figures are wrong then I think YOU are underestimating.

Come on guys, get real here. Who do you think is gonna dig the country out if everyone is out to sit themselves and get what they can... isnt that what the bankers did? Problem is they were in a position to do it big scale. But they aren't gonna be paying it back out of their own pockets any time soon. Like it or not its the people of Ireland who are stuck to dig us out and judging by this thread the majority of Irish people couldnt care about anyone but themselves so basically yeah, the country IS fooked, with that sort of attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

strobe wrote: »
    Bottle of Schooner wine from Tesco for 4.50 euro and a naggin of Glens vodka for 5.50. Exactly a tenner.

And maybe borrow a euro or two for a mixer......
    but great post could not have spent a 10'r better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Why are we talking about an imaginary 200 billion? What developer or politician will be allowed pocket 200 billion of our money in the next 5-10 years as the person asked stated.

And yeah, if you have 450,000 people taking tenner a week for 10 years thats a good chunk of change. Chances are its a lot more than 10 a week. If you think my figures are wrong then I think YOU are underestimating.

Come on guys, get real here. Who do you think is gonna dig the country out if everyone is out to sit themselves and get what they can... isnt that what the bankers did? Problem is they were in a position to do it big scale. But they aren't gonna be paying it back out of their own pockets any time soon. Like it or not its the people of Ireland who are stuck to dig us out and judging by this thread the majority of Irish people couldnt care about anyone but themselves so basically yeah, the country IS fooked, with that sort of attitude.

A good way to help the economy is by spending money, such as by spending €10 a week on drink. A lot of which is tax any way.

The TOTAL amount of dole ~ 10K a year so 10 years is

4,500,000,000 which is only 4.5 Billion , cba working it out but would be covered by less than 1% difference in the interest rate we get from IMF over that time - it's less than 10% of Anglo

Also most of that money goes back in to the economy within the same week, the developers money we won't see again

(I haven't included rent or fuel allowences etc, since they are handed over to property holders or imports / tax)

re drink, government get 21% of that back in VAT and about 20c per can too in excise for something like the 75c cans about 50c goes back to the state , (cba doing exact calcs but it's even more in the case of fags)

The TOTAL amount of dole ~ 10K a year so 10 years is

4,500,000,000 which is only 4.5 Billion , cba working it out but would be covered by less than 1% difference in the interest rate we get from IMF over that time - it's less than 10% of Anglo

Also most of that money goes back in to the economy within the same week, the developers money we won't see again

(I haven't included rent or fuel allowences etc, since they are handed over to property holders or imports / tax)

re drink, government get 21% of that back in VAT and about 20c per can too in excise for something like the 75c cans about 50c goes back to the state , (cba doing exact calcs but it's even more in the case of fags)

Why quote half my post to take only the context you want and then spout a load of crap that VAT from buying drink will save the country while not wasting tax money in the first place won't? Give us a break.

Why quote half my post to take only the context you want and then spout a load of crap that VAT from buying drink will save the country while not wasting tax money in the first place won't? Give us a break.
    You talk as if cutting social welfare will help pay off the debt. It won't even pay the interest.

Circulating money is the best way to create jobs, and since the banks aren't lending much considering how much they have been given ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

off topic a bit are we not , the lad asked how 2 get smashed cheaply not a f*****G debate on fiscal policy and social morals - start your own thread on bull**** somewhere else !!! back 2 the question in hand i would go the tesco 12 stella option but add the option of turbo drinking , neck the lot and see how ya get on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 listowelbelle

Buy poteen guranteed to keep you pissed for about two days!! As for asshole who says buy a bus pass and get a job!? what planet he on??? if i get a minimum wage job my rent goes from 22 euro a week to 100 a week, deduct tax and take away my medical card and i am 7euro a week less off thn the dole!! ive passed up jobs because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Numb.Muzik

paint stripper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

8 cans of Stonehouse cider. 6%. Current going rate is 4 for €5.

Guaranteed to have the desired effect.

Advertisement