Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i add more RAM to my PC ?

Options
  • 30-01-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

HI
    I need advise I have a ram 4GB-Kit GEIL Ultra Plus PC3-10660 DDR3-1333 CL6 and the motherboard is Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, Intel X58, ATX, PCI-Express. Can i add 4GB more of ram ?? i'm just running Microsoft FSX and the CPU usage is running at 5% to 10% well able for it but the ram is running well over 50%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

jackman1 wrote: »
    HI
    I need advise I have a ram 4GB-Kit GEIL Ultra Plus PC3-10660 DDR3-1333 CL6 and the motherboard is Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, Intel X58, ATX, PCI-Express. Can i add 4GB more of ram ?? i'm just running Microsoft FSX and the CPU usage is running at 5% to 10% well able for it but the ram is running well over 50%
    laziness....................

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You should get a single 2GB module - X58 is triple-channel and the performance will be slightly down in RAM-intensive apps if you don't run modules in groups of three.
    digme wrote: »
    laziness....................

Eh? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I know this is off topic, but the OP puzzles me (and he's not the first person to). I just don't get how somebody can be using enthusiast-grade hardware, eg X58 chipset, and not know that the chipset utilizes tri-channel memory.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I have 2gb of ddr3 1333mhz (on adverts.ie) that would get you to 6gb, which might work in triple channel. If you went up to 8gb you wouldn't have triple. You need 3/6/9/12 gb amounts to run it properly.

Advertisement