Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server + 10 Computers for Customer Credentials

Options
  • 30-01-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I'm feeling good to have finally signed up to Boards.ie :D

I'll apologise in advance as I'm not entirely sure if this thread has been posted already but its fairly specific so I would doubt it.

A collegue and myself have been hired to work on a small company to replace the current setup and install a new server, network 10 computers, capable of storing customer credentials onto the server, only problem is neither of us have any experience with servers.

I presume the networking part is easy enough, similar to computer networking. He's looking to have Windows Server 2008 placed onto the machine, which from what I've researched seems quite straight forward to setup.

What I'm having difficulties contemplating is how will I configure the server to accept information coming from the computers and only storing it on the server itself?

They're also looking to have one very old looking printer kept with the server and shared to all computers. The sharing isn't the part I'm confused on but is it possible that the newer servers would have the port for this?

I apologise yet again for any vague details, please give me a reply requesting more information and I will try and do my best to explain.

Thanks in advance,
    FeenuX

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

FeenuX wrote: »
    A collegue and myself have been hired to work on a small company to replace the current setup and install a new server, network 10 computers, capable of storing customer credentials onto the server, only problem is neither of us have any experience with servers.

Does the company know that you are winging it? Don't get me wrong I get that we all have/had to start somewhere but it seems from your post how have no idea what you are doing and that's a good way to get sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Sorry but + 1 to above, I think you are winging too much...

Find some System admin and give him €50 to help you. You will learn a lot in the process and the company will have a better system thanks to both of you.

Its all fairly easy to install but its also fairly easy to screw it up for the long run...

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I would hire two people who do know what they're doing to do it for you :)

amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭francois

FeenuX wrote: »
    Hello everyone, this is my first post and I'm feeling good to have finally signed up to Boards.ie :D

I'll apologise in advance as I'm not entirely sure if this thread has been posted already but its fairly specific so I would doubt it.

I presume the networking part is easy enough, similar to computer networking. He's looking to have Windows Server 2008 placed onto the machine, which from what I've researched seems quite straight forward to setup.

What I'm having difficulties contemplating is how will I configure the server to accept information coming from the computers and only storing it on the server itself?

They're also looking to have one very old looking printer kept with the server and shared to all computers. The sharing isn't the part I'm confused on but is it possible that the newer servers would have the port for this?

I apologise yet again for any vague details, please give me a reply requesting more information and I will try and do my best to explain.

Thanks in advance,
    FeenuX

Setup a 2008 domain, it is relatively easy to do, there are lots of resources for it-is there a domain in place already? You can upgrade this Don't forget server 2008 is 64bit, so make sure you have the correct hardware, use RAID as well
    Place DNS and DHCP on the server-Make sure to get the DNS setup correctly this is very important, again, there are loads of resources for this
    PLan everything out carefully
    Even old legacy printers should have 2008 64bit drivers, if not you can always hang it off an XP box and share that way

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

francois wrote: »
    You can upgrade this Don't forget server 2008 is 64bit,

:confused:

It's available in 32bit also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭francois

ntlbell wrote: »
    :confused:

It's available in 32bit also

Apologies so it is-it will be the last of the 32bit servers from MS

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FeenuX

Thanks for everyones replies to the thread, before I had posted we were discussing that we have no problem passing this job up to save face and give it to someone more experienced.

The idea of paying someone €50 for some advice is also another idea we had been considering, we went from fixing a few minor problems on private PC's and out of the blue this company called us so we said we'd quote them, they've done the same with other PC installation companies anyway so they're not short on choice.

We'd rather sit out and not mess up the installation and get ourselves sued, I have found a couple of people that would have no problem helping us sit through the server installation and setup etc just not in the time frame that this guy needs it done so I guess we'll be sitting it out. Thanks alot for your help guys, I appreciate all the opinions and advice!

Thanks,
    FeenuX

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Hi,

I have to agree with SouperComputer, you should not be attempting this by yourselves. You seem to be struggling with the basic concepts of file and print sharing therefore you should albsolutley NOT be trying your hand at active directory/ dns / dhcp / etc configuration. Reading some stuff on the web is no substitute for experience.

Have you given any consideration to a backup's strategy, Firewall configuration, Anti virus, Email or troubleshooting problems after the install?

Given the number of users Windows Small Business Server seems a better fit anyway.

Get a professional to help / do the job or you'll find yourself in over your head in no time.

LoGiE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Hi FeenuX,

Once its setup and running, you could always come back with questions about bits that you didnt understand and get more learning that way.

Welcome to Boards by the way, forgot to say it earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Yes, welcome to boards :)

It sounds like what you need is "at the elbow" support. Even if you pay someone (to help you) a little more than you are charging, it might be the cheapest and most useful training you might ever get.

Yes, in essence, all going well setting up a domain controller (or adding one) can be easy but when things go pear shaped you will want to have some answers and solutions for your customer, and for yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

i can't believe what i'm reading here...no offence to the OP,but i'm shocked...

is that the state of Irish business-es if they needs to save moneys in any ways ,with any risks !??

then is time to join the queue at the T2...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

IMO, you should consider the current version of Windows Small Business Server. If you don't have any experience with administering Windows domains, it takes a lot of the hassle out of it with the admin console, and it bundles Exchange and a cut-down Sharepoint.

What infrastructure already exists? Are you doing a complete re-architecture or layering on top of what's already there?

Personally, I have had no issues ever with Dell servers. They are reasonably priced, have some good warranty options and are reliable, if not all that glamorous.

You need to consider such things as redundant storage (RAID etc). The quantities of data that will be stored, and a good idea of how this will accumulate over time, so allow for plenty of upward scaling.

Edit - btw, I fail to see what's so shocking here. Everyone starts somewhere, and rather than going in totally blind, the OP is doing research. Agreed, there is no substitute for experience, but I don't see anywhere that the OP is prepared to go it completely alone.

Will they require external access? VPN? Remote Desktop?

You will also need to factor in such mitigatory factors as backups and security/anti-malware. Make sure you script an actual disaster recovery scenario, rather than just saying 'well, we have backups'. You need to know, from beginning to end, how you will recover in the event of a catastrophic failure, or even just a single drive going down.

Advertisement