Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leisure Cycling in Waterford

• 30-01-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi Folks, I have recently taken up cycling and cant believe the enjoyment I am getting from it. I have a Giant Escape 4 Hybrid, can average 22- 24kph and can readily manage 50km per spin. I am still reluctant to join the clubs as I have no interest in progressing to racing - or have the budget for a road bike! My point is (finally!) I am starting to find it tedious during the cycle when out on my own and am wondering are there any like minded / common ability cyclists that would be up for a 50K spin early on Sunday mornings starting somewhere south of the city?
    Drop me a line or point me in the right direction, I would be grateful.

(FYI I have posted a similar thread in the Cycling & County Forum.)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Head over to

http://sportifwaterfordcc.blogspot.com/

We've over 70 members and we cater for all aspects of cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Headdy

Thanks I'll check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Head over to

cool La Taverna sponsor you. I know the owner of that place. really nice chap. gwon Christian

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Head over to

I went over to this site as i was interested in joining.
    I asked to become a member on the site as i wanted to get a feel of things there first before i go along to anything but they refused me as i wasn't a member of the club.
    How do they expect to get new members when you can't even go to the forums to see whats going on first.
    And before you say why don't you just show up some saturday morning, i am on the shy side :o

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Headdy

Hi Cococoady,
    I tried that too but can understand why they dont let anyone on the forum - they mightn't even have control over it!
    Anyway, I appreciate you may be nervous just to show up - if you pm me you can tag along with me as I start on sat/sun this week, I have met some of the lads before and they're a grand bunch, dont be put off.
    I'm just worried they will speed off into the distance!

• Advertisement

cococoady wrote: »
    I went over to this site as i was interested in joining.
    I asked to become a member on the site as i wanted to get a feel of things there first before i go along to anything but they refused me as i wasn't a member of the club.
    How do they expect to get new members when you can't even go to the forums to see whats going on first.
    And before you say why don't you just show up some saturday morning, i am on the shy side :o

I accept the point that you make however, the members forum was set up with the sole purpose, to allow current members discuss spins, training plans and up and coming events. These discussions were taking place on the blog initially, but it was felt that alot of the stuff been discussed could have been off putting to potential new members, especially those people that may only be taking up cycling for the first time.

It was decided to create a members only forum for all these discussions to take part. If you go back over the previous posts on the blog, you can get a good insight to what sort of spins we do, and some of the routes which we head out on.

Headdy wrote: »
    Hi Cococoady,
    I tried that too but can understand why they dont let anyone on the forum - they mightn't even have control over it!
    Anyway, I appreciate you may be nervous just to show up - if you pm me you can tag along with me as I start on sat/sun this week, I have met some of the lads before and they're a grand bunch, dont be put off.

I can assure you that you will not be left behind if you turn up on any of our spins, all I would say to you is pick the group you are most comfortable with. The 9am group on Saturdays are generally the group 3s, this group would average around 28kmph, over a distance of 100km, the group 2's would generally cover distances of 60-80km at an average of about 25/26kmph. This group goes out at 9.30am on Saturdays. There is also a beginers group tha goes out at 10.30am, this group covers distances of up to 50km at an average of 22/24kmph.

I can assure you that you will not be left behind if you turn up on any of our spins, all I would say to you is pick the group you are most comfortable with. The 9am group on Saturdays are generally the group 3s, this group would average around 28kmph, over a distance of 100km, the group 2's would generally cover distances of 60-80km at an average of about 25/26kmph. This group goes out at 9.30am on Saturdays. There is also a beginers group tha goes out at 10.30am, this group covers distances of up to 50km at an average of 22/24kmph.

The 10.30 would suit me. Is this run on both Saturday and Sunday?

Headdy wrote: »
    Hi Cococoady,

Thanks for that.
    Will let you know.
    I'll prob go Sunday but it depends on if i have a match the weekend.

Quick question.
    If i do get to go the weekend what will i need to bring me ie) money, gear etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Bike, helmet, yourself, food just to keep you going.

kensutz wrote: »
    Bike, helmet, yourself, food just to keep you going.

Do you do this yourself Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I had to write off most of last year because of illness and injury but I'll be back doing them. The lads are grand and somebody will always be at your side and will get talking to you to make you feel at ease.

Lads, We've created a non members section on the club forum where you will be able to ask any questions you may have about SWCC. Feel free to head over to post any questions you may have.

I guess we shouldnt really be using Boards to promote SWCC any more that we have to, sorry fellow mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

And we (SWCC) have a MTB section also, we would love to see some new faces also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Any of you who would like to join SWCC or just come along for a few spins with us to see what you think, just email me at sportifwaterfordcc@gmail.com and I will answer any queries you may have.

Regards

Paul

And with that i'll close this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement