Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of having a go at the AIPF in April. Your feedback sought!

• 30-01-2011 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm thinking of having a crack at the AIPF in April. I've chosen to do a travel panel and the theme is Paris. I also decided to move out of my comfort zone a bit and try a black and white panel. I just think that Paris and black and white photography go so well together.

I'm heading oto Paris next Saturday for the day (flying out early morning and back on late flight - costing me about 20 euros :) ) so I can get a few more shots to give myself options and can do another day trip beforehand if needed.

Anyway, here is my first draft. your feedback and opinions would be much appreciated.

AIPF%20Panel%20-%20Paris%20-%20800.jpg

Larger size image can be viewed here:

http://www.barryocarrollphotography.com/photos/AIPF%20Panel%20-%20Paris%20-%206000.jpg

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Far be it for me to judge the panel. I haven't one iota as to the requirements. But just a couple of observations on the images from my POV.

Firstly let me say, you have some very nice images there. Some have vignettes and other's don't. The ones that do look like it was added with a rather heavy hand. Maybe feather it off a little and not so dark.

Some of the images have a hdr look off them. Almost like they have too much contrast. Again, I don't know if that will go against you. But they are a little sore on the eyes when overdone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I like the panel but I think I would tame down the hdr thing, otherwise a fantastic set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Love it Barry, dont change a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭PhinglasPhil

I would alter (reverse) the top righthand image so that it isn't leading out of the panel. (All the other three corners point inwards towards the panel - this image is the exception.) A fantastic panel of the highest quality. Best wishes in April.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Nice Panel Barry. I agree that the top right image seems to be leaving the panel and should be moving into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

excellent work Barry, looking forward to seeing the iterations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Some of them are very nice, but I'd agree with oshead; some of the HDR is totally over done with fake looking skies (third from the left on the top, for example, or second from the right on the bottom) and some of the vingettes are too heavy handed.

Second from the right on the top is magnificent. Top left is also very good, if perhaps a little overcooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

there is a distinctions workshop organized by the IPF coming up, i would suggest trying to get to it. you could get some good advise there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Distinctions is world on its own, with own rules, own aesthetics and own members. If you want to get some funny letter behind your name, you should consult with people who reduced focused their creative thinking to get such letters. Broader public might not be able to give you enough directions in such restricted area of photography.
    Distinctions workshop, most likely in your local camera club, might be the best way how to get ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Some good work there, not quite sure about the HDR!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

First of all thank you all for your very helpful feedback. It is always useful and interesting to hear other's opinions.

A few people have pointed out the top right hand photo as not quite fitting due to the woman walking out of the panel so to speak. My original idea was that the 2 statues were looking in towards each other but I agree that the person walking in the opposite direction sort of cancels this out. On Saturday, this is one of the photos I will be looking to replace.

A few have expressed redervations about the use of HDR. While I don't think this would be much of a problem to the judges (my LIPF panel was all HDR) I have been moving away from HDR for a while now anyway and all of the photos will be reprocessed from scratch without HDR. I am gradually working through them although a few are not HDR.

Once again many thanks. I will post up the updated draft after I have finished reprocessing and after I see what shots I get in Paris this weekend. I have nothing fom the Louvre, Arc de Triomphe or in Montmartre so these will be stops on my one day whistlestop tour of Paris on Saturday. I also want to get some cafe scenes, metro signs and some shots of some of the bridges over the Seine. I won't be able to fit everything in but it will give me options. Now fingers crossed for the weather!

Advertisement