Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creosote for fence

• 30-01-2011 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭

Hi all have about 150 metres of 3 bar wooden fence have put preserver on this about twice in last 3 years. It looks ok for about 6 months and then fades quite quickly the stuff I used seems watery.

I painted on with brush rather than roller or sprayer as I thought it would take more, probably used about 30-40 litres

Can anyone recommend a longer lasting preserver someone suggested putting engine oil on fence.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You could have a look at sikkens products. They are the best external wood protecting products I am aware of. http://www.duluxtrade.ie/products/sikkens/index.jsp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Who ever suggested putting engine oil needs serious counciling. Its also illegal. You will also have difficulity getting it to absorb into wet wood.

Most preservers are water based now to protect animal life and plants. There is a creosate subsatue which i hear is quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

I done mine last year with a Woodies Fence treatment, it still looks fine today.

Advertisement