Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saw it vs Sore it.

• 30-01-2011 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I've seen much more of this carry on recently. Just afer Christmas i noticed people saying there was a "thor on" instead of there being a "thaw on".
    If ask where Jenna is, i'll get the reply: "Jennr is upstairs", for example.
    I find it infuriating.

Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

shedweller wrote: »
    I've seen much more of this carry on recently. Just afer Christmas i noticed people saying there was a "thor on" instead of there being a "thaw on".
    If ask where Jenna is, i'll get the reply: "Jennr is upstairs", for example.
    I find it infuriating.

Thoughts anyone?

This has been prevalent by a considerable amount of English people for many years. Now it is catching on here. It would seem that the English do it when a word ending with a vowel is followed by a word beginning with a vowel. Adding an 'r' at the end of the first word makes it easier to pronounce. However, it is not correct English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The Raven. wrote: »
    This has been prevalent by a considerable amount of English people for many years. Now it is catching on here. It would seem that the English do it when a word ending with a vowel is followed by a word beginning with a vowel. Adding an 'r' at the end of the first word makes it easier to pronounce. However, it is not correct English.

I think it is more south of England, my diction isn't particularly good, but I do not put the rogue r in. Probably being picked up from Eastenders and some of the newsreaders :D

I think the worst is on the "activier" ads!
    There are also a number of people who think the drink is called "larger" now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think the worst is on the "activier" ads!
    There are also a number of people who think the drink is called "larger" now...

The auld Dub is not immune from these little idiosyncrasies.

Tenerife =Tellerrife

August= Aurgest

Chicago=Chicargo

Ever notice how the auld Doob always shortens the long vowells?

Broadband= Brodband

Fás = Foss

All of course due to lazy speech and facial muscles,just open your mouth and speak kind of through your throat.

Don't use your tongue /lips under any circumstances... waaaaay too much effort:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Brought and bought... it's not hard, two words - different meanings.

.... don't even start me on txt speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

All of course due to lazy speech and facial muscles,just open your mouth and speak kind of through your throat.

That lazy speech thing is infuriating. Close enough shouldn't be good enough.

But what about people like me that just have strange accents, in my case borne of having lived away from my native land for many years? Do we get no special privileges? I can't help but say "Chicargo" or "beeyah". Must I adopt an Irish accent? And if so, which one?

That lazy speech thing is infuriating. Close enough shouldn't be good enough.

But what about people like me that just have strange accents, in my case borne of having lived away from my native land for many years? Do we get no special privileges? I can't help but say "Chicargo" or "beeyah". Must I adopt an Irish accent? And if so, which one?

Of course not.

Sounds you have been in the Boston area from the 'beeyah'

The 'Chicargo' bit has me flummoxed though, never heard or that in the states.Maybe you pronounce it 'beeah'

South of England maybe.

It's very difficult not to adapt to the local accent as peoples ears are attuned to it, and keep asking people without the accent to repeat themselves.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I suppose if you have that Massachusetts accent that pronounces 'cargo' and 'Chicago' the same way there'd be a tendency to overcompensate by adding an extra R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I don't think I know anyone one who says either Saw it or Sore it.
    Everyone says "I seen it" :(

tuxy wrote: »
    I don't think I know anyone one who says either Saw it or Sore it.
    Everyone says "I seen it" :(

Uh huh buddy.... you are on the ball there, the chavs seem to have taken over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I think it's due to the fact that in England, the "r" at the end of words or syllables isn't pronounced. So for them, "thor" and "thaw" sound the same. In most of the rest of the world the "r" is pronounced.

We are used to adding the r sound into words. Its just that sometimes people add it in to words that don't need it. I remember saying Chicargo as a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

True. Your thor vs thaw is spot on. But take what i just said there "thaw is spot on" What i hear people saying a lot is "thor is spot on" So in the case of an Englishman saying the word "thaw" stays that way until a certain word comes after it. Then it becomes "thor"

Take the song "Brim full of asha" Most of the time they are singing "Brim full of Asher"
    All i can get from this is what The Raven said above; that when a word ending in the letter "a" or "aw" is followed by a vowel, it changes to an "r" sound.
    It's kind of easier to say but really, is there a need to change a word just because jars a little next to some other word?
    I've even misheard peoples names due to this! And from what i can gather, it is mostly people that consider themselves hip and trendy, wearing all the right clothes, seen in all the right places etc.

You wouldn't get farmer John down the road sawring sticks!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Never heard anyone who wasn't English adding the r at the end. Are Irish people really doing this now?

They are indeed.

There is an ad. going around where the child advocating the 'Rochestown Park Hotel' unmistakably refers to it as the 'Rocherstown Park Hotel.'

Also any working class Dub will always refer to Punchestown as Puncherstown.

And Chapelizod as Chapelizard,and of course will call the 'Corporation', the 'Coporation'

Regrettably poor diction of this kind is not confined to the Engerlish:D

Has me beat ,so it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

My pizzer is done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Never heard anyone who wasn't English adding the r at the end. Are Irish people really doing this now?

As a pedant (who used to be more pedantic than I am now), I used to HATE it when my then girlfriend's mother used to talk about a "lozenger".

Advertisement