Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL English: Anybody else NOT doing Hamlet for Single Text?

• 30-01-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

We are doing The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck for our single text. The other HL class are doing Hamlet and EVERYONE I know from other schools are doing Hamlet for the single text. Is this allowed? Is it an advantage or disadvatage?

Is anyone else NOT doing Hamlet for the single text?
    We are doing Hamlet as one of the comparatives, however.
    Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Its definitely allowed, but you must study a Shakespearian play, which you are so it's fine. Can't imagine it'd be a big disadvantage but the Shakespearian play is the longest text on the course (and arguably the most difficult) that I'm doing so you'd think it makes more sense studying it as the stand alone text. But I wouldn't let it bother yeh too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Yeah, we're doing 'A Whistle In Dark' as single text.

The teacher's reasoning was that this is it's first year on the course and whoever's marking the text won't know it inside out like Hamlet so it should be easier to pick up marks for points that aren't particularly fresh or deep.

I'm considering shoving it into the Comparative (it's just THAT boring), but I don't like the idea of writing an essay comparing three texts where all the protagonists are called Michael!!! Seriously whoever set the texts was someone obviously really into himself called Michael :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Yep we're doing Wuthering Heights as our stand alone text and using Hamlet in our Comparative. I wasn't even aware that practically everyone was doing Hamlet as their stand alone until I recently. I went on a revision course and out of a class of 60 from schools all over Cork I was the only person not doing Hamlet as a stand alone. The teacher there basically told me that our school was mad doing WH as our stand alone :/
    I think as well that Hamlet is very easy to write about and we'd be better off doing it but its too late now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Yep we're doing Wuthering Heights as our stand alone text and using Hamlet in our Comparative. I wasn't even aware that practically everyone was doing Hamlet as their stand alone until I recently. I went on a revision course and out of a class of 60 from schools all over Cork I was the only person not doing Hamlet as a stand alone. The teacher there basically told me that our school was mad doing WH as our stand alone :/
    I think as well that Hamlet is very easy to write about and we'd be better off doing it but its too late now :(

Yeah that's super annoying cos you're not doing a play you can't switch in the exam. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

We're doing A Whistle In The Dark as our main text, it's great. We got to see the play as well and I'm able to answer pretty much any question on it without too much difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

We're doing 'A Doll's House' and Hamlet as our comparative!

:P

Advertisement