Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour policy on technology and innovation ( and Broadband)

• 30-01-2011 5:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Released today.

http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/enterpriseinnovationgrowth.pdf

Labour have seemingly heard that cloud computing is a big buzzword so cloud is mentioned 7 times while broadband is mentioned ONCE as a sort of cloud computing accessory.
    Actively encourage new businesses that are cloud-focused. Review broadband pricing and policies of commercial and other providers to ensure that any obstacles to the adoption of cloud computing are removed
    ISA to create and fund a program to actively encourage the use of cloud
    computing throughout all sectors

"Review" FFS :(:(

Anyway they released something much better on monday, they call it the Digital Ireland plan.

http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/planfordigialireland.pdf

I have edited my first post and added to this thread below.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Released today.

http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/enterpriseinnovationgrowth.pdf

Sadly it was written by Dogbert :(. Labour have seemingly heard that cloud computing is a big buzzword so cloud is mentioned 7 times while broadband is mentioned ONCE as a sort of cloud computing accessory.

Platitudes and cliches and no strategy at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Wow :O How hard is it to find someone with at least half a clue to advise them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

In situations like this, I find it's best to leave the pictures do the talking :(

facepalm2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

did fine gale or sin feeeeen publish anything about plans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

calex71 wrote: »
    In situations like this, I find it's best to leave the pictures do the talking :(

facepalm2.jpg

A picture says a thousand words!

I dont think we have to worry about Labour getting in lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

What any government should do no matter who they are is take over the whole broadband debacle.

A national network/grid should be controlled by the government (similar to Eirgrid) and rent the bandwidth of that network to the telco's.

That way government controls the strategic development of the system. Look at the way the NRA has rolled out the motorways in the past ten years, it makes good sense as a model to use.

Government can create jobs and get an excellent return on its investment and the private sector can focus on innovation & developing the products to give us that competitive edge with the benefit of keeping the governments feet down to earth and their heads out of the clouds!

ComReg should be closed down... it doesn't work and hasn't worked for a long time and won't work going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭kaahooters

What any government should do no matter who they are is take over the whole broadband debacle.

A national network/grid should be controlled by the government (similar to Eirgrid) and rent the bandwidth of that network to the telco's.

That way government controls the strategic development of the system. Look at the way the NRA has rolled out the motorways in the past ten years, it makes good sense as a model to use.

Government can create jobs and get an excellent return on its investment and the private sector can focus on innovation & developing the products to give us that competitive edge with the benefit of keeping the governments feet down to earth and their heads out of the clouds!

ComReg should be closed down... it doesn't work and hasn't worked for a long time and won't work going forward.

the irish government would not be alowed under competition laws to do this.

the funniest part of this is the highlighted part.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Certainly reads like they heard the new buzz word and just decided to roll with it, fools :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

And, just when we thought it could'nt get worse... Michael Martin announces his front bench,
    Spokesperson on Communications, Energy & Natural Resources Willie O'Dea TD

I despair, I truly do.

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

jbkenn wrote: »
    And, just when we thought it could'nt get worse... Michael Martin announces his front bench,

I despair, I truly do.

jbkenn

FFS, even bigger faceplam :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Any mention of Willie O Dea takes us into verrryy special facepalm territory indeed. :(

7857_0b0f.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Any mention of Willie O Dea takes us into verrryy special facepalm territory indeed. :(

7857_0b0f.jpeg

or theres always this:
    http://www.newstalk.ie/wp-content/files/2010/02/Willie-ODea-Gun.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/planfordigialireland.pdf

It appears they did have a separate plan for broadband provision and other connected issues but our friend "Cloud Computing" does crop up in it again!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I despair, I truly do.

jbkenn

Oh ffs,
    All we need now is for Sinn Fein to put toward Krusty the Clown

I had to actually look at their website before I believed this, they might as well have put Jackie Healy Rae in charge for all the good it'll do.

Advertisement