Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC hourly disconnection

• 30-01-2011 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I'm in Dublin 15 at the moment, and i'm having the problem that at 5 minutes past the hour, every hour, exactly. I either get disconnected for a minute or so, or get a massive lag spike.

Is anybody else having the same trouble, Its been happening for around 4/5 days now, and its becoming rediculous having to plan things around disconnections.

Any views would be great.

Edit: I'm on a 30mb fibre power line.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

Yep, having the same problem here in Dublin 11. You could set your watch by it.

My phone goes down too?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 0Default0

Haven't checked the phone yet, but the TV appears to be fine. Its becoming a bit of a joke as its at always at the exact same time, otherwise the connection is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

Im also in Dublin 11, but I dont think its happening to me.
    Btw did yous ring Customer Support?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Same in Santry.

Rang up customer support, got onto a guy called Alan.

He tried to be helpful, and just got me to change the router channel from 11 to 6.. so we'll see how that works

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

0Default0 wrote: »
    Rang up customer support, got onto a guy called Alan.

He tried to be helpful, and just got me to change the router channel from 11 to 6.. so we'll see how that works

that will only affect your wireless.

unless your wireless is causing problems, maybe from interference from say a microwave, then you got fobbed off the phone by him.

that will only affect your wireless.

unless your wireless is causing problems, maybe from interference from say a microwave, then you got fobbed off the phone by him.

I assumed it'd be a fob off, but he wouldn't do much for me without the billpayer here, which is fairly rediculous considering i'm ringing from the phone connected to the account.

Can't see it being my wireless only, i'll check it with an ethernet cable, closer to the time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its nothing to do with the wireless. I have a hardwired connection to the modem & the wireless is disabled.

Yep, did the exact same thing 10 minutes ago while connected to the router via ethernet. Not the wireless.

Bloody joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

In D13 - offline all day. "Link" light is flashing on UPC modem, but "Online" light is on... which surely it shouldn't be!?

• Advertisement

In D13 - offline all day. "Link" light is flashing on UPC modem, but "Online" light is on... which surely it shouldn't be!?

I had one case of that today. Did you try restarting the modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

Ye, restarting the modem fixed neearly every disconnecting problem I ever had.
    Unplug it, leave it for a min or two, plug it back in.
    Btw I'm in Charlestown, D11 and i dont have this problem :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

My connection was misbehaving - not sure if as regular as for other posters. I tried changing the DNS Server to Google and things have smoothed out nicely.

This seems to have settled down a bit.
    No disconnections today. Anybody else?

Still getting them from what i know. I'll tell you in 45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Im getting this problem too - only got UPC installed today and is working perfectly just disconnecting every hour for around 1min. Just wondered if anyone found out the cause of this? Spoke to UPC and they are saying its a faulty modem but have my suspicions!

I would say there are too many people here experiencing the same for it to be a faulty modem.

Yeah, it was a total fob off I am sure. I hope they can sort this and beside the hourly disconnections it is proving a much better service than Eircom. But I really can't be doing with disconnectiong every bloody hour, even if it is only for 1 minute.

Was messing around on the Cisco EPC2425 setup and in LAN IP Address Management the Lease Time is set to 3600. I was curious if this was seconds (seeing as 3600secs = 1 hour) so I changed it to 120 and sure enough within 2 minutes the modem reset it self. Now, I don't really have too much of a clue what I am doing, but could it be a case that this is incorrectly set or I wonder does it mean a fault on my line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

Ronan wrote: »
    Was messing around on the Cisco EPC2425 setup and in LAN IP Address Management the Lease Time is set to 3600. I was curious if this was seconds (seeing as 3600secs = 1 hour) so I changed it to 120 and sure enough within 2 minutes the modem reset it self. Now, I don't really have too much of a clue what I am doing, but could it be a case that this is incorrectly set or I wonder does it mean a fault on my line?

Either set it to 0 or a really high number.

• Advertisement

Thanks /\/ollog - Yeah, I was going to set it to a day late at night to minimise the impact for me, however I don't want to apply a 'work-a-round' if there is a fundamental problem. Also, my phone still isn't active (install was yesterday), but support rep said that was faulty modem with no checking, so I want to be fully armed with all the facts I can get when I call back to complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭Damien360

I set mine to 7200. The modem does not reset as I have been on the phone when it happened to the PC and the phone remained working. It is exactkly what it says, your IP lease time. It will renew the connection every 3600 seconds in your case. It becomes an issue when I play online. I can set my watch by it. My PS3 is wired to the router and it happens to this also. All routers have this but for some reason the cisco rubbish takes forever to renew and drops the PC off the network for about 5 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I can't see any point in a LAN IP address renewal. There's no safety benefit that I can think of or any other benefit even. Setting the DCHP renewal time to zero should do the trick. I can see how it's a kludge but for the fact that it sidesteps the issue completely and with no ill consequence whatsoever.

Unfortunately You can't enter 0 as a Lease time for the DHCP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

Down again tonight, back up at 01.10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

Unfortunately You can't enter 0 as a Lease time for the DHCP.

You can enter -1..

Automatically set it to that when i typed in 9999999

interesting. I have a tech coming out tomorrow (as it is a new install), as UPC say it is a fault with the modem/install.

Line is perfect though beside that, geting a solid 19.8mbs and 2.5mb/s on downloads over wireless (on 20mb package). So I am hoping this is fixed and then happy days!

Just to follow up. UPC came out and replaced the modem and everything appears to be working fine now (no disconnects). settings are unchanged on the modem. So perhaps it was just a faulty modem (perhaps a common fault)

I haven't had them in a while, so maybe a coincidence ,,,

• Advertisement

Maybe, but I was having them upto this morning. Then as soon as it is changed all is good. Having said that who knows what else the tech did in regards to fixing the line etc.. still all is good for now so won't complain

Advertisement