Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oats, Wheat and Barley

Options
  • 30-01-2011 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever grow oats?
    They are on sale at irishseedsavers.

If so, when does one plant.
    I know its a fairly hardy crop - but does it need full sun.
    Any particular fertilizer?

I think home grown Irish oats could possibly make for good Tabbouleh recipe

Also - does anyone know where I could find duram wheat or barley to make bulgar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

You might be better asking in the Farming and Forestry Forum.

I do remember my Grandfather saying Oats were very easy to grow, Every farm had them as horse feed. You still see wild oats growing in wheat and barley crops years after they were last grown as a crop in that particular spot of land.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 westportpoultry

Funnily enough I used to keep alot of chickens and part of their diet was oats which i bought from the co-op but after a while and a mixture of chicken manure I had a sponatneous growth of Oats up to 4ft tall! So chicken manure would be exellent or even get a few chickens to clean up a patch and literally just scatter a heap of oats.!! Oats from co-op 20kg cost 8 euro.

Advertisement